I champion the use of dogs for all kinds of hunting.

I favor any pro-dog legislation that lifts any bans on unleashed dogs for all game everywhere in America. I favor dogs for wildlife conservation. I favor dogs that can get the gunner in to close range so wounding game is much less common. Dogs prevent lost game or wounded game.

Any game warden who shoots a dog that is merely chasing deer is a monster. Game laws against dogs are purely idiotic.

A barrel or two over a dog or a pack of hounds is a warm and fuzzy feeling.

Dogs provide security to hunters in the field. Dogs provide companionship out in nature. Call me old-fashioned.

Many a Johnny Reb in the American South share my fuzzy emotions about the pooch with a gun over him.

Does anybody here share my sentiments?

Here is a good dog-hunting article:

The Dog-Hunting Debate - North American Whitetail

Last edited:
Do NV Game Wardens shoot dogs chasing deer? Their bullets would be better spent on wild horses.
I don't know about Nevada, but game wardens are allowed to do so in Idaho by Idaho F&G regs. Ammunition and tax dollars would be better spent shooting illegal aliens, drug dealers and violent criminals...and, oh, those nasty porcupines which once quilled one of my Labs years ago resulting in a $250 vet bill. I would like to see an all-out bounty on quilled rodents.

Suffice it to say, I champion the widespread use of dogs in all hunting including for bears which Commie-fornia has banned and for deer which most western states have banned. The South is America's last bastion for the age-old tradition of hunting deer with hounds.

Last edited:

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Commercial Sponsor
Forum Supporter
Dogs are smart. They can be trained not to get quilled, or they usually pick it up really quickly on their own after the first one.

Don't know much about hunting with dogs, but hunting is just so very different in different parts of the country, mostly because of terrain,available game, and property ownership issues.

Dogs are smart. They can be trained not to get quilled, or they usually pick it up really quickly on their own after the first one.

Don't know much about hunting with dogs, but hunting is just so very different in different parts of the country, mostly because of terrain,available game, and property ownership issues.
Here is how pushed deer is hunted down South:

The landed gentry have been fighting dogs, guns and hunters since Day One.

I found this interview with Mike Thurman hosted by Ron Boehme of Michigan:

https://thehuntingdogpodcast.com/episod ... ederation/

Dear (your state) State Lawmaker:

Current (your state if applicable) game regs prohibit the use of dogs for all hoofed game species as to the best of my knowledge.

I support the REMOVAL of prohibitions against dogs for hoofed game because it is wise in the name of wildlife conservation to do so. Hounds permit hunters to be much closer to the game for a good shot for a decisive kill and greatly reduce wounded or lost game animals. Allowing dogs for deer would also promote much more interest in deer hunting given the strong bond between man and dog and hence generate greater revenue for the state. Dogs are a highly efficient method to control game populations. This has been proven by the lawful use of deer-hunting dogs in the Southern states for several centuries now. Man has been hunting with dogs for some 15,000 years. Furthermore, dogs provide hunters personal security in the field against possible criminal attacks and attacks from wild predators.

Hoofed game includes all deer species, elk, wild sheep, moose, pigs and pronghorn.

Here in my home state of Idaho, a blood-trailing hound is still permitted (though not mandatory) for finding wounded big game provided the animal is on a leash which likely means the hunter with a gun in hand will need at least one partner to manage the dog on the hunt. I can't see myself as a solo deer hunter with both hands on my rifle to have positive control over my gun while my hound is tethered to my belt. That sets up a possible tripping and fall hazard. Humans, after all, only have two hands. How many cartoons have you ever seen with a lone hunter's having his dog on a leash while in the field?

The only way I can see a leashed blood-tracking hound work for a solo deer hunter is at a stand.

I would still be much happier if the at least the LEASH requirement were lifted for blood-trailing hounds for big-game hunters in the field even if the dog were still not actually be allowed to hunt a non-wounded deer before the first shot was fired. Personally, I think having a blood-trailing dog in possession should be mandatory for all big game hunters in the field as this is the most effective tool for recovering any wounded game animals to prevent unnecessary animal suffering and ecological waste of natural resources. Better even yet, actually allowing dogs to hunt deer in the first place would greatly reduce the risk of wounding the game in the first place as hounds can get the hunter in very close range for a highly-likely clean and ethical kill. Idaho still allows dogs off leash for hunting cougar and bear, why not for deer also?

Last edited:
Let 'em run, let 'em bay, let the FREE hounds bay,
From the South to the North, 'tis the American way!

Let 'em track, let 'em trail, let the HOUNDS prevail,
From the East to the West, dogs on deer is the best!

Let em hunt, let em tree, let the HOUNDS roam free,
From the coons to the moose, let the dogs run loose!

Last edited: