• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

GHOST NET!

GatorJim

Squib Saver
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Are you participating tomorrow?

Golgo13

Member (9mm)
Forum Supporter
I will try, but definitely on saturday and upcoming check ins. I wasn't aware ALE was available for ham use. This is excellent news.

GatorJim

Squib Saver
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I am going to dig my HF rig out of the bunker and put things together again to participate shortly.

Many, many moons ago..... I was part of a group of Ham radio operators from the Alpha Rubicon who had a HF peer to peer network called the Backbone. It used HF rigs, laptops, SCS modems, P3, and Winlink2k to establish and maintain our own independent infrastructure. While the SCS system was originally developed for the blue water sailing guys, it turned out to do quite well over the continental U.S. as well. My station, in Arkansas, scanned 5 sets (primary and secondary) of HF. hopping freqs every few seconds 24/7 365. I got email from the West or East coast stations, and passed it along to the other coast as well as Canada, and a hop across the pond every now and then. Later on, after I got out, I heard the narcos had copied the system for stations South of the border.
It is great to see S2 building up a network. I can't imagine what advances there have been in radio since i put spark to my HF rig.