• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Elcan SpecterDR 1x/4x - any experienced opinions? (Updated 3/21/20)

Janizary

Geth Prime
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
Time wins again, and one of my ACOGs (a TA31) is dimming to the point that I'm looking at options for a new LPO. Yes, I know Trijicon can service the optic with new tritium (and a new reticle if you so choose) and I've been down that path before.

I'm looking at options, be they fixed or variable LPOs, and one of those is the Elcan SpecterDR 1x/4x. I like the option of having 1x and slightly higher magnification for 400-600, and the flip between the two powers on this optic has intrigued me.

If there are any with experience with this optic, particularly if you've had experience with ACOGs, the BROWE Combat Optic, or other LP(V)Os in a similar price range I'd love to hear your feedback. Reviews are great, but I like to hear from folks that have had their hands on the fiddly bits :)

Last edited:

LVTrenton

Living the dream
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
Commercial Sponsor
I've owned ACOGs and played with the ELCAN at SHOT - what kept me from the ELCAN was it's price point at the time, the large (ish) size of the unit and, most critically, that I found I had to take my eye out of the scope to increase the magnification. Someone is going to make a lever modification similar to a side charging upper and make a mint.

Janizary

Geth Prime
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
...what kept me from the ELCAN was it's price point at the time, the large (ish) size of the unit and, most critically, that I found I had to take my eye out of the scope to increase the magnification. ...
Thanks, LVTrenton.

I've read about the weight of Elcan, but it seems (at least on paper) to be comparable to LPVOs in the similar price range, particularly when a mount is added. I need to see if I can find one locally to see how the switch lever works. I'd definitely want to be able to do it eyes-off.

This would be used on a 12.5" SBR. Reticle BDC is not an issue as I'd be using Strelok as a starting place, then actual ranging to confirm the appx zero points. Worked well with the ACOG BDC so I figure it would be about the same effort to confirm. Once I know it I'm good to remember it.

I'm generally good doing quick mil-math in my head, so comfortable using mil reticles as well. I've been looking at the new Razor but its really way more magnification than I need, but I like the EBR9 Mil reticle.

Last edited:

Janizary

Geth Prime
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
Since the last post I've been calling around and gotten my grubby mitts on a few things to fondle, but still want to look at a few more.

Pawed at:

Trijicon Accupower 1-4 Mil Square (Red) SFP: I generally like Mil reticles but the purpose of this needs a faster reticle for my eye at closer distances.

Trijicon Accupower 1-4 Segmented Circle (Green) SFP: Overall okay, but reticle is not even close to daylight bright. Might need to see how the segmented circle works for 'quick' and close work. Friend has this so range time soon is a good bet.

Trijicon VCOG 1-6 - Segmented Circle Mil (Red) FFP: A bit portly, but I like the reticle in both 1x and 6x. Not quite what I'd call daylight bright for 1x work, but close. Again, owned by a friend so range time hands-on soon. I think I'd like to see how well the Horseshoe-Dot reticle version pops, but not likely to see one in person anytime soon.

Nightforce NX8 1-8 FFP: I was really torn on this. Reticle works for me. Daylight bright and pops at 1x. Eyebox was okay, but not as great as I thought it would be. Not mounted when looked at but was able to take outside on bright day.

Wolf PSU 1x/4x: Friend of a friend thing. Came up in conversation and 'Oh, a guy I work with has one of those'. Nice enough to let me handle it on his next range day. Very similar concept to the Elcan 1x/4x in function. A bit bigger on paper. Liked the flip, but it has definite PoI shift when flipping between 1x and 4x. He has it sighted on the 4x and when using 1x for shorter work it is not noticeable and works just fine, but putting it on paper at 100Y at 1x shows about a 4" shift compared to 4x. Mounting hardware felt cheap.

Vortex Razor Gen2-E: Didn't like the reticle for close work.

PA 1-6 Raptor FFP: Had some range time with it on a friend's rifle. Like the reticle for close work, but I must be in that terrible small percentage that really does not like the ACSS reticle for longer distance. Stop throwing things, damn you :)

Things I'd like to look at:

Elcan Specter 1x/4x: Still on the radar. Know its about the weight of the VCOG. Seems to be hit or miss on those than encounter PoI shift when switching between 1x/4x.

Trijicon Accupower 1-8: Fat bastard (heavier than VCOG w/o a mount), but I wouldn't mind seeing it and whether the red reticle is daylight bright. Apparently the green is not.

My budget does not allow for the higher end (or even scratching the bottom). I like the Nightforce ATACR 1-8, a lot, but its outside of my budget. I've a friend with one and before handling the above over the last few weeks I'd have said too big, too heavy, too much magnification, but now my thoughts have changed.

Janizary

Geth Prime
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
After grubbing about a bit and fondling a few more things, I finally settled on a Trijicon VCOG (1-6 version) w/ Mil reticle (Red). Came in earlier this week and got it out to the desert (because BRPC was/is closed.....rrrr....).

Pulled off the stock TA51 mount and put on a TA98 QD mount (same as BoBro single-latch model). Had to swap out the irons I've been using on the rifle forever (YHM Q.D.S.) with a set of Troy BUIS as the YHM's 90-degree flipping aperture was touching the bottom of the scope.

• It (the scope) is definitely portly, but right about the same weight as a Aimpoint ML3 and Magnifier
  • At 1x, with the reticle set at highest illumination, it was reasonably usable like an RDS (better than I thought it would be)
  • At 6x the center 'cross' is a bit large for precision shooting, but that is not the purpose of the rifle
  • Quite happy with the performance with Hornady 75gr BTHP and even junky Armscor bulk (but I already knew the rifle can outshoot me)
  • Eye relief is excellent (subjectively, or course)

Pic, post range (12.5 SBR/SiCo Chimera):

VCOG2_BLK_sml (2).jpg

Reticle (for reference):
VCOG reticle.jpg

Last edited:

Janizary

Geth Prime
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
Butler Creek A03 front cap fits with a bit of trimming to clear the battery compartment. :) I suppose I will break down and get the Tenebraex caps at some point. Just wanted to keep dust off the front lens.