My friend had his house robbed and guns stolen last night

turborich

Obsessed Member
Far North West (95 and Sky Canyon area) March,2nd 2016 sometime during the day. Metro refused to take fingerprints, etc.

His front door was kicked in and guns were stolen along with other items.

1. Kahr MK9 9mm stainless with black grips, serial# GC4863

2. Ruger LCP .380 all black, serial# 378-14970

STV_Keith

Obsessed Member
That sucks. For $200, everyone should have at least a Nest type camera that streams HD video to the internet. I have one and get notified on my phone anytime it sees motion in the zone I have selected. It uploads the video through a wireless router to the Nest site, which I can monitor from anywhere. $10/mo gets me 10 days worth of storage and I can create clips from the video and save forever.

Definitely worth it if you don't have a full-on HD surveillance system.

DonTom

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
That sucks. For $200, everyone should have at least a Nest type camera that streams HD video to the internet. I have one and get notified on my phone anytime it sees motion in the zone I have selected. It uploads the video through a wireless router to the Nest site, which I can monitor from anywhere. $10/mo gets me 10 days worth of storage and I can create clips from the video and save forever.

Definitely worth it if you don't have a full-on HD surveillance system.
I was just going to say the same. The prices have gone way down on this stuff as the quality of the cameras and such improved.

I have cameras inside and out at all three of my homes, recorded via wireless with the DVM well hidden (cannot follow cables to find). I can view these cameras from anywhere in the world where I can get an internet connection. Besides having all six gun safes bolted down and with house alarms in case I am not watching at the time. I am now watching my other two homes in the Reno area I am typing this from South San Francisco.

It's also handy for other stuff, such as to see if I have packages delivered and such. My AR57 upper was delivered to my Reno home while I was here in SSF a couple of months ago. I had a Reno neighbor pick it up ASAP right after I saw it delivered from here.

IMO, it's important for all of us to do all we can do to keep our guns out of the hands of the scumbags.

-Don- SSF, CA

That sucks, Thing is kicking in the front door is so easy. I have a Steel Security Screen door with double keyed Schlage dead bolts, professionally installed. Mine pictured $500 total.
That way even if they break the side windows next to the door and get the door open, they can not open the steel screen door. And for those who say 'With the right power tools...' I say BullSh** unless your house is being targeted, tweakers and punks are not using power tools, most often they kick doors in.
Breaking and entering through Window is a pain in the arise, you can get cut up and breaking the window along with clearing the glass makes a lot of noise.
I would rather keep them out with LAYERS of visible security and have them move on to a softer target.
Having a nice picture of the bad guys, suitable for framing is nice I guess.

ZilWin

Obsessed Member
I have a Steel Security Screen door with double keyed Schlage dead bolts, professionally installed. Mine pictured $500 total.
That way even if they break the side windows next to the door and get the door open, they can not open the steel screen door.

Double keyed deadbolts make it extremely risky in the event of a fire in the house that you have to evacuate. I understand the increased security from unauthorized entry, but at what cost to your personal safety if you need to get out quickly?

Double keyed deadbolts make it extremely risky in the event of a fire in the house that you have to evacuate. I understand the increased security from unauthorized entry, but at what cost to your personal safety if you need to get out quickly?
The key is on the backside of the banister, across the foyer 12' feet from the door, but handy when coming down stairs. The fact that it has been there for 15 years and in my over 60 years I have never personally known any homeowner having a house fire. If the fire starts downstairs and it is perfectly placed at the stairs then we are going to have to jump from the windows.
You can throw out if's all day long. So far so good, life is odds, die in a auto accident or burning alive in a house fire....hmmmm. I think I keep the double keyed lock and key right where it is.

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Commercial Sponsor
Forum Supporter
My door is locked with double-cylinder deadbolts, too. That's where I leave my keys at night, in the lock.

