• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Howa HCR 1500 or Ruger Precision?

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
Researching always leads me to spending money!
6.5 Creedmoor....
Is a RPR really work a few hundred more than a Howa 1500?

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Well you need to look at the features of each and what you want. Freefloated barrel, bedded action ot chassis, muzzle brake, adjustable trigger, adjustable cheek riser (lop as well), drop magazine, sling and bipod attachments and any other personal requirements. Once you figure out what you need then add in what it costs for each rifle to meet your needs.

I've always found Rugers to be a good value firearm. Mid range prices, very high quality, and to what I've read, they stand behind and fix any issues - not a lot of info on this because I don't think many people have ANY problems with their firearms not working 100% out of the box.

Don't know a lot about Howa, but I've always rather thought they were a cheaper manufacturer (not like a Jennings, etc).

For me, the Ruger is worth the extra $$.

Would also say resale and retention of value would be a lot better.

Just my $0.02

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
I have plenty of Rugers. They do well at getting repairs back, but not necessarily done right. Had a brand new LCP that went back TWICE because it couldn't fire ball ammo! I gave up on it.

When researching modular out of the box precision rifles, came across a few besides the Ruger Precision, I came across others being made by Weatherby, Howa, Savage, Remington, Thompson Center, etc. After a bunch more research, I found that Howa has been making rifle actions for a long, long time. They even make them for Weatherby.

Found a bunch of reviews on the Howa- and a deal $350 less than I could get the 6.5 Creedmoor RPR. So, I pulled the trigger. We'll see how it goes but I'm pretty confident.

I have plenty of Rugers. They do well at getting repairs back, but not necessarily done right. Had a brand new LCP that went back TWICE because it couldn't fire ball ammo! I gave up on it.

When researching modular out of the box precision rifles, came across a few besides the Ruger Precision, I came across others being made by Weatherby, Howa, Savage, Remington, Thompson Center, etc. After a bunch more research, I found that Howa has been making rifle actions for a long, long time. They even make them for Weatherby.

Found a bunch of reviews on the Howa- and a deal $350 less than I could get the 6.5 Creedmoor RPR. So, I pulled the trigger. We'll see how it goes but I'm pretty confident.

Coolio. Looking forward to a range report - with pics!

I guess everyone can draw a lemon with any manufacturer.

I bought a Glock 42 (.380) back when they first came out. Took it to the range the next day and the damn thing stovepiped every 2nd or 3rd round. I was shocked, as have owned many Glocks over the years, and they have a well deserved reputation for JUST WORKING. Emailed Glock, they sent me a labeled and postage paid box, got it back within 10 days and it has run flawlessly with every type of ammo since then.

Had a PTR32 for awhile (HK style rifle that uses AK mags). Nothing but malfunctions out of the box. Sent it back to manufacturer, and it was better, but still not 100% reliable. Maybe one stovepipe per 30-round mag. Not good enough to earn a permanent place in my safe next to my 100% reliable AK's. Sold it at a loss, with full disclosure. Could have sent it back in to the manufacturer myself, but having to do that more than once on a $1200 rifle just put me off.