• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

I hate cars ... I really do

tdyoung58

Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty.
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Like the old saying goes if it's got tires or t*** it's gonna be problems.

Seems the battery cables on my 2004 Dodge Dakota are a 1 year only unobtainium design. I prefer to use correct parts when I can. Can't even source it from the stealership.

This happened to me with a older Dodge Caravan my Ex had, was a end of the year build, with newer year design changes. Back when electrical components went from the nut and bolt fasteners to the plug and play.

Harley

BANNED FOR LIFE+35 Because he dared me to do it!
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
What do they look like? Anything special about them?

JTW_Jr

WheelGunner / Outsider
Forum Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Is the entire cable bad or just the end ?

Dr. Marneaus

Leave me alone.
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Looks to be pretty standard cables
Well that last one isnt the right year. I think it looks more like this?

1617988235927.png

I had a 2004 Dakota. It was an okay truck. that 4.7 blows ass though. Talk about a dog. And the older they get the more the timing chain slacks and the less power you get.

Once I was driving back to reno from Frontsight in a headwind like 3 years ago maybe. I couldnt keep the truck in 5th for more than a minute or two at a time. Drop to 4th, wind it up to about 70mph, shift to 5th, lose speed until I was doing like 60, repeat. I normally averaged about 20mpg in that truck. I got 12mpg between Vegas and Tonopah. Burned a full tank.

DonTom

Well-known member (45 ACP)
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
ICE cars have way too much BS in them, so expect problems.

The answer is BEVs (Battery Only EVs). Very few parts to break. And lithium batts do NOT corrode cables, so they usually last forever.

No oil to check, no oil, gas or air filter, no alternator to fail, no tranny, no clutch, no exhaust system, no spark plugs/ no timing belt / chain etc., etc.

No going to gas stations (most people only charge at home).

With an EV, you will hate cars a lot less.

-Don- Auburn, CA

tdyoung58

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Yeah, it's a 1 year design for 2004. Go figure, guess Dodge used some hybrid 2005 parts in the 2004 model that weren't quite the same as either the 2003 or 2005. Not even available thru the dealer. Figured out a way to make it work. Will probably outlive me.

As for electric cars .... Never gonna get one until every last drop off gasoline, diesel, methanol or any other kind of liquid fuel is gone. Which fortunately I will be long dead before that happens and I'm going to add a clause to my will that I shall be cremated in a gasoline powered oven only.

Gullwing

Former Padawan Apprentice Now Master
Staff member
ICE cars have way too much BS in them, so expect problems.

The answer is BEVs (Battery Only EVs). Very few parts to break. And lithium batts do NOT corrode cables, so they usually last forever.

No oil to check, no oil, gas or air filter, no alternator to fail, no tranny, no clutch, no exhaust system, no spark plugs/ no timing belt / chain etc., etc.

No going to gas stations (most people only charge at home).

With an EV, you will hate cars a lot less.

-Don- Auburn, CA
OP says he hates his car because of an electrical issue so you tell him to get a fully electric vehicle....
In other news OP says he hates liberal politicians so you tell him to move to San Fransisco.
o_O

DonTom

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
OP says he hates his car because of an electrical issue so you tell him to get a fully electric vehicle....
Were you aware lithium batteries cannot corrode battery cables? There's no acid to cause the corrosion. Also, no engine oil to get all over wires & other things and cause problems. Much cleaner. So there can be less electrical problems with an EV than a gas car for several reasons. Also, no alternator to crap out. No gas, oil, or fuel filters. No spark plugs or ignition system to crap out. I could go on all day. Stick with ICE vehicles if you enjoy working on them. But if you hate working on them, go with BEVs (battery only EVs).

-Don- Reno

Last edited:

DonTom

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
In other news OP says he hates liberal politicians so you tell him to move to San Fransisco.
The biggest RWNJ I know lives in SF and refuses to move.

Believe it or not, there are a few RWNJs who live in SF & love it there. They are just greatly outnumbered and don't talk politics with many others.

FWIW, I was born in SF and lived in the area most of my life, yet I never lived in the city itself, just south of it. And I also worked in SF for 40 years.

But I am glad to be out of that area. The traffic is ridiculous and the roads are rarely improved.

-Don- Reno

DonTom

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Roadster
0----60 1.9 250+ mph
I have driven some of the performance Teslas. They are so ridiculous in acceleration it has no real use off a race track.

Even my Tesla is scary fast up a hill. And it's not a performance model. The torque is ridiculous as it is, as this guy says and shows (see the Tesla at the very start):

-Don- Reno

JR3

Active member (5.56mm)
Were you aware lithium batteries cannot corrode battery cables? There's no acid to cause the corrosion. Also, no engine oil to get all over wires & other things and cause problems. Much cleaner. So there can be less electrical problems with an EV than a gas car for several reasons. Also, no alternator to crap out. No gas, oil, or fuel filters. No spark plugs or ignition system to crap out. I could go on all day. Stick with ICE vehicles if you enjoy working on them. But if you hate working on them, go with BEVs (battery only EVs).

-Don- Reno
Let's hear back after your electric car is over 20 years old.

Everything needs maintenance to last.
Batteries pack will end up in landfills.
Lithium-ion batteries inflict environmental damage when mined.
Electricity still comes from mostly fossil fuel power generation plants.

DonTom

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter

Everything needs maintenance to last.
Batteries pack will end up in landfills.
Lithium-ion batteries inflict environmental damage when mined.
Electricity still comes from mostly fossil fuel power generation plants.
See here.

For the battery waste issue:

And even if the power ONLY comes from coal, an EV is three times more efficient than a gas vehicle. But very little comes from coal where EVs are most popular, such as in CA.

The oil companies and EV haters have been great on spreading their BS, but the truth is out there, if you look for it.

-Don- Reno

DonTom

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Range will reduce, but it will still be a lot more range than most people drive per day. Also, charging will be FASTER to full as the KWHs decrease. Much like a fuel tank getting smaller with age. Odds are the batteries will be much cheaper with better range by then anyway.

But here is something to think about.

And here is the song to go with above:

-Don- Reno, NV

Aswild

See here.

For the battery waste issue:

And even if the power ONLY comes from coal, an EV is three times more efficient than a gas vehicle. But very little comes from coal where EVs are most popular, such as in CA.

The oil companies and EV haters have been great on spreading their BS, but the truth is out there, if you look for it.

-Don- Reno
Great video and info Thanks

tdyoung58

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Here's a picture of lithium mines .... Tell me again how energy efficient all those mining vehicles are .... Or the plants that generate your battery charging power.

Ecology friendly my left testicle.

Time to dig up some more dinosaur grease

Screenshot_20210416-184010.png