• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

How do you make an AR shoot steel case ammo?

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
Commercial Sponsor
That's a good question. What do you mean by steel ammo and "eat anything?"

Tula is absolute crap. Wolf is, by comparison, outstanding. Both are steel.

I couldn't get Tula to work in any of 3 ARs and 2 Ruger Mini-14s.

My full-auto Lage Max-11/15 (uses an AR magazine, barrel, and bolt) eats Wolf all day long and has never malfunctioned.

I’ve run steel cased ammo in all of my ARs over the years. Sometimes a lot, sometimes a little but never had a problem. Steel can be a little hard on the extractors but oh well, they’re cheap.
“Bi-metal” bullets, usually found in Russian steel, can wear a bore a little faster but again, oh well.

That's a good question. What do you mean by steel ammo and "eat anything?"

Tula is absolute crap. Wolf is, by comparison, outstanding. Both are steel.

I couldn't get Tula to work in any of 3 ARs and 2 Ruger Mini-14s.

My full-auto Lage Max-11/15 (uses an AR magazine, barrel, and bolt) eats Wolf all day long and has never malfunctioned.
Basically I want to build an AR that could eat Tula, wolf basically any kind of steel cased ammo out there. Is Tula that (poop)?

The real question is, why would you want to? Steel isn't that much cheaper, and all else being equal will never be as clean or as reliable as brass.

If I wanted a semi-auto centerfire rifle to run steel ammo I'd run an AK instead.
This.

I've got a Saiga in .223 that I run steel through.

But I spend a few cents a round more for brass for my AR's.

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
Commercial Sponsor
My issue in every one of those rifles was the fired case being stuck in the chamber. Undergas issue?

When you jam a Mini-14, you know your ammo is pure poop.

4x4Brit

Worktruck Driver
My issue in every one of those rifles was the fired case being stuck in the chamber. Undergas issue?

When you jam a Mini-14, you know your ammo is pure poop.
I had the same in a Daniel Defense. One round a box almost. Once the rifle got got broken in, it wasn't as bad but I gave up on Tula. Too much hassle. Wolf on the other hand, I have never had much of an issue with.

MP15Reloader

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
I have never had Tula jam in any of my ar15s or ar10s but it is dirty and crap compared to wolf and I probably don’t shoot as much steel cases as others on here.. But it has worked even in my rifle length 18 and 20 inch builds.

If you absolutely wanna run steel, wolf is probably your best bet for ars but I bet it depends on the chamber more than anything. All my ars eat steel, even my personal builds. But my extar would not cycle reliably with any steel case ammo, wolf, Tula, doesn’t matter. That thing would choke on the first round and about every 4th or 5th after. Part of why I sold it, needs to be able to function in the worst case scenario to have its place in my safe.

As far as aks, as someone already said Barnaul is probably the best and most consistent of the bunch. Haven’t ran Barnaul through an ar

I’ve run steel cased ammo in all of my ARs over the years. Sometimes a lot, sometimes a little but never had a problem. Steel can be a little hard on the extractors but oh well, they’re cheap.
“Bi-metal” bullets, usually found in Russian steel, can wear a bore a little faster but again, oh well.
Does anyone build extractors that can handle steal?

The real question is, why would you want to? Steel isn't that much cheaper, and all else being equal will never be as clean or as reliable as brass.

If I wanted a semi-auto centerfire rifle to run steel ammo I'd run an AK instead.
I just want something that can function reliably even when I don’t have the best ammo on hand, I guess the recent panic by really forced me to have the philosophy of over reliability rather than under reliability when it comes to a cycling

JTW_Jr

WheelGunner
My sbr eats everything. My sons aero eats everything. My 16” s.carolina tactical eats everything. Hell I run Tula & wolf thru our pre 86 converted colt sp1. Guess I just got lucky....with all 4 guns. :)