• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Chronograph Recommendations

lawsandguns

uber Member
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
I bit the bullet and purchased some reloading gear to try to develop a load my 6.5 Creedmoor loves. I want to get a good chronograph. My shooting buddy has the MagnetoSpeed V3, which I have used and like. My only hesitation with buying it is that I have read it can have an impact on your point of impact. I looked at the Labradar, but they are a bit spendy. I’m not ruling them out, but wanted to get your input. I prefer shooting from a prone position, if that is important/helpful.

I've owned optical (light sensing) chronos and, magnetic (like the Magnetospeed) chronos over the years (actually DECADES!) but am now a very firm believer in the LabRadar for many reasons: (1) No need to wait for a "cold" range to get out in front of the line to set the thing set up or torn down and that is a BIG factor if you shoot at a shared or public range; (2) EASY and quick to set up; (3) doesn't attach to the barrel and causes no impact changes even with a little skinny "pencil" barrel; (4) Can be used with your phone or other device to control/monitor it; (5) Can be used with an external battery that will last longer than you can stand to be out shooting; (5) You can take the SD card out and read results or manipulate results on your computer at home and if you want to print the results, you can (if you use the snipping tool, you can print only the part you want really easily); (6) I once had an issue (muzzle blast from a brake on a big banger shook something loose inside the unit) with mine and had to send it back to the Labradar folks in Wisconsin and, including shipping both ways and repair time, it took WAAYY less than two weeks.

If you buy/use a "shock sensor" that attaches to the gun with velcro (several versions are available on the aftermarket) it makes the labradar not at all sensitive to placement in relationship to the muzzle and it works GREAT every time...activating the unit by sensing the shock and NOT using the microphones to do that.......only thing you need to think about is having the unit pointed at the target, so it can "see" and track the projectile.

Yeah, it may be more expensive than other chrono setups, but as they say...buy once, CRY once.......you will have a chrono that you LOVE! The learning curve was a tad steep for me, but i did get it and it is really easy to use for me now...and I am a TECH DINOSAUR!

Last edited:

nlvmike

Just one more
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
I picked up a Chrony Beta a few years ago, as budget dictated. I would NOT recommend it. The interface is straight out of the 1980's, and it reads at best 3 out of 4 shots. Sometimes much worse.

I picked up a Chrony Beta a few years ago, as budget dictated. I would NOT recommend it. The interface is straight out of the 1980's, and it reads at best 3 out of 4 shots. Sometimes much worse.
I saw your response on here asking about aiming the unit and was going to repond, but I can't see or find your last post on here now....don't know what's going on, so I'll re-post again:

I have no problem using the aiming slot on the top of the unit, but if I do ever wonder if I have it aimed right, I use one of the "OFFICIAL AIMING DEVICES" (kinda, maybe tongue in cheek there,---!) I carry in the side pocket and lay that in the aiming groove to look through. See the pic. If you just hafta go LOWBUCK, you can use a chunk of a straw like the red one lying in the background in the pic. Either way you use it the same way. (Don't be giving away my secrets, but the BERGER pen I got that part/barrel off of was free, too!) :LOL:

BTW, the cord looking thing hanging on top of the unit in the picture is the shock sensor device I bought with which to activate the unit rather than have the unit "listening" for a shot to activate it.

IMG_0989 (Medium).JPG

Last edited:

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
I’m a LabRadar guy also and agree with everything above. I also have one of the shock sensors and it works perfect not only on my 6.5CM but also my 22lr. I’ve had a Chrony before this and hardly ever used it because it was a PITA.

lawsandguns

uber Member
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
Thanks. I think I private messaged you about aiming it.

I ordered a Labradar today. I hope it is great. Do I need the shock sensor?

Didn't see a PM from you so I PM'd you just now....And, no..you do not NEED the sensor, but having one makes it all easier AND it will spoil you! The internal microphones will work OK to set the unit's radar off in order to track the projectile if you follow all the instructions in the manual, but a sensor just seems waaay easier and more "positive" to me! If you Do want one, look around to find a decent price...I just hit the first one I saw and apparently it was the most expensive one out there! One thing to be cautious about if you do get a shock sensor is that you CAN set it off by just being a little rough with the bolt...if that happens, you will get a message that says something like "could not track projectile". if that happens or if it does try and records a "0" fps, all you have to do is delete that one from the data for that string and just go on ahead shooting as usual.

Last edited:

Janizary

Geth Prime
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
Searching for the shock sensor, not getting much in the way of hits. Do either of you have some links?

Last edited:
Something to know about sky screens and the chronographs that use them - those screens are framing a specific band of light through which they "see"

When that band is broken in the 'start screen' , a timer starts. When the second band of light is broken the timer stops.

The processor calculates the speed by way of the amount of time spent crossing the distance between the screens.

The processor knows to start and stop because the screens give a signal to the processor.

On my Chronograph, Pact Professional, the signal is the change of a resistance value.
I can clip a multimeter to the plug of either screen and measure the resistance at the contacts of the plug, and while passing an obstruction across the width of the sky screens opening I can see exactly where inside the screen the band of light passes -- the resistance value will change.
It's not the whole width of the screen.

Knowing this I can expect to know where to put a bullet and expect the chronograph to give me a velocity reading.

Consider this if/when you ever need to troubleshoot your chronograph.

Last edited:

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Thanks. I think I private messaged you about aiming it.

I ordered a Labradar today. I hope it is great. Do I need the shock sensor?
You don’t need one for centerfire but it’s a nice feature. With 22lr it’s a must. One of the local precision rifle competitors builds them and was the 1st guy that designed these. He’s on this board from time to time as well.

Janizary

Geth Prime
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter