Is this a good deal on primers?

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
๐Ÿ˜€
Gonna load a few up to test, but I imagine they are still good as I believe they were stored correctly.
20190411_131411.jpg

I still have a couple packages of CCI small rifle and pistol magnum primers from the mid 1980s. Price tag is $1.50; I purchased these primers from Jensen's Custom Ammunition in Tucson, AZ (no longer in business). I suspect your primers are from the 1970s based upon price and packaging graphics. Your primers will probably work; I would be very cautious and stay alert for potential squib-like loads due to under-performing primers. You do not want to have a bullet lodged in your barrel and fire another round into a blocked barrel.

If your primers were not subject to moisture / humid conditions; I suspect they will function reliably like when they were manufactured. The condition of the packaging is near flawless (unlike mine shown below); maybe yours have a collectors value? I have never heard of reloading equipment collectors' like you hear about toy collectors'. I think someone who obtains older reloading equipment is likely to want to actually use it, unlike collectors'.

CCI Primers.JPG

Last edited:

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
I think there are only about 2200. These will be the first I go through.

TexasJackKin

Breathng Free, at last
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
I seem to recall, having seating problems back in the โ€˜70s, using CCI primers. Large rifle mostly. Of course in those days I was priming on a RCBS Rock Chucker, which never had the best priming system. Today, Iโ€™m a fan of CCI primers!

oly29

uber Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
My dad was getting them from Gemco up in Northern California (Eureka) but they were small rifle and were red cased. Price might have been 75-78 cents per hundred. Early 70's. We were just starting to get into reloading for a rifle he got me after High School. Pick up a Remington model 788 in 222 from Payless Drugs for $68.00. Still have it today.

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
White Front went out around 1974-5.

I think these are from about '73 or so, from the other items in the estate.

akholic

uber n00b
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
i inherited some of those same primers have not had any problems.large rifle /pistol and small rifle