My friend had his house robbed and guns stolen last night

DonTom

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Dogs bark and make noise. Most thieves try and avoid this.
Most, yes. But . . .

I guess you didn't watch the Mastermind series (all true stories) where the burglar would mainly only rip-off mansions that had an alarm and a dog or two on duty.

He figured if they didn't have at least that much, there wouldn't be much in the house worth stealing. And he never harmed the dog, just knew how to quickly train them. And even did it when the owners were home (but they had no clue while it was happening).

The guy finally got caught after many years when he had already stole millions, but he became addicted to his crimes and couldn't stop and then finally got busted.

-Don- SSF, CA

2GoneDE

Zookeeper
Forum Supporter
I'd be willing to bet a "professional" thief reads these post...even responds, or maybe posting pics of guns with stolen parts. Firearms, jewelry, and cash are the main targets for most thieves; and although there might be forums to talk about your cash, nobody I know frequents them.

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Commercial Sponsor
Forum Supporter
I have heard of cases where the first thing the scumbag does is to shoot the dog.

I have also heard of cases where the scumbag feeds the dog, pets it a few times and then goes in with the dog's "permission".

Often, IMO, some people rely too much on dogs.
More cops shoot dogs than thieves, if that helps you put the statistics in the proper perspective.

But, yes, dogs are a layer, not the security system.

STV_Keith

Obsessed Member
Having a nice picture of the bad guys, suitable for framing is nice I guess.
Glen, not sure you get on any social media, but camera video/footage makes the rounds and more times than not, when I see video posted, I later hear about an arrest. If they are going to get my stuff, at the VERY LEAST, I want them caught and prosecuted. That nice picture may very well make that happen.

numba1stunna

Live.Laugh.Love.<3
Sorry to hear about your friends house.

If the bad guys want something, they'll get it as mentioned.

I feel dogs are a great first line of deterrence. No one is persuading them by slipping them food as they stay by my side, or training them after they've gotten in. When we're asleep, any bump in the night the dogs will let you know while going full retard.

Also not sure if Henderson PD is on top of ****, or just stupid robbers doing multiple houses.

http://www.fox5vegas.com/story/31382294/3-men-accused-of-burglarizing-henderson-homes

Glen, not sure you get on any social media, but camera video/footage makes the rounds and more times than not, when I see video posted, I later hear about an arrest. If they are going to get my stuff, at the VERY LEAST, I want them caught and prosecuted. That nice picture may very well make that happen.

NevadaShooters, opencarry.org and having coffee at the Market in downtown Blue Diamond is the existent of my social media.
Sorry to say the bad guys won't be caught because I've seen them on any Facebook, Twetter.

I never said, alarms with photo quality video are bad or unnecessary, but your first line of defense should be securing your property against entry ie. keeping the bad guys from getting in and getting your stuff. Period.
I even have an alarm.
But, how many times has this been said about Metro?
'When seconds count, the police are minutes away' Same can be said for any alarm company response time or even you at work watching your house being broken into and ransacked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMIYVDuyX1Q
The 2nd commercial spot of this Broadview Security Video really made me aware of how fast a front door being kicked in happens (85% of all break ins happen through the front door) if the guy had a knife or gun the lady would be dead.
Do you really think an alarm would stop him, and I'm guessing the Alarm Company does not call you before the running away attacker hits the end of you sidewalk.

This is the hard part, really being honest with yourself.
If you have just watched the video, you have just seen how fast this happens. You may have as much as 3 secs. could be less to respond. In less that 5 seconds on a run that guy could have been up those stairs and in a bedroom. Which is more frightening the fact that he has just burst through your bedroom door or your kids bedroom? This is why your first efforts should be is to KEEP THEM OUT, then worry about alarms.
Example:
You are sitting in your living room having a beer and watching tv, even if you carry around the house. (I won't mention anyone being home alone not armed or the logistics of big house family room versus smaller house with the TV in the living room where the front door is).
Question is, just how fast are you going to react and react accurately?

Nothing will be 100% secure.

I stand by Layers of security. Level one is Guard Gated then Gate Guarded. Cul de sac versus through street. Thorny plants around windows. Locked side Gates (left unlocked for the pool guy or exterminator and anyone else who sees them at your house). Steel mesh solar screens on accessible windows (very expensive) Steel Security Screen door. (Added bonus if you get a light color screen you can see out but they can't see you.) Alarms and Video. Don't advertise, by putting the empty box from that new 65" TV you just bought, out with the trash. Hardest one of all, knowing your neighbors.