Giuard Power Trimmer

edwillia

uber n00b
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
I have been reloading for a while without a trimmer. Everything I read about trimmers made me dread getting one. The manual ones take several minutes per brass and with the hundreds of rounds I usually work on at a time, that would take hours. There were electric drill based trimmers as well, but those seemed only slightly faster and were more expensive. The top tier trimmers cost $200 and still don't speed things up dramatically. Somewhere I read about the Giraud power trimmer. Its quite expensive. By the time you get the trimmer and a few shell holders and blades you are looking at $600 or $700. On the other hand my time is valuable and I have already given up on the idea that I will live long enough to save money on reloading, but perhaps my wife will get most of the money back selling the gear after I die. This thing is great, takes about 5 seconds and not only trims but chamfers the brass as well. If your time is money, this is well worth it. If you only reload pistol ammo or you mostly hunt and therefore reload only about 100 rounds a year forget it. If, like me, you like to go to the range and shoot maybe 100 rounds in a weekend practice consider this. When I sit down to reload I am usually looking at 500 rounds at least. 500 x 2 minutes = 16 hours, versus 500 x 5 seconds 41 minutes. I think manually trimming brass would have taken the fun out of reloading for me. You can get by without a trimmer for a while, but eventually you will have problems if you keep reusing the same brass without trimming it. This is not a paid advertisement, but when I find something that works well, I like to let others know about it.

Have you considered the Little Crow WFT? I have processed thousands of .223 with consistent measured reliability. Although the product states lifetime; I have replaced product after trimming 4,000 brass. I am about to try the big boy WFT for 50 BMG; decided not to get Sinclair product.

edwillia

uber n00b
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
I looked at it, briefly, but I liked the idea of an all in one unit, where the motor is built into the unit. I also found that it had a smaller set of calibers whereas the Giraud supported perhaps 100 different calibers. The cost of a case holder for the Giraud is less than the cost of an additional unit from Little Crow WFT. They cost only $38 versus $75 for each LCWFT from Midway. You do not need to replace the product when the blade gets worn out, you just buy a new blade for $48. To each his own, but when I looked at what people thought of the Giraud I didn't find anyone that had something bad to say about it, except perhaps that it was expensive. It certainly seems like a good alternative if you are only loading a few types of rifle brass. In my case I have more like a dozen, which would put the price of this in the same category as my Giraud.

I think Little Crow is trying to replicate multiple caliber interchangeability with their new WFT2; specific caliber products are designed to be used with the standard housing (WFT2). Replacement cutters are an option too, for example, a new cutter for the big boy WFT is around $40.00.

Brider

CPAs do it by the numbers
Staff member
Forum Supporter
I bought a Giraud about 10 years ago and it has been a great addition to my set-up, but I think all in for two calibers is was less than $500 back then. It was a must when I was cranking out 556.

edwillia

uber n00b
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
The unit is under $500 with a second caliber its under $600, but that ignores shipping which they seem to gouge you on. With four additional case holders (besides the one you get with the unit) and four additional blades, it came to over $900. I was particularly annoyed that I paid about $100 for shipping even though it all came in one box.

I've been using the Lee auto trimmer (https://leeprecision.com/deluxe-power-quick-trim.htm) about 500 cases through it so far (223). It has been pretty consistent. can't argue with the price. when it starts to wear out throw it away and get another one. I hate trimming as well but, ya gotta do it if the case is too long. atm, I only load for target not any kind of precision however I've been happy with my groups.

Yes, but can you trim a case and chamfer in under 2-3 seconds?
Ima say yes. however, I found the occasional one slips by maybe 1/100th (altho would probably still fire without issue but, I don't risk it), so I make it a point to count to 6 before turning off the drill. no issues. So to answer your question not 3 but, 6 seconds. So 3 seconds and, still only 26 dollars.

Last edited: