• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Ever drive a Tesla?

DonTom

Well-known member (45 ACP)
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
I did a test ride in a Model 3 Performance Model just a few days ago, in Rocklin, CA. The only way I can describe it is ridiculous. When you accelerate hard, be careful with the back of your head that it cannot hit anything hard. No joke!

Such a car belongs on a racetrack, has no practical use that I can see. But they only had the performance model for me to test drive and I would not take that kind of power for free. I have no need for that!

I ordered a new Tesla Model 3, but not the performance package, but AWD (motor on both front and rear axles). I decided on Blue, after looking at the many cars on their lot for others to pick up. Red looks better on-line. Blue looks just as well in reality and is a thousand bucks less than red and blue is not a cop magnet as is red.

It costs $2,500.00 to place the order.

The demand for these is higher than the speed they can build them. This is why Tesla does not advertise anywhere. And that helps a little to keep the price down.

If there is a motor failure (unlikely) it will still run on the opposite motor.

If the car breaks down (unlikely) Tesla comes to you in a van to repair it. Around 85% of repairs can be done quickly on the side of the road. It's mostly electronics and a couple of motors.

310 mile range on a single charge. I hope to use this when the cold weather comes to go between my house in Auburn, CA and Reno NV, but it looks like it will be a three month wait. Mine cost just a little under 60K$. You can buy them cheaper with a few less options, as low as 49K$

This will still have a lot of power, just a little less ridiculous.

These cars are now very practical. We can drive them anywhere in the USA, Canada and Mexico and with 125 miles for every 15 minutes of Supercharge while on the road. Can also charge at home, but takes longer on 240 VAC, takes days with 120 VAC, but can still be done.

The superchargers are all near restaurants and the vehicle itself tells you where they are. If you plan a long route, it will tell you where to recharge.

I got hooked on electric vehicles with my two electric motorcycles. With the colder weather coming, I want my main car to also be electric.

Try one if you haven't already. We no longer have to be rich to buy a Tesla with the new Model 3. Sign up for a test drive here.

Go Electric!

-Don- Reno, NV

Gullwing

Former Padawan Apprentice Now Master
Staff member
Tesla because for a company to grow it needs the government supporting it...

125 miles is pushing it if you want to go from Vegas to Denver. Long stretch without any service let alone charging stations. But if peoples want to buy them fine, more petrol for me.
Then again if I were to get one, would need the most high performance model because that is what everyone would think it is.

DonTom

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Tesla because for a company to grow it needs the government supporting it...

125 miles is pushing it if you want to go from Vegas to Denver. Long stretch without any service let alone charging stations. But if peoples want to buy them fine, more petrol for me.
Then again if I were to get one, would need the most high performance model because that is what everyone would think it is.
125 miles should not be a problem in a vehicle with a range of 310 miles. But I realize it's difficult to say what the range is of an electric vehicle as too many things effect range--but sometimes the spec can be beat just as I have done on my electric motorcycles, but 125 miles is nothing for a Model 3 Tesla started from a full charge under perhaps any reasonable conditions. Unless you mean a round trip with no charging available. 250 miles perhaps would be pushing it. I like at least a 20% safety margin with electric vehicles and 310 - 20% is=248 miles, but still a round trip should be okay, if not driving crazy.

WRT performance, why do you care what people think it is?

-Don- Reno

Roach

Elon Musk and Tesla are always in the news and being talked about. While not traditional print/radio/TV it is still part of the overall ad strategy, i.e. advertising. Interesting cars, but for me part of the "driving experience" is the roar of a V8 at redline, the snap crackle pop of the exhaust on hard downshifts, and a good traction control systems that saves your ass more times then you can count.

It might be the future but I'm not embracing it. Have you ever watched a Formula E race? Lol, pure garbage.

Just an Average Joe

Forum Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
125 miles should not be a problem in a vehicle with a range of 310 miles. But I realize it's difficult to say what the range is of an electric vehicle as too many things effect range--but sometimes the spec can be beat just as I have done on my electric motorcycles, but 125 miles is nothing for a Model 3 Tesla started from a full charge under perhaps any reasonable conditions. Unless you mean a round trip with no charging available. 250 miles perhaps would be pushing it. I like at least a 20% safety margin with electric vehicles and 310 - 20% is=248 miles, but still a round trip should be okay, if not driving crazy.

