• Chat feature is now enabled for ALL USERS!

Humane dispatch of wounded game birds and ducks.

Pheasants, turkeys and ducks can easily have their necks wrung because their necks are large enough to get a hand on and their bodies are heavier.

Small wounded birds as dove and quail might be killed best with a good pair of sharp kitchen shears: a swift beheading. Make sure you have a pair of good shears in your shooting vest for dove, quail, chukar or partridge should Rover retrieve a downed bird with fluttering wings to hand. I suppose a pheasant, duck, goose or turkey can be held by the head and have his neck severed with a sharp pair of shears as well.

Last edited:

NYECOGunsmith

Obsessed Member
Staff member
I've always just grasped both dove and quail by the head, with the body above my index finger / thumb , and then snapped my arm forward and backward once sharply like cracking a whip. Snaps the neck instantly, although some times with a heavier dove or quail, it will decapitate them.

Fogie

Swimming Pool Monkey
Forum Supporter
Give dove and quail "The Anaconda"... squeeze them firmly enough to prevent breathing. Kills a vigorous dove or quail in a matter of seconds without getting gory and bloody. They breathe at like 300 rpm, it doesn't take long. Quicker than digging out shears, for certain.
I kill ducks by holding the feet and whacking their noggins against a handy log, rock or even a buttstock. Hard enough to kill them, but not hard enough to mangle. I like to keep my birds beautiful. Wrung necks and decapitation isn't, IMO.

Last edited:
Give dove and quail "The Anaconda"... squeeze them firmly enough to prevent breathing. Kills a vigorous dove or quail in a matter of seconds without getting gory and bloody. They breathe at like 300 rpm, it doesn't take long. Quicker than digging out shears, for certain.
I kill ducks by holding the feet and whacking their noggins against a handy log, rock or even a buttstock. Hard enough to kill them, but not hard enough to mangle. I like to keep my birds beautiful. Wrung necks and decapitation isn't, IMO.
Suffocation sounds like a nasty death.

Fogie

Swimming Pool Monkey
Forum Supporter
Suffocation sounds like a nasty death.
Easier than any death nature would have for them..It's over for them literally in seconds. Better than to suffer shot while shears are produced and implemented.
Whipping them by the head/neck as per NYECOGunsmith would be my second choice, but when I've done it..many, many times..it sometimes takes a second or maybe even third whip. Sometimes, their heads are whipped off.
Personally, I'd prefer to be smothered unconsious in three seconds and dead in seven, than the other.

I'm thinking about taking up wingshooting. I'm a veteran deer hunter and varminter with a rifle. I would get formal shotgun training and learn how to take birds with the least likelihood of crippling. I still have to be prepared to dispatch a wounded fowl because even the best laid plans of mice, men and bird hunters go awry sometimes. :sick:

Fogie

Swimming Pool Monkey
Forum Supporter
They come down alive, sometimes. Ducks quite often, mostly due to steel shot requirements. It was less of an issue in the lead days.
Don't feel bad, it is invariably more humane than the alternative of natural death.