New pistol for wife

oly29

uber Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
So since this thing in Northern Nevada my wife is now thinking she wants more training and possibly a new gun. She has an SR22 Ruger but I think she needs something a little bigger. Was thinking about a revolver in 22 Mag or 9MM. She has trouble pulling the slide back on the SR22 so that is why I was thinking of a revolver.
I will take her out to hold the revolvers so she can get an idea on how it will feel. Most of the smaller revolvers come with some type of rubber grip which would be easier to hold. If not they could be replaced with a Hogue grip. Any suggestions or comments?

Revolvers felt recoil much more severe than a semi auto.
have her try to pull slide with unloaded gun and no mag till she is comfortable.
a well placed 22 works as well or better than a higher caliber that doesn't find the target:)
SR22 nice gun---get a few mags..
remember tight grip to cycle the round:)-*

LASCHRIS

CCW or not? If not, Ruger's sp makes a great 38, and older S&W. you could put hornady pink 90gs in for house, find some wadcutters for practice. You may want the action worked over by a pistol smith. Ruger makes a small 22mag revolver, but remember the 22mag is loud, and spits fire. Self defense loads are now being made in that You can also find revolvers in 9mm. I think someone makes a cylinder milled out so moon clips are not necessary.

jfrey123

I aim to misbehave...
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
I’m always curious about women who can’t pull a slide, as to whether they can accurately handle the pull of a DA revolver’s trigger. Check out the Walther P-series for some of the easiest slides I can think of.

SL Dangerous

Zombies aren't real
Forum Supporter
The S&W Shield EZ in 380 is stupid easy to manipulate and about the size of the 9mm Shield. I've never shot one but did take a look at one with a former lady friend.

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Commercial Sponsor
Forum Supporter
Meanwhile, have her start carrying/using that SR22. There's nothing wrong with it (except my personal beef with Ruger for where they put the safety).

She will probably feel a lot better and be a lot more likely to have it handy and use it because it's already HER gun and she's familiar with it.

A .22 will win 99% of defensive gun usage, even if shots are fired.

It's the people without guns that are guaranteed to lose.

Kinoons

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Just to throw it out there, but I’m sure you make sure she’s using a good push/pull mechanics to rack the slide. Lots of people try to slingshot a slide and for some that isn’t the best way to do so.

The slide on the FN fiveseven isn’t hard to rack. Pretty light recoil when shooting as well. I haven’t handled the keltec PMR30 but that should be similar.

The S&W Shield EZ in 380 is stupid easy to manipulate and about the size of the 9mm Shield. I've never shot one but did take a look at one with a former lady friend.
Yes, had a thread here on this very same thing. My wife tried the S&W EZ MP 380 Shield and that was the easiest of all to rack. 8 rounds is better than 6 ! She really liked it, and when we returned to Sportsman's wherehouse, they were out of stock. Ordered one from them online for $369 and it will be arriving for pick up next week @ S/W with free shipping. Carson City has a lower sales tax than Reno. FMJ has a higher penetration rate with this caliber, especially through thick winter clothing.

jmano

uber Member
Yes, had a thread here on this very same thing. My wife tried the S&W EZ MP 380 Shield and that was the easiest of all to rack. 8 rounds is better than 6 ! She really liked it, and when we returned to Sportsman's wherehouse, they were out of stock. Ordered one from them online for $369 and it will be arriving for pick up next week @ S/W with free shipping. Carson City has a lower sales tax than Reno. FMJ has a higher penetration rate with this caliber, especially through thick winter clothing.
I would definitely use the Lehigh Xtreme Defense for any .380, it is by far the best defensive ammo.

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Commercial Sponsor
Forum Supporter
The problem with the boutique .380 defensive loads is that the cost discourages most carriers from shooting enough of them to guarantee reliability, and the little .380 guns need the most testing.

While I've no problem using FMJ defensively in a .380, I've also never had a failure in MY Springfield Armory 911 with Corbon Pow-R-Ball, which they have on the shelf at Wild West Guns. Last year it was on sale during SHOT.

jfrey123

I aim to misbehave...
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
BuffaloBore makes some legit .380 defense rounds too at a super affordable price, if we’re adsing defense ammo recommendations.

GunButler

uber n00b
Commercial Sponsor
.... Was thinking about a revolver in 22 Mag or 9MM. She has trouble pulling the slide back on the SR22 so that is why I was thinking of a revolver.
In this "revolver" setting, Things get a little funky. While the .22 mag will have more managable recoil, they usualy come with a heavier trigger pull. The .22's need a harder strike than center fire, I get customers that want me to lighten the trigger pull on .22 revolvers, and I am limited. If she can take the recoil, I would go for a .38 or 9mm

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagon Collector
While I carry revolvers lots, and consider myself pretty proficient with them, I don't think its really the right option for most people, especially people who are not likely to put in any serious time training with them.

J Frames and similar sized revolvers, even in .38, are not exactly fun to shoot for most people. I dont find them too be too uncomfortable, but they certainly are not enjoyable. Couple that with nearly nonexistant sights, increased felt recoil, heavy/stiff/long DA pull, limited capacity, and difficulty of reloads (again unless you train a lot), they really aren't an ideal situation.

Just have her work on proper technique as mentioned above, with the push/pull rather than just pulling it back, and become more proficient with a semi. Also, unless shes going to be concealing it, I'd look at a mid-full sized semi, none of this compact nonsense that again is increased felt recoil, shorter and smaller sights normally, etc.

As others have mentioned, if 9mm is too big or too much, there are lots of solid little .380's and even some larger .380's. I had a Sig P238 and it was downright pleasant to shoot even for being so small. PPK/s is always a good option too, something with a little weight and heft to it, and enough space to grab ahold of. I abhor the micro .380's, damn hard to shoot and downright uncomfortable.

Just my 2 cents.

On a side note, I put a ton of guns, revolvers included, infront of my wife who definitely is petite and not particularly strong, and she ended up choosing a friggin 5" M&P9 2.0 with a thumb safety (she specifically wanted the safety). Not at all what I would have expected! She likes it and constantly remarks "this thing is so easy to shoot its like cheating!" That being said, she doesnt carry it, its more of a house gun.

the only 22wmr handgun that i rely on is a single action revolver, ruger single six 6-shot or heritage roughrider 9-shot. neither is suitable for ccw but for static protection of home or camp they are simple and reliable. longer barrel is better. i’ve tried and moved on a ruger lcr 22wmr, perhaps the lcr-x version is better, but i like the single six and roughrider too much to try one. reloads of course are slow and untactical. the 22lr cylinder of either makes practice fun, soft, easy and cheap.

So since this thing in Northern Nevada my wife is now thinking she wants more training and possibly a new gun. She has an SR22 Ruger but I think she needs something a little bigger. Was thinking about a revolver in 22 Mag or 9MM. She has trouble pulling the slide back on the SR22 so that is why I was thinking of a revolver.
I will take her out to hold the revolvers so she can get an idea on how it will feel. Most of the smaller revolvers come with some type of rubber grip which would be easier to hold. If not they could be replaced with a Hogue grip. Any suggestions or comments?
Ruger Charger pistol, SUPER easy to pull the slide back, 10" barrel, easy to mount a laser on, and can use Ruger 25 round 10/22 magazines. Extremely reliable, and she won't go deaf shooting it in the house if she has to.