Gun Brackets In My Pickup

Prior to 1985 when I lived in Casper, Wyoming. It was very common to have a long gun in brackets in the back window. I assume that I can't do that anymore.

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Commercial Sponsor
Forum Supporter
It's perfectly legal. Rifles and shotguns just can't have a round in the chamber unless you meet medical exemptions.

It may not be good security in the urban areas any more.

I liked the one that put two long guns on the ceiling inside. I ran that one in my pickup up until two years ago.

Felid'Maximus

Beware of Cat
Forum Supporter
If you drive to any roadside parks or safety rest areas you could face a $1000 fine for exhibiting a firearm in a firearms rack.

https://www.leg.state.nv.us/NAC/NAC-408.html#NAC408Sec615

This is per administrative code passed by the department of transportation.

In theory state law says that the state legislature reserves such rights and powers to itself to regulate firearms. In practice, it is up to the courts to decide.

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Commercial Sponsor
Forum Supporter
I've never heard the firearms rack interpreted into that "exhibiting a firearm" code before. The NAC certainly doesn't specify racks.

I've also never heard of that code being enforced in any way, shape, or form; probably because any meaning it MIGHT have is unenforceable anyway.

But you are correct that someone MIGHT get a wild hair up their ass and MIGHT enforce it to that meaning, and then it WOULD be settled in a court as a clear violation of state preemption. Meanwhile, open carriers and exposed vehicle gun racks are present at "roadside parks and safety rest areas" every day. I have never met a cop that thought that was "exhibiting" a firearm.

Last edited:

Felid'Maximus

Beware of Cat
Forum Supporter
I'm not worried about it, personally, but it is one of our present infringements foisted upon us by unelected bureaucrats. I personally make it a point to open carry at all roadside parks and safety rest areas and hope some highway patrolman gives me a fine so I could fight in the courts. My guess is that the only reason cops ignore it is because they are simply unaware that the code even exists.

But I have had a time in the past where I was stopped by police for open carry, and the cops were literally flipping through a law book to find something to charge me with. I think I was told I was going to be arrested for about 3 different fake offences that day.

buckmeister2

uber n00b
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Just as likely that many cops know the law, but realize it is ridiculous. Cops see me open carry often, and have never said a word. In fact...I pulled into the parking lot of Panda Kitchen, and saw a K9 unit. I decided to leave my gun in the car 'cuz you never know what attitude you might run into. Left the holster on (belt through loops type), and went inside. Cop sees me, comes over and quietly says, "that holster won't do you any good if there's no gun it". We both laughed, and I explained why I left it in the car. He said there are very few guys in Metro that are at all concerned about open carry, but a few of the "younger guys" will make an issue...OR...if you have a personal appearance that would give them reason to think that you might not be a law-abiding citizen.

Felid, you openly admit that you "hope" someone gives you a hard time. Maybe that attitude shows, and that is why the cops are looking for a way to nail you. No cop has ever said a word to me about carrying, and I have carried concealed or open, legal and not legal, for over 40 years. Not saying you are a bad guy, or even that I am a good guy, but maybe you convey that "I dare you" attitude some of the time.

buckmeister2

uber n00b
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
New #9
Not sure what your post has to do with the Original Post.
Regardless..."This isn't the same world Americans have fought for!" is correct. The last time we really did "fight for our nation", our borders were respected, police were respected, laws were respected, there was no welfare, no EBT, no gangs cutting off heads, people came to the U.S. mostly via Ellis Island, they went to work and BECAME AMERICANS, there were no entitlements, nobody was shooting up schools or churches, nobody locked their doors at night, and so many other things that are not like they were in 1941. Yes, we did have a LOT of social problems, and other problems, but nothing that impacted our lives every minute we were awake, as so many things do today.

As a result, we cannot do all things today just as we did in 1941. Therefore, comparing the cartoon caption to what used to be conventional American thinking has no bearing. However, that is just my opinion.

Gullwing

1911 pistolsmith
Staff member
Just as likely that many cops know the law, but realize it is ridiculous. Cops see me open carry often, and have never said a word. In fact...I pulled into the parking lot of Panda Kitchen, and saw a K9 unit. I decided to leave my gun in the car 'cuz you never know what attitude you might run into. Left the holster on (belt through loops type), and went inside. Cop sees me, comes over and quietly says, "that holster won't do you any good if there's no gun it". We both laughed, and I explained why I left it in the car. He said there are very few guys in Metro that are at all concerned about open carry, but a few of the "younger guys" will make an issue...OR...if you have a personal appearance that would give them reason to think that you might not be a law-abiding citizen.
If you must open carry, do it right...
20181012_133617.jpg 20181012_133624.jpg

buckmeister2

uber n00b
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
That appears to be a Ruger LCP. I can't think why a person would rather have a fugly and awkward 12-round .380 acp then a well-fitted 12-round 9mm that would be less visible...

Gullwing

1911 pistolsmith
Staff member
Yeah was all wrong. I don't think he was wearing a belt either so it flopped way out to the side.
Would be so easy to grab from him too.