DonTom

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
Having a nice picture of the bad guys, suitable for framing is nice I guess.
And watching it happen, with alarms from the movements activated, makes it good for a 9-1-1 call. Many have watched their houses ripped off even from where they work. A 9-1-1 call and with some luck, you can watch the scumbags get arrested from many miles away.

At one of my Reno homes, a house was ripped-off. A neighbor saw the car leave the house they ripped-off. Gave me the time and I got it on a camera (I have some cameras facing the road). That was turned over to the cops. However, I never did find out if the scumbags were caught.

-Don- SSF, CA

ColtBill45

Hydrostatic shock creator
While you can make your front door look like the entrance to a prison and secure your back door as much as possible, a good chunk of burglars are actually accessing houses in record time by entering through the main garage door. Just about every home built post 90's has those small little glass pane windows which thieves are spraying with Plastidip and busting out in a very quiet fashion to gain access to your emergency pull handle with a wire coat hanger.

As for security cameras, they were never made to stop thieves. They were invented to help catch and prosecute them. They do serve a purpose and have saved my home in the past with the instant alerts.

:cool:

DonTom

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
As for security cameras, they were never made to stop thieves.
But they will stop some. Some of my cameras are very noticeable to make the scumbag/s think twice. Others are well hidden.

BTW, you can say the same for house alarms and many other types of security. No security system is perfect. Not even in a high-security prison.

In fact, nothing in life is perfect. Perfection doesn't exist anywhere.

"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

-Vince Lombardi

-Don- SSF, CA

Far North West (95 and Sky Canyon area) March,2nd 2016 sometime during the day. Metro refused to take fingerprints, etc.

His front door was kicked in and guns were stolen along with other items.

1. Kahr MK9 9mm stainless with black grips, serial# GC4863

2. Ruger LCP .380 all black, serial# 378-14970

I don't think Metro would take any interest in surveillance video.

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Commercial Sponsor
Forum Supporter
Everything we do is to discourage our location from random thieves, to make our places more difficult than a neighbor.

If someone KNOWS that they want what you have, and are determined to get it, you're pretty much screwed no matter what you do.

DonTom

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
If someone KNOWS that they want what you have, and are determined to get it, you're pretty much screwed no matter what you do.
Sure, but let's do all we can reasonably do to help the scumbag get screwed even more than us.

-Don- SSF, CA

turborich

Obsessed Member
I agree with you guys, I have cameras, security doors, safes with extra locks, 3 inch screws in all of the door strike plates, etc. My buddy lived in a condo and the stock little 3/4 inch screws that are used on the striker plate just failed without much effort it seems. A couple of thugs had been seen walking around his condos according to the neighbors. They took his brand new TV that was still in the box, the 2 firearms and caused a lot of damage inside. This happened yesterday and he is already moved out today. It's happened to various units over the 4 years that he's lived there. His guns were in a safe, but just a rinky dink one that wasn't bolted down. At least he's okay, it could have been worse.

As for Metro, they SUCK!!! He called 911 and told the call taker that his door had been broken into, there are firearms in the home and he wasn't sure if the criminals were still inside or not. It took 2.5 hours for metro to show up! The officers refused to take a report at the scene. They claimed that they are short staffed so an officer would call and take the report over the phone. I'm no cop hater, but come on! I was there when metro arrived and witnessed this for myself.

You are pretty much on your own unless a dead body is laying on the floor.

DonTom

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
Yes, great for a home owner, but not so much when you're renting as he was. I still think that dogs are the number one deterrent.
I have heard of cases where the first thing the scumbag does is to shoot the dog.

I have also heard of cases where the scumbag feeds the dog, pets it a few times and then goes in with the dog's "permission".

Often, IMO, some people rely too much on dogs.

-Don- SSF, CA

turborich

Obsessed Member
I have heard of cases where the first thing the scumbag does is to shoot the dog.

I have also heard of cases where the scumbag feeds the dog, pets it a few times and then goes in with the dog's "permission".

Often, IMO, some people rely too much on dogs.

-Don- SSF, CA
Dogs bark and make noise. Most thieves try and avoid this.