• URGENT! Help STOP the UNCONSTITUTIONAL Red Flag Law AB291!
    CLICK HERE for details!

Got a few questions if you would care to answer honestly would be appreciated...

1) are you a novice, intermediate, or seasoned shooter?
2) what brand & type of ammo are you currently shooting, what distance & size is your target?
3) are you happy with your current ammo's "bang-for-the-buck", i.e. performance (accuracy/grouping) for its cost?
4) your goal is: a) I'm happy as long as it goes bang, I don't care if I hit my target or not.... b) I want to become a better shooter....

Thanks for your answers/inputs

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Commercial Sponsor
Forum Supporter
Seeing this is in Handguns:

1) Seasoned
2) Homemade or bulk deals from CCI, Federal, Winchester, Fiocchi, etc, when on sale; 3-150 yds, 8" - 18"
3) Not when I think about how cheap it used to be, even though it's not bad now, considering
4) b)

Last edited:

jfrey123

I aim to misbehave...
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
1) Intermediate. Becoming a dad has slowed my shooting significantly but I’m getting back into it slowly.

2) Winchester/WWB, Magtech, commercial reloads. I have thousands of rounds for most my calibers in the closet, but rarely buy in bulk. I used to prefer buying one to two boxes every paycheck and hoard it.

7-15 yards for handguns (occasionally longer for fun). 10” or smaller discs, stationary clays, B27 silhouettes.

3) I don’t own any match grade firearms, I’m happy with fist sized groups.

4) b

pick_six

Adjusting to the west!
Forum Supporter
Intermediate
Various bulk ammo for practice
Target ammo, bang. Carry or Night stand ammo. Something better. Hornady or similar.
B, want to improve. Don’t shoot as much as I’d like. Need to do more.

Seasoned, I have been shooting since I was 5 or 6. I go to the range a couple of times a month for a few hours with handguns, rifles, shotguns.

2) what brand & type of ammo are you currently shooting, what distance & size is your target?

A) Any ammo that is reliable (i.e. pretty much any factory ammo.)
B) Handguns, I practice at 30 feet mostly, that is the longest distance I would ever shoot in my house. I do still practice with hunting caliber revolvers, iron sights and scoped, at up to 75 yards. Generally 8" targets.
C) Rifles 25 to 1200 yards. Targets range from 4" grids with 1/2" bullseye for 100 yards with a .22, to large steel plates at BRPC at the silhouette range.
D) Shotguns with clays from a launcher.

3) are you happy with your current ammo's "bang-for-the-buck", i.e. performance (accuracy/grouping) for its cost?

If it doesn't shoot well I don't buy it again. There are plenty of places to buy good ammo at reasonable prices.

4) your goal is: a) I'm happy as long as it goes bang, I don't care if I hit my target or not.... b) I want to become a better shooter....

My goal is to hit my target the 1st time, EVERY TIME. Practice, practice, practice.

STV_Keith

Obsessed Member
1> Seasoned
2> Currently training with Winchester white box 115gr or Federal 115gr 9mm FMJ. We shoot out to 50 yds for pistol.
3> Happy with it.
4> B - the goal is not to miss.

Felid'Maximus

Beware of Cat
Forum Supporter

1) I've been shooting for over 15 years, but I'm getting worse not better over the last few years. My eyes are getting worse, my hands are getting worse, etc.
2) Different for each gun. I like to shoot at paper plates and will shoot at them from contact distance out to hundreds of yards away. I have preferred loads for each gun. In .223 for instance, I prefer Hornady Steel Match for long range shooting as it is a balance of affordability and precision. It's the only ammo I use for my Thompson Contender in .223. But for 50 yards and in using a binary trigger on an AR-15, I'll take whatever is cheapest. For my revolver, my own personal .38 handloads are the most accurate and my preferred choice, but I don't have much time for handloading these days.
3/4) Ideally, I want a cartridge that I can reliably put into a 4 inch group at whatever distance I am interested in engaging the target at. That's a very generous accuracy standard at 4 yards, but a very precise standard at 400 yards.

TexasJackKin

Breathng Free, at last
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
  • Seasoned (Nearly 60 years)
  • Most of my guns have never had a factory round though them (I reload) I shoot USPSA competitions once a month, and typically practice at least once a month in addition. I used to shoot high power rifle matches, as well as Bulls Eye pistol.
  • Yes, I’m happy with my current ammo supply, wish components were cheaper….
  • B, I’m always working on improving my shooting, when I practice it’s with a purpose. I do take new shooters out, and when I do, my purpose is safety!

repoman

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
1. Seasoned
2. I reload my own, I shoot 3gun competitively at distances from point blank to 400 yards
3. yes
4. b, I'm constantly striving to become a better shooter, that will never end.

HomeSkillet

Outdoors for the win
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter

1) Intermediate
2) 115 grain reloads or for commercial - Blazer and Federal (115 grain FMJ RN). Shooting mainly 15 yards or less at AR500 steel the size of a human torso. Been watching too many Jerry Miculek videos so sometimes I shoot out to 300 yards for no other reason than to waste ammo
3) Works for me and my current skill level
4) Aside from having fun I do devote some of my shooting time to developing consistent draw skills and improving reaction time and accuracy

JimBianchi

Daddy
Forum Supporter
Seasoned shooter, 45+years.

Competitive, recreational, instructor and hunter.

Shot boxed ammo mostly, what ever was most accurate and would buy it by the case.

Started reloading when shooting competition, saved enough to buy several new guns.