Las Vegas Landscaper Recommendations? for converting to Xeriscape

With the rebate for converting grass to xeriscape, looking to convert my rear lawn. Put grass in for the kids years ago, they are teens now and tired of the mowing and weed pulling.

About 1600 square feet of grass, had the water dept folks come and measure. @$3 a sq ft to remove the grass, that gives us just under $5k to get the work done.

Not looking for anything fancy, just want the grass and irrigation for it removed, a weed barrier and gravel put down, need to plant a handful of plants for the program, but nothing big, prob just a half dozen 5 gallon bucket plants. Wanted a few things done in my front yard also while have a landscaper, including trimming a couple of trees, planting one 24" box tree, and general spring cleanup.

Not even a full days work for a landscaper with a few workers, so one would think no problems finding a landscaper to do the work, esp with a $5k budget, right?

Well......

My wife called several places that had OK reviews, 2 guys came last week and seemed nice enough, they were supposed to get back to us with estimates Friday, or Monday at the latest. Still no estimates, and we even called and left a message yesterday.....

2 more guys that were supposed to come over for estimates totally flaked and no-showed.

2 more guys came today, one gave a quick $5k estimate, but my wife said he didn't seem too sharp/ professional, and didn't inspire confidence. The other guy seemed like he knew what he was doing, but feel like he highballed us at $7500. (again, we are talking maybe $300 in plants, a few tons of gravel, and a full days labor for a small crew - and NO "landscape design" services.)

Anybody else have this done to their yards?

Would appreciate any referrals or leads to a trustworthy landscaper - thanks!

I'm in Summerlin if it matters (one place my wife called did NOT do work in Summerlin)

Last edited:

Tophog

Biker Trailer Trash
Staff member
Forum Supporter
Just like a FS ad, location? I know a great one, forum member . . . in Reno!

Gullwing

1911 pistolsmith
Staff member
I haven't dug up grass in a long time and probably would hate every minute of it (ok I know I would) but if you got the plants, rock and such I think I could get it done for 4K and a week or two.

I haven't dug up grass in a long time and probably would hate every minute of it (ok I know I would) but if you got the plants, rock and such I think I could get it done for 4K and a week or two.
This sounds like a future episode of Judge Judy "defendant THOUGHT he could get it done for 4k and a week or two...."

Thanks but I'm looking for someone who does this for a living, and can get it done in a day or 2. Haven't priced out the cost of landscaping gravel/rock, so your estimate may even be more than the one guy that did give us a $5k estimate out the door.

Call Wes at VIP Landscaping. He did my front yard about 10 years ago and my back/side yard the next year. I kept a little grass in the back (side actually), front is all desert landscaping. I can send you before/after pics. Ex-wife was occupying the house and destroyed the yard and killed the lawn before I retook possession, so I only got partial credit on the conversion, since you only get credit for converting a green lawn, not a dead one.

Front and side yard included flagstone paths, back yard included expanding concrete patio with pavers. They did a good job on the pavers.

https://viplandscapingandlawncare.com/