• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

No start

xxiiiliv

Active member (5.56mm)
Wife’s 2017 Jeep wouldn’t start this am. I checked it, no lights, no horn. No sound at all when trying to start. Checked voltage, 12v. Jumped battery, started immediately. I’ve shut it down, turned lights on and started it twice now. Running has 14 volts at battery. She did leave her small dashcam plugged in all night, but, really? Any thoughts? We’re going to have the system checked this afternoon at autozone

Bonez

Well-known member (45 ACP)
Dirty contacts between the battery and starter or loose enough that the available power wasn't enough to arc enough?

Fogie

Swimming Pool Monkey
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Dirty/loose battery terminals

mbogo

Bwana Mkubwa
Forum Supporter
Batteries die prematurely out here due to the high heat. My cars are garaged and I've had to replace the batteries in all of them after 3-4 years here.

mbogo

Harley

BANNED FOR LIFE+10 Because he dared me to do it!
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
X2 on the battery. Load test it.

Bonez

Well-known member (45 ACP)
I did check all of the above. I’m going to guess the battery, since after it sat a few hours now, it’s as dead as can be. She bought the Jeep used, so no idea if battery was abused
Yep - that makes perfect sense; don't forget to check your (distilled ONLY) water levels in the batteries from time to time if it is a serviceable battery (i.e. not sealed gel battery)

Harley

Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
Look into AGM batteries. A bit more cost but lasts longer. Im going on 5+ years with the one in my truck. It also came with a 5 year waranty. Stay away from the Optima brand. General census is their level of quality really went downhill when they went overseas

Fogie

Swimming Pool Monkey
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Look into AGM batteries. A bit more cost but lasts longer. Im going on 5+ years with the one in my truck. It also came with a 5 year waranty. Stay away from the Optima brand. General census is their level of quality really went downhill when they went overseas
I put an Autozone AGM in the Titan work truck, work duty ate batteries. So far, so good.
The YellowTop Optima in my Raptor is more than eleven years old, was in my Bronco before. I'm sorry to hear about the consensus RE overseas.

Harley

Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
I put an Autozone AGM in the Titan work truck, work duty ate batteries. So far, so good.
The YellowTop Optima in my Raptor is more than eleven years old, was in my Bronco before. I'm sorry to hear about the consensus RE overseas.
You got one of the good ones.
I guess they shut down US production back around 09 and thats when quality started slipping. The reviews after the move was enough for me not want to spend the money on one. But as always, results may vary and I’m sure there are people that still swear by them.

Fogie

Swimming Pool Monkey
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
You got one of the good ones.
I guess they shut down US production back around 09 and thats when quality started slipping. The reviews after the move was enough for me not want to spend the money on one. But as always, results may vary and I’m sure there are people that still swear by them.
Oh Jeez..I figured mine must have been a pre-move unit.

Ka Lbo

Nut case
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
Same sort of issue once on my 2015 RAM. Interior reading light left on. Battery totally dead...no lights, horn...nothing. Jumped quickly. Ran for 15 minutes. Shut down. Restarted promptly.

Auto zone load tested for free. Battery good.

That was six months ago. No issues since.

xxiiiliv

Active member (5.56mm)
Same sort of issue once on my 2015 RAM. Interior reading light left on. Battery totally dead...no lights, horn...nothing. Jumped quickly. Ran for 15 minutes. Shut down. Restarted promptly.

Auto zone load tested for free. Battery good.

That was six months ago. No issues since.
Yep, autozone, new AGM, just a hair under $200. Can’t wait til my Denali needs batteries $$$

JohnnyK

"My name is NOT Johnny!"
Forum Supporter
Battery brands? There are basically 3 main manufacturing companies, in no specific order, Johnson Controls; Exide; East Penn. Between them they make virtually all of the OE batteries in US built automobiles, the majority that are0 sold in the big-box auto parts stores, and the lion's share of private label brands. Most other "famous brands" are made by these players.

Harley

Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
You say OE batteries. I dont think they installing AGMs or gel cells at the factory. Most are still the old lead cells

JohnnyK

"My name is NOT Johnny!"
Forum Supporter
At no point Did I specify which type of battery... I merely stated that these three manufacturers make the vast majority of the batteries consumers will see... BTW, East Penn has been supplying Harley Davidson with AGM batteries for almost 2 decades...

Harley

Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
At no point Did I specify which type of battery... I merely stated that these three manufacturers make the vast majority of the batteries consumers will see... BTW, East Penn has been supplying Harley Davidson with AGM batteries for almost 2 decades...
Ya missed my point but thats ok.