New 10/22 build

I just completed this build and will shoot it for the first time on Thurs. I wanted something that felt like a full size rifle in my hands and assembled this just for fun.

From Brownells, it is their railed receiver, the Ruger bolt assembly, charging handle, and BX trigger. The barrel is from Green Mountain and is 24". The stock is Boyds. The scope is a Vortex 2-7 that I already had laying around. The rings are Warne.

I'm going to get it zeroed in and have 4 types of ammo to see what it likes best.
  • CCI Mini Mag 40 grn
  • CCI Mini Mag 36 grn HP
  • CCI standard velocity 40 grn
  • Winchester 40 grn "red box"
I originally bought an 18" barrel, but it looked too short with this stock. The only hiccup I encountered was that I needed a 1/4" longer than standard take town bolt to attach the reciever to the stock.

Terry

Attachments

What did this build cost you?
The stock was the single biggest expense at $240. I had an extra long length of pull plus the adjustable cheeckrest raise the price quite a bit. The receiver ended up being $100 after paying sales tax and transfer fee. Without the scope, it is right at $600.

CaptKurt

Those who dare, win!
Forum Supporter
I am thinking about building a 10/22.

You think its better to start with a complete rifle and use the parts for a new build, or build from individual parts?

I am thinking about building a 10/22.

You think its better to start with a complete rifle and use the parts for a new build, or build from individual parts?
There are a ton of models out there by Ruger. If one matches what you want out of your rifle, then buy it. It will be much cheaper than building yourself.

Personally, I enjoy researching and finding the perfect parts and putting them all together. It will be more expensive, but there will be no other like it.

The 10/22 is stupid simple. Basically two screws hold the barrel to the receiver. One screw holds the stock to the receiver. Of course, you can really get into the weeds by fine tuning the action or trigger.

I went shooting today in this dreary weather. The rifle performed flawless. I tried the four ammo types. The CCI Mini Mags and Winchester Super X were not good at all for holding a group. The CCI Standard Velocity was much better. I'm sure that SV being subsonic has something to do with it. With subsonic ammo and a 24" barrel, it is SO quiet.

The pic is a 10 round group at 50 yards with the SV ammo. I shot it pretty quick and I could not feel my fingers.

Attachments

I went shooting today in this dreary weather. The rifle performed flawless. I tried the four ammo types. The CCI Mini Mags and Winchester Super X were not good at all for holding a group. The CCI Standard Velocity was much better. I'm sure that SV being subsonic has something to do with it. With subsonic ammo and a 24" barrel, it is SO quiet.

The pic is a 10 round group at 50 yards with the SV ammo. I shot it pretty quick and I could not feel my fingers.
This is what I call GUN CONTROL.