• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Novice recommendations please - GRMS and FRS

MJW89519

American, 100% American.
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I have five Baofeng UV-82HP and would like to revisit recommended settings. I have GRMS license. Regular use is outdoors where we don't have mobile signal so we can still communicate with each other. I'd like to do it right and with optimum settings. Any basic configuration guidance, recommended regular usage and emergency frequencies, and so forth? Anything online to recommend for further reading or watching?

Thanks!

MJW89519

American, 100% American.
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I did not start this post to engage in a discussion of what is legal and illegal. There are already plenty of discussions across the Internet, including quoting the FCC, on these radios. They are sold legally, and they have legal usage. To the best of what I’ve seen since I first purchased some of these radios seven years ago, there has been no FCC enforcement action against Baofeng or retailers such as Amazon. Nor any action against users. I got my first FCC license myself in 1977 but I am not a ham radio operator today, nor do I have any interest any longer in that. Apologies that i did not spell out that I am not using these as amateur radios. I am just using these radios for personal use, which is legal on FRS.