New to hunting out west

LASCHRIS

In post 12 I quoted 2018. Nothing about foot pounds @100 yards. My question is; who are the educated fools who write these regulations? Looks like lots of rules one could violate, out of confusion, and be cited for by the wardens. "gotya". It would make things lots more clear if "gun guys" were allowed input in these rules.

Fogie

Swimming Pool Monkey
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
I have a .223 box that has the velocities/energy on the end flap..1006fp @ 100yds. It seems to never get empty.

Until the NRS law is off the books doesn't matter what the Regs say. Law is Law.

Today's bullet technology has really helped smaller calibers perform. With that said I still wouldn't use a .223 Rem for large game. My 1:7" Twist 220 Swift on the other hand maybe.

buckmeister2

uber n00b
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
http://www.eregulations.com/nevada/hunting/weapons-regulations/

http://www.ndow.org/uploadedFiles/n...-142-Hunting-big-game-mammal-with-firearm.pdf

Myself, a .243 100g softpoint, or any .308 will work good. I read somewhere the trick with antelope meat is to field dress, skin, and cool ASAP. I understand it is very good to eat if processed, and prepared properly. I gave up hunting years ago for personal reasons.

What ever you use, remember to play it safe.

IMO, antelope is far better than deer. The hide is very thick, so immediate field dressing and cooling is important. Once cooled, no diff handling than deer/elk. Cooks faster in the pan, though.

edwillia

uber n00b
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
I recently built a 6.5 Grendel using the battle born lower that I got supporting the Nevada Firearms Coalition. With the proper loads it has 1000 foot pounds out to about 300 yards and has plenty of velocity even past that. If you can't use your .223 anymore for hunting consider just getting a new upper with 6.5 Grendel. I just read an article where a guy filled his freezer with elk, antelope and deer using a 6.5 Grendel pistol. Its easy to find 6.5 bullets now, because of 6.5 Creedmoor, but 6.5 Grendels are still a little slow going so I simply bought brass, dies and made my own. Just an idea for those whom like their AR 15, but want to be sure to abide by the law. The other advantage is you don't need to register a new upper, the government does not regulate uppers, only lowers.

Last edited:

pick_six

Adjusting to the west!
Forum Supporter
With regard to swapping uppers, at one point that sounded good to me.

I have a CVA 243/50 cal ml combo. But it just never did the trick for me. I would just rather go with two different rifles. Just my personal opinion.

Not that it’s a bad idea, but it just didn’t work out as well as I thought.

I recently built a 6.5 Grendel using the battle born lower that I got supporting the Nevada Firearms Coalition. With the proper loads it has 1000 foot pounds out to about 300 yards and has plenty of velocity even past that. If you can't use your .223 anymore for hunting consider just getting a new upper with 6.5 Grendel. I just read an article where a guy filled his freezer with elk, antelope and deer using a 6.5 Grendel pistol. Its easy to find 6.5 bullets now, because of 6.5 Creedmoor, but 6.5 Grendels are still a little slow going so I simply bought brass, dies and made my own. Just an idea for those whom like their AR 15, but want to be sure to abide by the law. The other advantage is you don't need to register a new upper, the government does not regular uppers, only lowers.

edwillia

uber n00b
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
If you buy a full lower in the USA (not an 80% lower) the FORM 4473 you fill out registers the lower to you at the Federal Government level and you must get the lower from a FFL. I realize there are ways around this (you get it at a gun show until January 1st, your friend turns an 80% lower into a complete lower and hands it to you) but as a general rule most lowers are registered at the federal level. The dealer also keeps a copy for 20 years. With an upper, no paperwork is filled out, its just a piece of metal.

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Commercial Sponsor
Forum Supporter
Okay, I see your context. Most don't use the word "registration" to refer to a 4473. Some governments really do make their people register them.