New to hunting out west

I haven't hunted for 50 years, last time I hunted it was for white-tail with a bow in Wisconsin. However, not that I am out of the gun/hunting unfriendly California where I lived for almost 40 years, I would like to take it up again. As is obvious, I have a few years on me, so I don't really think it would be a good idea for me to do any hunting that requires me to climb mountains or drag a full sized elk half a mile to my vehicle (or worse, drag 4 quarters of an elk to my vehicle). Does anyone have any suggestions on what to hunt, where to hunt and so forth. I have AR 15, AR 10 in 6.5 creedmore Tika T3X TAC 1 in 6.5 creedmoor , a .308 and a 300 blackout. I go to the range fairly regularly, but have not shot past 200 yards recently. Any tips, suggestions, even training would be useful at this point. I plan to keep it reasonably nearby, say within a days drive.

jfrey123

I aim to misbehave...
Staff member
Forum Supporter
You might want to start with a NDOW map and a little bit of outdoors exploring. Go find terrain you are comfortable navigating with your preferred method of outdoor travel and then check to see what game is available there.

All the big game tags are done by lottery with points accumulating each for unsuccessful draw. There is a fair amount of small game you could get into along with some unregulated species, just depends on what you’re after.

I’m only on my second year hunting, so I’m not an expert by any means. I leave tonight for my antelope spike hunt tonight outside the Austin/Eureka area. I think they’re mostly up north from you. Someone more versed with the Vegas area should chime in to point you in the right direction.

Fogie

Swimming Pool Monkey
Forum Supporter
In my experience, antelope are the least physical big-game animals to hunt.
Anything in your arsenal will excel except the AR15, which would do the job marginally.
Just noticed 300 Blackout on your list..No, you have much better.

Last edited:

Fogie

Swimming Pool Monkey
Forum Supporter
You might want to start with a NDOW map and a little bit of outdoors exploring. Go find terrain you are comfortable navigating with your preferred method of outdoor travel and then check to see what game is available there.

All the big game tags are done by lottery with points accumulating each for unsuccessful draw. There is a fair amount of small game you could get into along with some unregulated species, just depends on what you’re after.

I’m only on my second year hunting, so I’m not an expert by any means. I leave tonight for my antelope spike hunt tonight outside the Austin/Eureka area. I think they’re mostly up north from you. Someone more versed with the Vegas area should chime in to point you in the right direction.
"Antelope spike?" Do you mean spike elk?

LASCHRIS

In my experience, antelope are the least physical big-game animals to hunt.
Anything in your arsenal will excel except the AR15, which would do the job marginally.
Just noticed 300 Blackout on your list..No, you have much better.
.223/5.56 are legal for antelope in Nevada. It's all about shot placement. Good luck hunting.

pick_six

Adjusting to the west!
Forum Supporter
Welcome.

Like you I am an old flat land, farm land, swamp Hunter, so new to this west coast stuff too.

Drawn for a muley tag this year. Going slow on the hills, to find a good pace. I figure if I get one, ill break it down and pack it out.

Ill let you know in about 4 weeks how well my plan goes. Scouting last weekend and this. Hike some, glass some, find deer. I've seen them in the area I am headed, close enough to hit the does with a bat.

That was on a strip of private land, which had a strip of water. Where the trail went through.

Fogie

Swimming Pool Monkey
Forum Supporter
.223/5.56 are legal for antelope in Nevada. It's all about shot placement. Good luck hunting.
Most .223/5.56 is not legal for big game in NV...And it's not all about shot placement. It's about sufficient energy at range.
.223 has killed a lot of deer, I am proof of that, but the new regulation prohibits most .223/5.56.

Last edited:
I just mentioned what rifles I had. AR 15 would be my choice if someone told me that my first hunts should be for coyote or something like that. I would probably choose the 6.5 creedmoor or .308 for antelope or mule deer. Does anyone see a problem with that.

Fogie

Swimming Pool Monkey
Forum Supporter
Figure what you would like to hunt and when it's time to apply for tags, feel free to ask for info on the different areas.