WRT performance, why do you care what people think it is?

-Don- Reno

High heat negatively affects any batteries performance. Our heat is harder on regular car batteries than even living in the cold parts of the US. I would imagine the heat would also negatively impact the large and EXPENSIVE battery packs on all electric cars.

I would be nervous driving an electric vehicle across the Mohave.

Ricci

Active member (5.56mm)
Forum Supporter
Elon Musk and Tesla are always in the news and being talked about. While not traditional print/radio/TV it is still part of the overall ad strategy, i.e. advertising. Interesting cars, but for me part of the "driving experience" is the roar of a V8 at redline, the snap crackle pop of the exhaust on hard downshifts, and a good traction control systems that saves your ass more times then you can count.

It might be the future but I'm not embracing it. Have you ever watched a Formula E race? Lol, pure garbage.
Pretty much sums it up.
OP, I have not driven one, just have no interest at all in an electric vehicle; Tesla or otherwise.

Just an Average Joe

Forum Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber

This exactly.

A completely quiet motor takes a lot of the visceral joy out of the driving experience, IMO.

I guess I'm still just a kid who puts a playing card in his spokes with a clothes pin for the sound, lol.

jfrey123

I aim to misbehave...
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
“Such a car belongs on a racetrack, has no practical use that I can see.”

Same can be said for any modern muscle car. At least these Teslas can be detuned with a push of a button, and you sure aren’t getting that 310 mile range using the “Ludacris” sport mode as they call it.

Electric cars make a lot of sense for bumper to bumper city driving. If you don’t like electric, don’t buy it, but I see no reason to crap all over the company.

As for subsidies, I’d agree against them if Big.gov hadn’t done the bailouts of big auto. But if we’re going to keep big car makers from failing, then I see no reason not to help new car makers from entering. Why support government monopolies in the industry and then also advocate against government helping diversify the same industry?

stitch702

Recovering Gunaholic
Forum Supporter
Different strokes for different folks. I’m more of a v8 kind of guy just because I love performance and the sound, but I do see the practicality of owning an electric car, perhaps as a second vehicle if you could swing it. Teslas are nice, We had an opportunity to rent one for a week using the Turo App. They ride smooth and very quiet. We were driving around California from Nevada so charging stations were plentiful. I would get one as a second car if I could convince the wife. The only problem I have is their proprietary parts have to be installed by them, they frown upon buying used parts from salvages online and installing them yourself. It makes them that more expensive and I hear that if they find out, they can block your vehicle updates.

DonTom

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
High heat negatively affects any batteries performance. Our heat is harder on regular car batteries than even living in the cold parts of the US. I would imagine the heat would also negatively impact the large and EXPENSIVE battery packs on all electric cars.

I would be nervous driving an electric vehicle across the Mohave.
The batteries being warm INCREASES your range. However, it's not real good for the batteries when charging at high current and such. But the Teslas have a cooling system for the batteries, radiator and all. There is no reason to not have a Tesla in the heat.

But I know what you're talking about. My Zero motorcycle batteries are NOT cooled, except by riding. While I get longer range when hot outside, I cannot charge until the battery temp is low enough. If the battery gets too hot while riding, it will reduce the power, even shut off if needed. It will do it all it can to save the $11,500.00 worth of motorcycle batteries (2017 Zero SR with Power Tank). I would NOT want a Zero motorcycle in Las Vegas or Phoenix during the summer for this reason. But the battery cooling system in the Tesla should solve that problem.

-Don- Cold Springs Valley, NV

Last edited:

plodder

not so noob
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter

As for subsidies, I’d agree against them if Big.gov hadn’t done the bailouts of big auto. But if we’re going to keep big car makers from failing, then I see no reason not to help new car makers from entering. Why support government monopolies in the industry and then also advocate against government helping diversify the same industry?
I don't support government subsidized businesses whenever I have a choice. In fact, back in 2009 after THE GREAT ONE and congress bailed out GM and the UAW with my money I sold my Impala and immediately bought a BMW. It was the first time in my 37 years of car driving and owning up to that point that I did not own a GM product and only GM products. I'm not saying I will never, ever, again own a GM product but I am doing it so far.

Additionally, even though my company profits indirectly from the production of ethanol, I will go out of my way to not buy gasoline that has been contaminated with that inefficient, subsidized fuel adulterating substance.

