• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

How many stick shift drivers do we have?

Ramone

Well-known member (45 ACP)
I drive a stick, have for decades, and I will continue to do so as long as I can buy one new. Chevrolet is still providing cars with the MT. VW, Nissan, and Toyota, sometimes they do. You need to shop hard to find one.

In response to the comment above about bigger motors now in cars, there is something to this issue. Many basic transportation cars were once 50 to 95 horsepower. They were 4 cylinder motors or small V-6 ones. But now...crazy...big 4 cylinder motors that make a lot of noise and allow too much acceleration at once. It is not helpful for just getting from A to B.

MAC702

I don't believe in the no-win scenario
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
Mine is not much fun to shift in stop-and-go construction, rush hour, and accident conditions; especially when towing. That big clutch handles 400 HP and 900 ft-lb.

Just an Average Joe

Forum Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber

Currently have 2 cars with 6-speeds.

Wouldn't be without at least one manual.

Even though the newer electronic sequential shift sports cars may be faster, they lack the same driver involvement and FUN.

DonTom

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
I drive a stick, have for decades, and I will continue to do so as long as I can buy one new. Chevrolet is still providing cars with the MT. VW, Nissan, and Toyota, sometimes they do. You need to shop hard to find one.
In England, I discovered the opposite. It's difficult to find an automatic tranny over there.

I guess most Americans are too lazy to shift. Or never learned how.

I think I heard in England the license is different for a stick. With the stick license you can drive an automatic but not vice versa. So perhaps more want the higher license and take the time to learn how to drive a stick shift.

-Don- Flagstaff, AZ

MAC702

Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
...I think I heard in England the license is different for a stick. With the stick license you can drive an automatic but not vice versa...
Nevada is the same for motorcycles. If you don't test with a manual xmission motorcycle, you can only get a moped license, whatever they call it, but it allows only the automatic transmission cycles.

DonTom

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Nevada is the same for motorcycles. If you don't test with a manual xmission motorcycle, you can only get a moped license, whatever they call it, but it allows only the automatic transmission cycles.
I had no idea. I never had to take the NV M/C riding test. My CA M/C endorsement was enough to wave the NV M/C test for my NV driver's license.

-Don- Flagstaff, AZ (RV trip)

Gullwing

Former Padawan Apprentice Now Master
Staff member
In England, I discovered the opposite. It's difficult to find an automatic tranny over there.

I think I heard in England the license is different for a stick. With the stick license you can drive an automatic but not vice versa. So perhaps more want the higher license and take the time to learn how to drive a stick shift.

-Don- Flagstaff, AZ
Gas in England is like $9 a gallon, gas here is less than that. So here do you want the V6 or V8? V8 is 150hp more and only a few thousand more... V8! Over there do you want the I4, larger I4 or turbo I4? 70, 60 or 50mpg... small I4! Now manual 75mpg or auto 70... manual!

Miatas are fun to drive, but could never get past the "chick car" thing.

:ROFLMAO:

If I lived someplace with lots of curvy roads, like back east, or even CA, it would be a fun car, but for our mostly straight streets and freeway driving the car seems underpowered. Always wished they would find a way to bump the power up to S2000 levels or better. Surprised it never happened.

Did you get the turbo installed here in Vegas? How much HP is your car running?
Factory turbo, I only added bolt ons, was making around 200whp, was good enough to take most s2000 off the line, but I lost to their gearing around 80-90mph. I drove it here from NYC back in 2012. Pegged it at 130mph for a good stretch in OK trying to outrun 3 tornados.

Just an Average Joe

Forum Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Factory turbo, I only added bolt ons, was making around 200whp, was good enough to take most s2000 off the line, but I lost to their gearing around 80-90mph. I drove it here from NYC back in 2012. Pegged it at 130mph for a good stretch in OK trying to outrun 3 tornados.
You got one of the rare 2004/5 Mazdaspeed factory turbos!!

lucky basterd! Post up some pics - under the hood too!

Ramone

-Don- Flagstaff, AZ
Yes, when you go to England, and rent a car at the airport, be ready to ask for an automatic if that system is your bag. Driving on the left and operating a manual transmission with your left hand, instead of your right, is a classical gas. (Yes, I am in a 1960s mode today. See Emily Play.)

Just an Average Joe

Forum Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Bigx5 - that is one CLEAN Miata - Looks great, even more so when u consider it is 15 years old. How many miles on it?

MAC702

Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
...Driving on the left and operating a manual transmission with your left hand, instead of your right, is a classical gas...
I worked a couple years in Papua New Guinea. Since I was going to be there for a long enough period of time, I imported a vehicle from Japan, a Toyota mini-van, 5-speed manual. Learning the stick on the left side was a piece of cake; it's just a good thing the clutch pedal is still on the left foot. Driving on the left side of the road took me a couple days to get used to. But in two years, I hit the wipers every single time I tried to use the turn signal.

Gullwing

Former Padawan Apprentice Now Master
Staff member
Shifting with the left hand isn't that bad. Did that a lot growing up when my mom drove, I would shift for her.

StarFire

Member (9mm)
I learned to drive the farm truck. 1950's ford 3 speed on the column. 3 on the tree. That truck could go anywhere, do anything.
I have a 1980 F-100, one of the last made with "Three on the Tree."

I don't worry about it getting stolen, because nobody under 45 knows how to shift it and you need some real strength to turn the manual steering and stand on the manual brake!. :)

MAC702

Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
Shifting with the left hand isn't that bad. Did that a lot growing up when my mom drove, I would shift for her.
Yes! It gave me flashbacks of shifting for my dad in the Jeep.

And I've always been shifting with the left hand crossed over my body because the beer is in the right hand.

NYECOGunsmith

WILL BAN FOR AAA Batteries
Staff member
Administrator
Lead Bouncer
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
40+ years ago I briefly owned a Jag XKE that was right hand drive, left hand shift, driving it was easy enough, getting it to not leak oil not so easy!

Just an Average Joe

Forum Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I have a 1980 F-100, one of the last made with "Three on the Tree."

I don't worry about it getting stolen, because nobody under 45 knows how to shift it and you need some real strength to turn the manual steering and stand on the manual brake!. :)

Leave the keys in it and tell me where you park.... and I'll send my 16 year old son over for a joyride (he's learning on a manual).

;)

He'll probably be the only kid in his high school who will be driving a stick shift to school in a year......