Chamfer and deburr cases before reloading

kkf

uber n00b
Just started reloading .223 and my dies have been leaving grooves along the case necks, all the way around the neck from mouth to shoulder. Called Hornady and they told me it was probably because I dont chamfer and deburr the cases before resizing. They were gracious enough to send me a new die without having to return the old one as this can also be caused by them not polishing the die enough.

My question is, do I need to chamfer and deburr the cases before resizing?

Also should I be putting lube on the outside of the case necks? Using RCBS case lube and thought it said only to brush the insides of the neck.

Unless you're trimming you should not have to touch the outside of the case. I chamfer inside my cases AFTER resizing(or after trim). Never had any marks on the necks. Maybe too much lube?? Any marks on the shoulder?? Also some very fine steel wool will clean up the inside of the die if that's your problem.

BW

Concur, chamfer inside and outside of case neck, only if brass was trimmed. Only trim brass after sizing. If one wants to keep their sizing die in pristine condition; recommend cleaning brass before sizing. Indications of excessive case lube appear as dents / bubbles. Sometimes, periodic maintenance of sizing die is needed; take apart and clean die body and stem. One might consider using a case length headspace gauge (I use both Wilson and Lyman brands), especially if you are using unknown once fired brass. This gauge, helps one determine, optimal sizing die setting for your press.

Last edited:

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
Good info. I loaded my first 10 necked cartridges the other day.
Tumbled
Deprimed
Lubed
Sized
Trimmed, deburred and chamfered.

At this point I just wiped the lube off and went through loading process.

A real pain in the 🐎

kkf

uber n00b
My process for all my other bottle neck brass has always been:

Tumble in corn cob
Lube inside neck with brush in rcbs lube kit
Roll brass on lub pad only getting lube on case body
Deprime / resize
Trim to length
Chamfer/ deburr
Throw cases in ultrasonic with water and dawn soap.
Dry
Prime
Powder
Seat
Crimp 30-30 cases
Done

The 223 die in question is 2 months old and has run around 300 cases thru it. Went and looked at some of the 1st 100 and there are no grooves in neck. So it does look like brass build up in the die is the cause.

I'll try polishing the dies and see if that helps.

kkf

uber n00b
My process for all my other bottle neck brass has always been:

Tumble in corn cob
Lube inside neck with brush in rcbs lube kit
Roll brass on lub pad only getting lube on case body
Deprime / resize
Trim to length
Chamfer/ deburr
Throw cases in ultrasonic with water and dawn soap.
Dry
Prime
Powder
Seat
Crimp 30-30 cases
Done

The 223 die in question is 2 months old and has run around 300 cases thru it. Went and looked at some of the 1st 100 and there are no grooves in neck. So it does look like brass build up in the die is the cause.

I'll try polishing the dies and see if that helps.
Turns out I didn't examine the 1st batch of cases good enough. They have groves too. Looks like a bad die, couldnt polish it up any to help.

I use Lee Full Length Sizing dies for .223; they are very inexpensive and excellent quality. If you ever notice any wear, cheap enough to just replace die. The Lee sizing dies utilize a friction style EXP/DECAPPER stem that is designed to push up when a problem (berdan primer or misaligned primer hole) occurs rather than break the decapper pin like other brands. You can find Really Good Buy (RGB) sets at many retailers; this is probably the cheapest method to get a sizing die. You can also order an individual sizing die or any of the individual parts at Titan Reloading.com.

akholic

uber n00b
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Turns out I didn't examine the 1st batch of cases good enough. They have groves too. Looks like a bad die, couldnt polish it up any to help.
i had a buildup in my lee 223 die that was leaving scratches. i used flitz polish with a bore mop that fits tight i cant remember what size it was i will have to look chuck in the cordless drill go for 10 seconds at a time .I spray gunscubber then wash in hot water and dry

Factories do not chamfer. The reloader should. You only need to do it ONCE, unless you NEED to trim the case.
IF you do chamfer inside and out, you can frequently just expand the case after resizing and NOT have to flare the case mouth when loading jacketed bullets. A good reason to use real jacketed bullets from Precision Delta rather than plated, usually for the same or less cost when purchased in bulk.