HELP!! Stolen rifle in Vegas

broke_again

Recreational Shooter
Help a fellow shooter out! Reposted for my buddy.

"Alright my shooting peeps. Had a friend get his rifle stolen out of his truck while in Vegas for there monthly match. Was checking into his Hotel and came back and his rifle along with everything else was gone. Happened quick. Keep on the look out if you are in the Vegas area or on the forums in the classifieds."

PM me if you hear anything.

broke_again

Recreational Shooter
More details

The rifle is a 308 built by Crescent Customs. It has a Vortex Gen2 Razor 3-18 and a Manners T4-A stock. Please be on the look out for this rifle if you're in the Vegas area and spread the word to all your friends.

The rifle is owned by an active duty Marine.

Mooman76

Obsessed Member
I have heard of some crooks going out to the range and marking vehicles that were there especially when they have out of towners for a match. That way they can go to the hotels and they probably figure they leave them in vehicles.

theicemanmpls

At least Mom gets a visit.
If I buy a firearm from someone, here, backpage, or garage sale is there anyway to run the serial number?

Are pawn and LGS alerted to stolen guns nation wide?

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Commercial Sponsor
Forum Supporter
Was it laying in plain sight inside the car,or locked in a closed trunk ?
Curious as to the bumper stickers, etc, too.

I don't have any, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure I've probably got $10k in tools on board. One dog stays home, another stays in the truck!

What a bummer to hear.

ZilWin

Obsessed Member
Curious as to the bumper stickers, etc, too.

I don't have any, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure I've probably got $10k in tools on board. One dog stays home, another stays in the truck!

What a bummer to hear.
Ditto on the no advertising. I had to laugh at the pro 2A license plate initiative that passed in the latest legislative session. Ummm...not for me thanks.

ZilWin

Obsessed Member
They cannot steal it from your car if it is NOT in the car.
That's a great concept but there are too many places that have made it a felony to carry into their shop. Did you ever stop at the post office? go to a school meeting for your kids? go to the Social Security office? BLM office? How does one NOT leave their firearm in the car under those conditions?
As I say, easy in theory, difficult in practice.

MAC702

Commercial Sponsor
Forum Supporter
That's a great concept but there are too many places that have made it a felony to carry into their shop. Did you ever stop at the post office? go to a school meeting for your kids?....
Just to clarify the penalties:

It is neither a felony nor misdemeanor to have a gun on post office property. The max penalty is 30 days and $5000, the same as having your dog on postal property. Post offices are not technically "federal facilities" and are governed by different laws. 39 CFR 232.1

It is a gross misdemeanor, not a felony, to have a firearm on school grounds. NRS 202.265

Your point is still valid. There are many times that you just have to leave it in the car. Especially when transporting long guns, or guns that aren't your carry weapon.

That said, when bringing up the post office and schools, it is still a violation in the parking lot, though not actively enforced in most cases.

I think just keeping your gun's out of sight in your car would be okay.At least any crook's wont see any reason too steal from your car.
Just to clarify the penalties:

It is neither a felony nor misdemeanor to have a gun on post office property. The max penalty is 30 days and $5000, the same as having your dog on postal property. Post offices are not technically "federal facilities" and are governed by different laws. 39 CFR 232.1

It is a gross misdemeanor, not a felony, to have a firearm on school grounds. NRS 202.265

Your point is still valid. There are many times that you just have to leave it in the car. Especially when transporting long guns, or guns that aren't your carry weapon.

That said, when bringing up the post office and schools, it is still a violation in the parking lot, though not actively enforced in most cases.

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
As usual this thread gets hijacked and taken down the rabbit hole. A member comes here to ask for help from the membership with looking for a stolen rifle. From post #2 on it becomes all about not leaving a gun in a car or where it is legal to actually carry a gun. Never mind this guy wasn't going to try to carry his 16lb precision rifle into a post office.

MAC702

Commercial Sponsor
Forum Supporter
Not much else to say except a round of "Bummer, man; I'll keep an eye out."

The rest seems like good reminders for all to minimize how often it can happen. It's called conversation. It happens. Especially so since we never received any details about how it was stolen or what indicators there were. We didn't even hear if the vehicle had actually been damaged in a break-in.

Did the OP complain?

Last edited:

broke_again

Recreational Shooter
Not much else to say except a round of "Bummer, man; I'll keep an eye out."

The rest seems like good reminders for all to minimize how often it can happen. It's called conversation. It happens. Especially so since we never received any details about how it was stolen or what indicators there were. We didn't even hear if the vehicle had actually been damaged in a break-in.

Did the OP complain?
A police report was filed with Metro. I don't have all the details on the incident. The guy drove in from California in the middle of the night, parked at his cousins house around 1:30am and crashed out. At around 6am his vehicle had been broken into. He got the run around from Metro and Henderson as his cousins house is on the edge of both jurisdictions.

He just wants his gear back. As an enlisted Marine this stuff is very expensive to him.

ZilWin

Obsessed Member
A police report was filed with Metro. I don't have all the details on the incident. The guy drove in from California in the middle of the night, parked at his cousins house around 1:30am and crashed out. At around 6am his vehicle had been broken into. He got the run around from Metro and Henderson as his cousins house is on the edge of both jurisdictions.

He just wants his gear back. As an enlisted Marine this stuff is very expensive to him.
Unfortunately, this is a common MO for locals these days. Cruise the neighborhoods at 3am checking cars parked in the street for unlocked/valuables. As MAC says, it's a reminder to all of us to be diligent with ALL of our stuff including firearms. Doesn't matter to the punks what it is as long as they can get some $$$ for it.
Sorry your friend ended up a victim. Not sure if the LGS look at this forum for stolen gun alerts or if there's a good way to get the info to them on the off chance someone tries to sell it to one of them.

MAC702

Commercial Sponsor
Forum Supporter

Bummer, man. I'll keep an eye out.