My Walther P-22 broke!

After about 2k rounds through my P-22, the last inch of the upper broke off. I called Walther and e-mailed them this picture while we were on the phone. He was very nice and said " oh no, that's not supposed to happen!" He told me to send it to them along with a check for $12.00 for shipping and he would send me a new one. I sent it the next day and about 2 weeks later I got a new upper.
Sweet! Great customer service from Walther.

Attachments

Gullwing

1911 pistolsmith
Staff member
Oh no that shouldn't happen, sent it to us with money...
Might have just forgot about the check if it were me. Oh oops my bad...

JR3

living in Henderson NV
Putting 12 bucks into a 12 year old gun is no big deal for me.
Luckily you were able to get a factory replacement for free and just pay shipping.

Sig no longer imports the Mosquito from GSG and has no replacement slides.
They also only warranty for the original owner, 1 year, and to have it fixed I would've been charged full parts and labor.

ATI/GSG is now marketing the Mosquito as the Firefly but don't warranty Sig products nor did they have any replacement slides available.

I was able to find a new Firefly slide on my own, Ebay.
Was it cost effective..??..NO, but I wanted to keep my original skeeter.

Luckily you were able to get a factory replacement for free and just pay shipping.

Sig no longer imports the Mosquito from GSG and has no replacement slides.
They also only warranty for the original owner, 1 year, and to have it fixed I would've been charged full parts and labor.

ATI/GSG is now marketing the Mosquito as the Firefly but don't warranty Sig products nor did they have any replacement slides available.

I was able to find a new Firefly slide on my own, Ebay.
Was it cost effective..??..NO, but I wanted to keep my original skeeter.
I hear ya. I guess it comes down to how much you want to put into it to keep it shooting. I've got a couple of broken rimfires that are safe queens and am still deciding if it's cost effective to fix them.:2guns:

NYECOGunsmith

Obsessed Member
Staff member
I hear ya. I guess it comes down to how much you want to put into it to keep it shooting. I've got a couple of broken rimfires that are safe queens and am still deciding if it's cost effective to fix them.:2guns:
What's wrong with them? Many rimfire problems are easily and cheaply rectified.

What's wrong with them? Many rimfire problems are easily and cheaply rectified.
Hi Steve thanks for asking.
The Remington Nylon has a plunger(?) that goes in the butt to hold the ammo in. It is supposed to lock in place when you turn it to the right, but it doesn't, and the bullets fall out of the bottom.

The Phoenix Arms' magazine won't stay in and keeps falling out.

Thanks again for asking.

NYECOGunsmith

Obsessed Member
Staff member
The Nylon 66 problem is easily fixed also.

Most likely the inner magazine tube has had the ears on the butt end of it bent or broken off.

If you can take a picture of the outside end of the inner mag tube (the one with the black plastic thumb knob on the end, long brass tube with a spring in the center and a plunger tip at the other end) and of the hole in the stock it goes into, I can tell you for certain which of two problems you have and how to fix it.

As for the phoenix arms, the most likely culprit is the magazine, and number two would be the magazine catch.

Send pictures of the magazine, both sides, and if you can, a picture of the inside of the mag well , and I can probably tell you how to fix that one as well.

Most likely the inner magazine tube has had the ears on the butt end of it bent or broken off.

If you can take a picture of the outside end of the inner mag tube (the one with the black plastic thumb knob on the end, long brass tube with a spring in the center and a plunger tip at the other end) and of the hole in the stock it goes into, I can tell you for certain which of two problems you have and how to fix it.

As for the phoenix arms, the most likely culprit is the magazine, and number two would be the magazine catch.

Send pictures of the magazine, both sides, and if you can, a picture of the inside of the mag well , and I can probably tell you how to fix that one as well.
Thanks a lot Steve I'll work on the pictures tonight. Thanks again!

When I push in on the orange tip plunger, it's met with very little resistance. The spring inside feels mushy. I didn't mention in my previous post that when I hold the mag tube in (so it doesn't fall out while I shoot) it jams quite a bit.
The mag on the Phoenix Arms just won't click when I insert it and sticks out of the bottom about a quarter of an inch.

