H&R 922 one piece grip

JimBianchi

Daddy
Forum Supporter
Well I have a couple of similar H&R pistols and they are very straight forward. I even looked up the Nurmuric schematics to be sure, and the grips, both small and oversized should be two pieces held with one screw, old ones may be fused or stuck on. If it truly is one piece, you may have to just leave them alone. I could not find a reference for one piece grips for the 922. They could be custom.

If they are fused from dirt or bubba-glued them, they may break taking them off. Try soaking the grip end in oil or similar product that will not damage the plastic. Because they are plastic, don't use heat.

If they do break, replacements are available.

My 949 grips broke (single piece walnut) and I had to troll eBay for a month to find pair, but I found them eventually.\

Good luck.

UPDATED!!

Well I'll be!

I found a reference to the single piece grips! They started in 1931 and ran until the war. After the war the grips were offered in both designs.

From pictures I can see there may be a center post that can be plucked or pushed out. Either that or they rock/slide off. The schematics available were no help.

Last edited:
Well I have a couple of similar H&R pistols and they are very straight forward. I even looked up the Nurmuric schematics to be sure, and the grips, both small and oversized should be two pieces held with one screw, old ones may be fused or stuck on. If it truly is one piece, you may have to just leave them alone. I could not find a reference for one piece grips for the 922. They could be custom.

If they are fused from dirt or bubba-glued them, they may break taking them off. Try soaking the grip end in oil or similar product that will not damage the plastic. Because they are plastic, don't use heat.

If they do break, replacements are available.

My 949 grips broke (single piece walnut) and I had to troll eBay for a month to find pair, but I found them eventually.\

Good luck.

UPDATED!!

Well I'll be!

I found a reference to the single piece grips! They started in 1931 and ran until the war. After the war the grips were offered in both designs.

From pictures I can see there may be a center post that can be plucked or pushed out. Either that or they rock/slide off. The schematics available were no help.
My piece was mfg in 1940 & these are original as they have the HR logo.

JimBianchi

Daddy
Forum Supporter
I posted this on rimfirecentral and got an answer.

The grips are slightly flexible and are pried off, open them just enough to to slide them off. They stick frequently.

This how they break.