FTF/FTE Rem. 597 .22 Mag.

I bought this Remington Model 597 .22 Magnum, a semi-auto. At least once during a mag load, I will get a FTF or FTE. I was told that Remington had issued/selling updated magazines, in fact there were three different types, the newer ones supposed to solve the problem. I bought the newest version, but was still having problems. My son, in Army Eod/former paratrooper suggested I take the magazines apart, clean the insides and stretch the springs a little. That did not help either. a gunsmith suggested, I have the loading ramp polished. Have not tried that yet, but until that is done, anyone else experience this problem and arrive at a solution?

NYECOGunsmith

Obsessed Member
Staff member
Make sure it is clean, polish but do not alter angles and dimensions on the feed ramp, and replace the extractor with a Volquartsen Extractor.

Use clean magazines with undamaged feed lips, don't alter the spring in the magazine, that affects timing and can cause more jams than it fixes.
Spring rates should rarely be altered, the designed spring rate factors into the overall timing of the action's cycling, if the spring is weak, replace it, too strong, replace it but almost always with a stock spring rate either way.
If the spring rate needs to be altered, either made weaker or stronger, it's almost always because something else is wrong somewhere in the action. Things like binds, or wear, or burrs, or dirt, etc. so go through an action completely and put it back to factory specs or as close to it as possible before considering altering spring rates and pressures.

Here's the Volquartsen extractor, you can get it from Midway, fits the .22, .22 Mag and .17 caliber 597's.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1004754363/volquartsen-extractor-remington-597

NYECOGunsmith

Obsessed Member
Staff member
You're welcome, sorry it took me so long to get back to you, was too much to type on a kindle or phone, so had to wait until I was back at my pc.