I don't know if it helps but the Nylon is about 50 years old and was a hand me down. I don't think any work was ever done on it.

I hope the pictures help.

Thanks.

Attachments

NYECOGunsmith

Obsessed Member
Staff member
OK, for the Nylon 66, the pins look worn down, and even if they are perfect, having a weak or busted magazine spring will cause it to misfeed and it will cause the magazine to not stay in place.

It has to have the rearward pressure of a good magazine spring to hold the pins in the L shaped slots in the outer magazine tube.
Also, if the follower is bad, it will cause these issues too.

All these parts are available from Numrich Arms, and easily replaced.
You can find them all on this page.
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/remington/rifles-rem/nylon-66?page=2

On to the Phoenix Arms.........Are you sure you have the right magazine for it?
It should go all the way in, EVEN if it doesn't lock into place. If it stops a 1/4" from going home, then either it is the wrong magazine, or the top feed lips are damaged and hanging up on the inside of the frame mag well some where.

There is a slight possibility that the magazine latch is damaged.

Magazines, and the latch are also available from Numrich Arms, at this page
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/phoenix-arms/hp22?page=2

None of the parts for the Nylon 66 or the Phoenix are terribly expensive, and you can replace all of them yourself easily. Give it a try, get those fine .22's out of the safe and back into the light!

OK, for the Nylon 66, the pins look worn down, and even if they are perfect, having a weak or busted magazine spring will cause it to misfeed and it will cause the magazine to not stay in place.

It has to have the rearward pressure of a good magazine spring to hold the pins in the L shaped slots in the outer magazine tube.
Also, if the follower is bad, it will cause these issues too.

All these parts are available from Numrich Arms, and easily replaced.
You can find them all on this page.
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/remington/rifles-rem/nylon-66?page=2

On to the Phoenix Arms.........Are you sure you have the right magazine for it?
It should go all the way in, EVEN if it doesn't lock into place. If it stops a 1/4" from going home, then either it is the wrong magazine, or the top feed lips are damaged and hanging up on the inside of the frame mag well some where.

There is a slight possibility that the magazine latch is damaged.

Magazines, and the latch are also available from Numrich Arms, at this page
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/phoenix-arms/hp22?page=2

None of the parts for the Nylon 66 or the Phoenix are terribly expensive, and you can replace all of them yourself easily. Give it a try, get those fine .22's out of the safe and back into the light!
First of all, I want to say thank you for your time and effort in addressing the issues with my rimfires. You didn't have to do that and I really appreciate it.

I went to Numrich Arms and am going to order the entire magazine tube. Very reasonable prices and I think that after 50 years the Nylon 66 is due for a new one. When working properly, it's one of my favorite rimfire rifles.

On the Phoenix arms, it's the original magazine and I should have been more specific. It goes all the way in and tries to lock in place but won't. Then it slowly slides out to where it's sticking out about 1/4". I'm also going to order another magazine for that. Member JR3 also gave me a couple of good links for the Phoenix Arms. It's a heavy little gun but accurate as all get out. I liked carrying it with hollow points and in a pocket holster. Probably the best $100 .22 pistol I've owned.

Thanks again for your advice Steve. There's a lot of knowledgeable people and great info on these forums and I should have joined years ago.

NYECOGunsmith

Obsessed Member
Staff member
If the magazine used to work properly, and now doesn't, and you see no signs of damage to the magazine,especially in the area of the latch notch, then the latch itself is probably the culprit.

Glad to be of service, good luck with the repairs.

JohnnyK

"My name is NOT Johnny!"
Forum Supporter
Hi Steve thanks for asking.
The Remington Nylon has a plunger(?) that goes in the butt to hold the ammo in. It is supposed to lock in place when you turn it to the right, but it doesn't, and the bullets fall out of the bottom.

The Phoenix Arms' magazine won't stay in and keeps falling out.

Thanks again for asking.
I can help you with the Phoenix Arms... Easy to repair, and the company stocks all of the parts, they are cheap, and their shipping is reasonable and fast. They are in Ontario, Cali.