Google Maps: Reno Area Shooting Spots

If you are headed north off of 80 Take that right at the gas station into the cul-de-sac, you'll see an open gat just follow that road. You can cut through the empty lot but the road over the hump is really chewed up. Also if you have a 4X4 if you take the road over the hill right there at the pit allot of folks shoot back there to. Mostly long guns.
I'll have to check this place out today. I've had a few days off work before my new job starts.

I've only seen one other vehicle drive up here but I assumed he was driving the trail. Didn't think it was far enough from the road to be considered legal to shoot.

RyansDaddy

Fernley Shooter
It is far enough only has to be 1000 feet. and it is in a canyon so the sound is really knocked down. Side note, I was up there today and someone went up there with a bulldozer and really cleaned it up. Nice to see.

Dave R

PVGC What?
Forum Supporter
Washoe County Ordinance

50.092 Unlawful discharge of firearms; exemption.
1. It is unlawful for any person to:
(a) Discharge any gun, pistol, rifle, shotgun or other firearm
in, on or across any county road or highway.
(b) Discharge in the unincorporated area of the county, any
gun, pistol, rifle or other firearm, with the exception of
shotguns, air rifles or B-B guns, within 5,000 feet of any
dwelling occupied by another person or persons.
(c) Discharge in the unincorporated area of the county, any
shotgun, air rifle or B-B gun within 1,000 feet of any dwelling
occupied by another person or persons.
(d) Discharge any gun, pistol, rifle, shotgun or other firearm
within any congested area of the county.
2. This section does not apply to:
(a) Peace officers in the lawful discharge of duty;
(b) To persons shooting in any regularly established and
lawfully authorized and licensed rifle range, gun club or
shooting gallery;
(c) To any person lawfully discharging a firearm in protection
of life or property.
[§2, Ord. No. 136; A Bill No. 296; A Ord. No. 1180]

RyansDaddy

Fernley Shooter
Thanks Dave good info.

I was up there shooting today, picked up 5 boxes of 9mm brass. I love it when people shoot and drop the brass I just wish they would leave me the boxes too.

I went up there the day before you and saw all that 9mm but I don't shoot 9mm.

I had a feeling it was too close for pistols. I kept checking over my shoulder to see if someone was coming. I too believe the canyon drowns out the noise and the intersection is pretty busy so shooting would go unnoticed. Can't say I'll go there too often but it was a good place to check out some reloads I made.

RyansDaddy

Fernley Shooter
It is a commonly known shooting location. I have been shooting there since 2004 or 2005 when I was stationed out here as an Army Recruiter. It is nice for like you said, trying out some new loads. I shoot allot of 308 and that is just to short to be effective, but I have tested 9mm, 44 Mag and 44 SPC loads back there. But no sustained shooting. I have went up there to see if there is any brass a few times and folks have been in there lighting up the world and more than once folks have been using exploding targets.

I just added it because it it there and to pass on the info. I don’t know the strait line distance from this building to that I just know it is there so I marked it.

With that said, when I do shoot I pick up everything with a primer in it. So if you all need something I amy have it.

I dont sell brass but I do trade it off for stuff I need. .308, 30 Carbine, 44 Mag, 44 SPC. So if you need something ask I may have it. I am out of .45 right now I am sending 23 pound to a Guy in LV for his .308.

RyansDaddy

Fernley Shooter
I am retired and I shoot 2 or 3 days a week if any of you feel like sending lead down range, sharing reloading data, shoot me a message I'll pass on my phone number and info.

Dave R

PVGC What?
Forum Supporter
The ordinance specifies dwelling but does not define it. At the Vista spot the gas station and other businesses shouldn't matter. There are two motor lodges within 5000' but no permanent dwellings unless there is someone living by the Pick and Pull lot. I can't remember if there's a house on that street or not. For this location the question is whether or not a temporary dwelling like a motel qualifies.

I did read sometime back in the RGJ that due to budget problems deputies would no longer respond to calls about people shooting in the desert. If its in the paper it must be true.

RyansDaddy

Fernley Shooter
I did read sometime back in the RGJ that due to budget problems deputies would no longer respond to calls about people shooting in the desert. If its in the paper it must be true.
I love it!!!! It may not be the greatest place to shoot and it is hard to get into with a car but it is close and good to squeez off a few rounds. I still prefer the Areas here in Fernley and Derby dam.

ScottyS

Now we try factory ammo
Forum Supporter
The Gazette Urinal, ha. There might be some truth to that, but who knows.

All I know is that 2 out of the last 5 times I went trail running on Peavine there were people shooting high power rifles within a couple hundred yards from the Keystone Canyon trailhead. Un-freakin-believable. I'm talking I can hear ricochets up the canyon where there are literally dozens of people hiking, walking their stupid dogs, or mountainbiking every day. Somebody is going to get hurt, and then the hammer will fall.

Reno plinkers, please just exercise some common sense and follow all the rules of safe handling and target backstops if you insist on shooting within sight of downtown. Some courtesy and realizing that activity levels in the urban-wildland interface are quite a bit different than even 10 years ago would help our collective case with the County and legions of CA immigrants.

Stead Public Shooting Area....anyone familiar with that one? I followed the directions per the post. Got to the uphill half mile point off of N. Virginia and saw no shooting area. That rocky half-mile stretch was OK for my Ford F150, but don't take your Metro up there!
I saw a "trail" going off to the right and came across a flat area several hundred yards later with some shotgun shells lying around. That "trail" had some monstrous wet ruts that necessitated 4wd. No way any car would get through there.

RyansDaddy

Fernley Shooter
I went out off Vista yesterday and picked up a few hundred mixed brass man the road was nasty in the mini van after the rain and snow. Someone shot up about 300 5.56mm rounds out at Derby Dam.

If anyone is interested in trading brass for brass let me know I am looking for 44 Mag, 44 Spc. 30 carbine and .308 I have a good mix of everything except .45 ACP right now I just treaded off 27 pounds of it for some .308

Joe

Very Active Member
Found the following letter at Sportsman's Warehouse last week. I have seen a bunch of new congested area signs go up but no "map" at any of them. Signs are a metal road stake with a narrow vertical plastic sign that says "no shooting-congested area".

b0neZ

skinny dude
[MENTION=2960]RyansDaddy[/MENTION] if you want more brass to trade, there's a shooting spot up above Jacarinda Rd. in Silver Springs that's quite popular. I know it has quite a bit of .45. I'd add it to the map but I don't know how.

b0neZ

skinny dude
Thanks for the Info. i will have to check it out. I shoot out past Fort Churchill I will have to head out tomorrow and take a look around
South on 95A, turn right on Jacarinda. Point of reference is a small, run down trailer park directly across the highway (5th street). Once you're up off the main road, follow the trail around the hill. The path forks 3 times, take the 2nd right fork. The shooting spot will be obvious.

bulldrm

Hey all, new member to the forum and new owner of an AR15...I tried going to the place off of vista tonight and the gate was closed...anyone been out there lately?