LASCHRIS

Most .223/5.56 is not legal for big game in NV...And it's not all about shot placement. It's about sufficient energy at range.
.223 has killed a lot of deer, I am proof of that, but the new regulation prohibits most .223/5.56.
http://www.eregulations.com/nevada/hunting/weapons-regulations/

http://www.ndow.org/uploadedFiles/n...-142-Hunting-big-game-mammal-with-firearm.pdf

Myself, a .243 100g softpoint, or any .308 will work good. I read somewhere the trick with antelope meat is to field dress, skin, and cool ASAP. I understand it is very good to eat if processed, and prepared properly. I gave up hunting years ago for personal reasons.

What ever you use, remember to play it safe.

Fogie

Swimming Pool Monkey
Forum Supporter
http://www.eregulations.com/nevada/hunting/weapons-regulations/

http://www.ndow.org/uploadedFiles/n...-142-Hunting-big-game-mammal-with-firearm.pdf

Myself, a .243 100g softpoint, or any .308 will work good. I read somewhere the trick with antelope meat is to field dress, skin, and cool ASAP. I understand it is very good to eat if processed, and prepared properly. I gave up hunting years ago for personal reasons.

What ever you use, remember to play it safe.

Antelope is the best!
From field to freezer in minutes, is how we do it. You'll hear a lot of downtalk regarding antelope, gamey and stinky.
No doubt has to do with the time of year taken and like you said, not cooled off quickly.
There are some factory loads that meet the energy requirement regarding .223. Winchester makes a good one with a stoutly constructed bullet that has done really well, if not as flat shooting as my old 55gr handloads.

jfrey123

I aim to misbehave...
Staff member
Forum Supporter
Regs say anything larger than .22 caliber. .223 is larger than .22. I agree it probably shouldn’t be a large game caliber but seemed to be the weapon of choice in my units this weekend. I was rocking 150gr 30-06 expecting to need sufficient energy at 500 yards out of my shot.

Fogie

Swimming Pool Monkey
Forum Supporter
Regs say anything larger than .22 caliber. .223 is larger than .22. I agree it probably shouldn’t be a large game caliber but seemed to be the weapon of choice in my units this weekend. I was rocking 150gr 30-06 expecting to need sufficient energy at 500 yards out of my shot.
The new reg specifies that 1000 foot pounds of energy at 100 yards are required. Many .223 Rem rounds don't qualify.
So...How was your hunt?!?

jfrey123

I aim to misbehave...
Staff member
Forum Supporter
I wiffed it bad. I think too late into the season, lot of hunters were saying they couldn’t find any herds. Saw tons across the road out of my area chilling on the alfalfa pivots but they weren’t interesting in coming over to let me shoot them.

I had one chance. Spotted a herd .81 miles off a road. Geared up and headed out on foot, thought I could use a small hill to conceal my approach and get a shot from the top. But when I actually got to the top of the hill, distance was too great. I should have waited, let them calm down, but I was too eager and I pushed and they bolted. Searched that valley for hours after and couldn’t get back onto them.

So my first stalk ever was a miss. I feel like I learned a lot though, and next time I’ll be better equipped. Hopefully more knowledgeable too.

Fogie

Swimming Pool Monkey
Forum Supporter
With antelope, it's a big advantage to get out on the opener. Once they realize the rifle season is on, they get skittish.
The girls are usually more sketchy than the bucks, also.

jfrey123

I aim to misbehave...
Staff member
Forum Supporter
That was exactly my experience lol. Area was over 4 hours from my house and ends 9/20. Won’t be trying again until next draw.

Fogie

Swimming Pool Monkey
Forum Supporter
Where is chapter and verse for 1000 fp @100 yards in the regs?
NRS 503.150 (b)

https://www.leg.state.nv.us/NRS/NRS-503.html#NRS503Sec150

It was very disappointing when they passed it..I have a ton of handloads that don't do it.
They spelled it out unequivocally in the 2017 Big Game Hunting Guide. It isn't in the 2018 same.
If you can find where they reversed the reg, that would be awesome...Maybe when they established the prohibition of 50 BMG and such? I can't find any revision regarding the requirement.

Last edited: