• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Glock 42 issues

My wife has had issues with her Glock 42 since we got it. I’ve tried to research on YouTube and appears several people have the same issue but all the fixes don’t seem to work

It will stove pipe or not eject at all pretty much every time she shoots any FMJ. If we use hollow points it seems to be better but still not trust worthy enough to carry for her. Has anyone else had these issues or know of some fixes?

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
Commercial Sponsor
What is the bullet profile of these FMJ loads? A lot of brands of .380 use a flat point instead of round nose, and I've seen these problems in other subcompact .380 pistols.

What hollow points are you using?

Details matter.

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
Commercial Sponsor
How many rounds have you got through it?

Looks like those 42s prefer hot ammo and hard holds (not relaxed or limp-wristing), but that's too little tolerance for a defensive pistol if a common issue.

Ya that’s all I could find. I’ve been trying to find a reliable fmj to cycle through it but so far no luck. It has about 100 rounds of hollow points and maybe 100 fmj . If I shoot the gun I can get it reliable 80% of the time but even when she grabs it and shoots it like she’s mad it will jam every 2 rounds

He’s right about it liking hot loads , I had to load at the top end of the data for it to cycle reliably . This is with Berries plated 100g fmj & Xtreme’s using 4.1g of cfe

Is it new?

I bought one new right after they came out.

Got the same issues with FMJ (I never tried hollow points at the time, always considered FMJ's the easiest for a pistol to digest). I was shocked as Glocks have a well earned reputation for reliability.

Called Glock, they sent a self addressed postage paid box (UPS IIRC), I sent it back to them, got it back in about 10 days, has been 100% reliable since then with all types of ammo.

I called them about that. They said they can check it out however it is mag #3 so they said the issues have been fixed on g42s with any number on the magazine from factory. I ordered some hotter ammo to see if that fixes it but if not I’m sending it to them for sure

Is it new?

Got the same issues with FMJ (I never tried hollow points at the time, always considered FMJ's the easiest for a pistol to digest). I was shocked as Glocks have a well earned reputation for reliability.

Called Glock, they sent a self addressed postage paid box (UPS IIRC), I sent it back to them, got it back in about 10 days, has been 100% reliable since then with all types of ammo.

Ricci

uber Member
Forum Supporter
Is it new?

Glad it worked out. Did Glock say what work they performed to fix it?

PM720

Poster Level- Expert
Mine has been 100% with at least 4 different brands of FMJ. AE, WWB, Fiochi and BB. I shoot mine mainly in GSSF competition and it has over 1000 rounds through it. I am sure Glock can get it fixed for you.

Oh, and I have ran all 3 iterations of mags with no issues although I only have -3 mags with pinky extensions now. My gun is a later release too.