If you were to conduct a detailed investigation of my habits I'm sure you could uncover some hypocrisy and conflicts, but I sleep pretty well at night with my position on discouraging subsidies and personal boycotts of businesses that actively work against my interests and civil rights (ie: Nike, Levis, Yeti, Dick's)

DonTom

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Pretty much sums it up.
OP, I have not driven one, just have no interest at all in an electric vehicle; Tesla or otherwise.
Same here, until I bought my first electric motorcycle and got hooked on the electric thing. I see nothing but advantages in going electric these days.

With my electric motorcycles (EM), I like how I can hear the cars that get too close to me. My EM uses a drive belt, but a chain conversion is available. But those have done such say the noise from the chain bothers them. It cannot be heard over the engine on an ICE (Internal Combustion Engine) vehicle, but such can sure be heard on an electric bike, loud and clear!

Motorcycles should be seen and NOT heard!

Have fun checking your engine oil, and going to your gas stations, doing tune ups, etc. I will charge when I get home.

Go electric!

DonTom

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
“Such a car belongs on a racetrack, has no practical use that I can see.”

Kind of like machine guns?
Yep! And I own no machine guns either.

But I have fired many, even 50 Cal machine guns. Also a full automatic 9MM pistol.

4x4Brit

Forum Supporter
2023 Supporter
That line of thinking doesn’t work for. Be it cars, guns, dogs.... the list goes on. Hold stupid people accountable. Simple concept really.

DonTom

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Different strokes for different folks. I’m more of a v8 kind of guy just because I love performance and the sound, but I do see the practicality of owning an electric car, perhaps as a second vehicle if you could swing it. Teslas are nice, We had an opportunity to rent one for a week using the Turo App. They ride smooth and very quiet. We were driving around California from Nevada so charging stations were plentiful. I would get one as a second car if I could convince the wife. The only problem I have is their proprietary parts have to be installed by them, they frown upon buying used parts from salvages online and installing them yourself. It makes them that more expensive and I hear that if they find out, they can block your vehicle updates.
I own many ICE vehicles, even an RV. But I feel I can get by with all electric these days for everything other than the RV and SOME motorcycle rides.

There is very little maintenance involved with a Tesla. Rotate the tires and change the battery coolant once in a while, perhaps every five years or so.

Tesla Charging stations are plentiful everywhere in the USA, Canada and Mexico and you can go anywhere in one. Many of the chargers are well hidden, but the car itself tells you where they are, so that is not much of an issue.

I can understand why Tesla doesn't want you to do some things yourself. A lot of it probably has to do with the firmware, expecting things from your own VIN, etc. and DIY'ers can cause problems the owners never even thought about.

Take my electric motorcycles for an example. If I change the electric motor myself, , the new motor could get destroyed in a few miles, even though it was the EXACT same part number. The reason is the "commissioning" will NOT match the new motor. IOW, the PWM (Pulse-Width-Modulation) from the motor controller must match the motors exact characteristic which changes in every new and used motor. How many owners understand this stuff? I have an advantage because I was in electronics all my life and I understand why some things these days require a dealer to have to special expensive equipment to replace a simple part.

It's a bit more complicated than batteries running a DC motor. I am not sure how the Tesla motors work, but my Zero Motorcycle controller uses three PWM signals each 120 degrees out of phase from each other to make the motor turn the full 360 degrees. And the controller has to match the motor exactly. When these bikes are built, every bike needs a different degree of commissioning from the controller to match the motor, yet everything is new and the exact same parts. IOW, it really is best to not work on electric vehicles yourself, unless you're 100% certain how the firmware and motor works and what is really required to make what sounds otherwise like a simple part change.

So I agree with Tesla's reasons.

DonTom

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
That line of thinking doesn’t work for. Be it cars, guns, dogs.... the list goes on. Hold stupid people accountable. Simple concept really.
Well, I do realize if I got rid of everything I do not need, there goes about 99% of what I own.

I certainly do not need my nine motorcycles, three houses & my many ICE vehicles, etc. So it comes to what I want, in reality. And I don't "want" the power of the performance model Tesla, as mine will have all the power I want and then some anyway. Test ride a performance model Tesla and perhaps you will see what I mean. I would think one could wear out the tires in ten miles with that type of ridiculous acceleration.