• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Chevy vs Ram

zimzim

Well-known member (45 ACP)
Looking to get my first truck finally! After a lifetime of imports only, it will be my first American vehicle.

Looking at the Silverado 1500 6.2L or the Ram 1500 V8.

Thoughts from longtime owners ?

SixshooterSam

Oh boy.. I can only imagine how this thread will turn out..

Having said that, what vintage are we talking about? Regardless, I'd choose an LS-engined Chevrolet/GMC over a Dodge any day.

zimzim

Oh boy.. I can only imagine how this thread will turn out..

Having said that, what vintage are we talking about? Regardless, I'd choose an LS-engined Chevrolet/GMC over a Dodge any day.
Modern day production 2020 models. Not quite ready to dip into classics

SixshooterSam

Modern day production 2020 models. Not quite ready to dip into classics
I wasn't thinking classic so much as the last 21 years of LS-engined trucks, which have all been quite good overall. No truck is without its share of issues, regardless of brand. I've known too many people with excessive problems with Dodge trucks in recent years though. I personally wouldn't own one.

Brider

CPAs do it by the numbers
Staff member
Forum Supporter
I’m in the same boat looking for my first truck other than a beater Ranger. I’ll mention that demand is high and inventory is low. F-150s are like gold and prices reflect that (realized you didn’t ask about Ford but just tossing it in).

I over research things and some people say the Silverados are outdated and Ram jumped past them with their new updates. Others say that Ram is a Fait and the QC is poor. I looked at a Warlock and a Ram Sport and was ready to snag either one but then paused and the rebates expired. I liked the Silverado but the Ram won me over.

I‘m not hardcore Chevy/Ford or Ram just looking for a sold vehicle that will last me 100K miles and can tow ~10K and it seems they all have their pluses and minuses.

The Ram Rebel is nice but 50K is not cheap.

YMMV

lawsandguns

Active member (5.56mm)
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I have a 2019 GMC Sierra AT4 with the 6.2 liter engine and I’ve been very pleased with it. I have had only minor warranty issues with it. I took it to Desert GMC and Findlay Chevrolet and wasn’t overly impressed with their service. I did look at the Ram before I bought and was impressed with the interior, but just couldn’t do it. I had a bad experience with a Dodge vehicle in the past and still associate Ram with Dodge.

zimzim

I have a 2019 GMC Sierra AT4 with the 6.2 liter engine and I’ve been very pleased with it. I have had only minor warranty issues with it. I took it to Desert GMC and Findlay Chevrolet and wasn’t overly impressed with their service. I did look at the Ram before I bought and was impressed with the interior, but just couldn’t do it. I had a bad experience with a Dodge vehicle in the past and still associate Ram with Dodge.
How’s that 6.2L do off road with all the toque?

lawsandguns

Active member (5.56mm)
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
How’s that 6.2L do off road with all the toque?
So far, it has been a great engine. I haven’t run it very hard off road because I’m still trying to pay it off. ? for me, it has done just fine on the dirt roads and trails I’ve been on, but I certainly haven’t tested it’s limits. Plenty of power and I like all the gadgets on mine (multiple cameras, cool video rear view mirror, Cooled seats, etc.).

doz

Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2021 RAM TRX

Why? Why not.

flashpan

Lurking Member
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
So my FIL is a GMC guy and BIL is a Ram guy. (I like to drive fords to their place for fun)
Both have 3/4's and both diesel 2014 ram 201? GMC.
I've driven, hauled and ridden in both. Personally, I think the GMC is a better ride, more comfortable and easier city handling.
For towing/hauling the Ram gets the nod.
Both have had warranty issues. Nothing major. And both vehicles are 200k+.

Ultimately it's a personal decision. Gotta think about what you plan on doing with the truck?

MAC702

I don't believe in the no-win scenario
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
I've been driving Fords and Rams my whole life, starting with an 89 Ram W-150.

If I didn't already want the Cummins diesel engine, I'd be driving a Ford. My 95 Ford F-250 with the 460 V8 was one of my favorite trucks. But I've been doing the diesel thing ever since and Cummins was the only way to fly back then. I put 350,000 miles on my 96 diesel Ram, and then gave it to a friend who still uses it. For the reliable daily driver that I need, everything BUT the engine just got to be a pain to deal with.

That said, this new 6.7L Cummins is so computer-controlled, I don't think it makes much difference anymore whether it's a proper I6 Cummins or a stupid V8 like everyone else has. I'm now 3 years into it with 120,000 miles.

SixshooterSam

My only real experience with modern trucks is the 2017 GMC Denali HD Duramax that I haul trailers with. It pulls loaded car trailers like they're not even there. I will say, it takes a couple seconds for the turbo to spool up and for that torque to kick in, but once it does it's fine. It rides extremely well for a full size 3/4 ton truck with big towing capacity, it handles and brakes well, is incredibly smooth and quiet for a large diesel truck.. great truck all around. I absolutely think the Cummins is a better engine, but I think the current Duramax is a good engine as well. I know you're not looking for that kind of truck, but just thought I'd share that tidbit of experience anyway.

Driller319

Member (9mm)
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
i have had a Ram 1500 since it was new in 2012. Currently at 135k miles. I had one warranty issue at about 35k but Ram took care of it and provided me with a vehicle. it has been a great truck and still is. That being said, i think i am going to get a new one this year and I think i will go with the GMC Sierra 1500 with the Duramax. Not 100% yet but seems to be the way i am leaning. I hate buying new vehicles.

usmcnye

Aim Small Miss Small
Your budget is a big factor. If you go for an upgraded version of a half-ton pickup truck with many of the bells and whistles, for maybe the same money, you probably could get a cheaper version of a one-ton diesel. I went from a Tundra 5.7L 4WD to a Ram 3500 6.7L I6 Cummins 4WD. The ride when not towing is a little stiffer; the MPG on highway (towing and not towing) is significantly better, as is the towing performance. I bought a new truck that was from the previous year; spent not too much more than I did on the Tundra. If I had purchased a RAM Tradesman model, the price would have been very close. I would suspect similar prices for Chevy/GMC for their cheaper versions too.

zimzim

Don’t really need a diesel, not looking to tow heavy loads. At most an ATV & dirt bike. The 1500 series of either Chevy or Ram would be more than enough for me.

Want the bells and whistles of some of the higher trim levels for the 1500s. Budget is around 50k-55k.

Jayc71

Member (9mm)
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 RAM TRX

Why? Why not.
That and/or the Tesla Truck will be my next one.

Currently have a RAM 1500 Rebel so I'm definitely biased, but I really like the truck and I've never gotten it into anything it can't easily handle.