How To Become a HAM Radio Operator

NYECOGunsmith

Obsessed Member
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
LE uses names for phonetic spelling, Adam, Bob, Charles, David, Edward, Frank, George, etc.
HAMS use the military phonetic alphabet , Alpha , Bravo, Charlie, Delta, Echo, Foxtrot, Gulf, etc.

ONLY NEWBIE HAMS , like KF7TOE ( a very appropriate call sign!), who are afraid to get on the air, make up hard to understand phonetic descriptors!

gixxer760

Domestic Terrorist aka pa
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Not even. But I am guilty of not pursuing the basics.

-

When LE runs a plate, and the letters are ADG, they might call in 'Adam David George'.

HAM guys will say 'Abomination Divergence Gratuitous', or some other difficult string of words to try to decipher while bouncing signals off the nearest mountain range, the Moon, and Steve's cat!

And the rest of the chatter is even worse!
We had a contractor team who worked with the military at ft Irwin.... They are well known for saying the first word that comes to mind when calling in number.

We want to verify tracking on a bumper. Line gentle killer dog wolf decimal niner 2 extraterrestrial.

First time the main person was out so I had to help with radio I go ugh can you repeat and every word was different.....

NYECOGunsmith

Obsessed Member
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Yup, that would lead to confusion and in an emergency or combat situation, could lead to people dying.
That's why we use a fixed phonetic alphabet, with one syllable words wherever possible that are hard to mistake for any other word, and that everyone instantly recognizes without having to think about it, or worse, be distracted by it.

GatorJim

Squib Saver
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Looks like I am getting back into Ham again, specifically APRS. Is there good coverage in valley and beyond? Any tips or tricks for old dog?

NYECOGunsmith

Obsessed Member
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Are you interested in the text portion of APRS, or just the position tracking, or both?

There are nodes all over the valley, I access the K7CCN-1 bulletin board every Monday evening to check in to the Las Vegas Valley ARES Packet net, I reach it by going through my local node, W7NYE-7 here in Pahrump, then connecting to either the Potosi or Angle digipeaters and then on to the K7CCN-1 site.

Here in Pahrump ,via reversing the above path(s) you could log into the Pahrump BBS, at pahbbs.
Frequency for the Pahrump Digipeater is 145.050.

GatorJim

Squib Saver
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Are you interested in the text portion of APRS, or just the position tracking, or both?

There are nodes all over the valley, I access the K7CCN-1 bulletin board every Monday evening to check in to the Las Vegas Valley ARES Packet net, I reach it by going through my local node, W7NYE-7 here in Pahrump, then connecting to either the Potosi or Angle digipeaters and then on to the K7CCN-1 site.

Here in Pahrump ,via reversing the above path(s) you could log into the Pahrump BBS, at pahbbs.
I am interested in both, more on the text/communication side. In the process of picking up Mobilinkd TNC3 and pairing with an HT and smartphone. Been awhile since was on the air, so all help is greatly appreciated ,Thanks!

ricklaut

Quiet noob
Forum Supporter

RE packet: You can get to me on 145.050 at the WVEGAS packet node (K7FYI-7). I hear POTOSI and ANGEL well. My packet nodes are connected to the local AREDN mesh network, as are 2 other local packet nodes (...but their mesh connection is down for a few days due to wind damage from Wednesday).

RE AREDN Mesh: There are now 3 AREDN mesh nodes on mountaintops around Las Vegas (Apex, Red Mountain and Potosi). Potosi is down, but (hopefully) will be back up soon. There are 10+ other nodes connected into the mesh. More on AREDN at https://www.arednmesh.org/; contact me for local configuration details.

We've had a local APRS receiver available to both packet and mesh users, which is useful if you want to query who has been heard (packet) or see local activity on a map, but don't have internet (mesh). It should be back up soon (after the wind damage is repaired).