• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

How often do you top off your coolant?

Pcmaker

Well-known member (45 ACP)
I have a 2004 Toyota Corolla and I have to fill the reservoir around every 6 months or so from completely empty to full. I always thought I have a leak somewhere, but I've never been able to find it. I just chalked it up to evaporation.

SixshooterSam

Yep, you got a leak. Coolant never needs topping off unless you have a leak. This could be external, or it could be internal, with the engine consuming it.

I assume this is a CE or S with a 1.8L?

Look for residue all around under the hood. On and near all the hoses and their connections, on the radiator, etc.. look around carefully with a flashlight, look for wet spots or spots that look like they have been wet recently. A small leak of that size at a radiator tank seam or elsewhere won't necessarily leave a spot on the ground.

Usually small external leaks you will get whiffs of on occasion. Especially when sitting in drive-thrus, as you're creeping along, it's usually hot, and your window is open at least part of the time.

Good title for a beer drinkers forum as well:)

Cheers
"Can I pour you a beer, Mr. Peterson?"
\-"A little early isn't it, Woody?"

\-"For a beer?"

\-"No, for stupid questions."

If the Coronavirus really isn't about a beer...
Then why do I keep seeing cases of it?

yes, could be a leak

Typically, coolant loss is caused by a leak. A leak can be either internal, such as a leaky gasket, or external, such as a hose failure or crack in the radiator. An external leak is usually determined by a puddle of coolant underneath the vehicle. Coolant loss can also be caused by a leaky or improperly sealed radiator cap allowing the super-heated coolant to evaporate.

All jokes aside,
good luck with the issue
I had a good radiator mechanic
but since this bs
he has headed out of this insanity

Janizary

Geth Prime
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Agreed.

I've used Wally's on and off over the years since ~1990. They had a rough patch or two, but they are on top of their game now. Highly recommended.

Aswild

Wallys huh I think u have recommended them before I might have to take my 4 runner there for tranny fluid change break fluid change and coolint change only have 60000 miles on it but
I would fell better

Gullwing

Former Padawan Apprentice Now Master
Staff member
Get a cheap pressure tester. Find on on Amazon or HF. Like before check for build up at connections, or the water pump, check in the footwells if so then heatercore. Also check your engine oil, if it is milky... head gasket or head.

MAC702

I don't believe in the no-win scenario
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
just bought some UV dye and UV light. I should get it tomorrow.
I was just about to ask if antifreeze shows up under UV light. Might not even need to put in a dye.

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I think it’s mileage dependent, if I’m running all over the uzi triangle I may use about a cup. In general about a gallon per year for both vehicles tpopping.

SixshooterSam

I was just about to ask if antifreeze shows up under UV light. Might not even need to put in a dye.
Don't think it does, no. But honestly, if you need dye to find a coolant leak, you're probably just not looking hard enough. Even a small amount of coolant leaking leaves residue, and if you're continuously losing a small amount as described here, there will absolutely be residue and corrosion around wherever that leak is.

ColtBill45

Forum Supporter
2023 Supporter
My reservoir I top off a few times a year as they will evaporate a bit but the radiator itself should not be losing coolant at all. Majority of the leaks come from a bad radiator cap. Check the rubber seal on it.

Pcmaker

Half the people I know say I gotta top it off a few times a year because the distilled water evaporates through a vent tube, the other half says I have a leak because they never have to top off their coolant

SixshooterSam

Half the people I know say I gotta top it off a few times a year because the distilled water evaporates through a vent tube, the other half says I have a leak because they never have to top off their coolant
If your system is properly sealed, with a good radiator cap, and a proper mixture of clean 50/50 antifreeze, you should not be losing any appreciable amount of coolant through evaporation. A proper mixture of antifreeze evaporates very, very slowly, and on a properly maintained and sealed system, the only avenue for evaporation would be the small vent for the reservoir. It's very unlikely that you're losing the contents of that reservoir to evaporation every six months.

JimBianchi

Daddy
Forum Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I've had my 2012 Pilot for 5+ years, today was the first time I changed or added fluid. (115K miles)

Never needed any.

JR3

Active member (5.56mm)
I've had my 06 Suburban for about 3 months and I had to add almost a gallon about a week ago.
While diagnosing my AC problems I found out why. Leak under top hose. Never saw any coolant leaks on the driveway nor did it ever run hot.
Just replaced my radiator the other day.

0922201117_resized.jpg

Harley

BANNED FOR LIFE+10 Because he dared me to do it!
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
I've had my 06 Suburban for about 3 months and I had to add almost a gallon about a week ago.
While diagnosing my AC problems I found out why. Leak under top hose. Never saw any coolant leaks on the driveway nor did it ever run hot.
Just replaced my radiator the other day.

View attachment 71134
Just a heads up. If your heater core has those plastic connections, keep an eye on them. I had one come apart on my silverado and it blew out all the coolant. Its a common failure.

Luckily it happened to mine while I had it idling in the driveway. They break apart just like your radiator did.

moar different

CCSC Brass Repatriator
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
if it runs ok just top it off. they make a combustion leak detector that doesnt cost too much. (google it).
at any rate dont open a can of worms on an older car. check if under the oil fill is a emulsified oil (milky)