• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Car insurance keeps going up

glennc

American Patriot
So is mine. But after so many vehicles (I am way over the limit, owning 15 motor vehicles- 8 are motorcycles) USAA will force you to go with Progressive on more than so many vehicles (I forgot the number, but I am way over it).

-Don- Reno, NV
I also use USAA for my cars, but were told they don't insure motorcycles, so I have Geico on my Harley. I guess I too will see a rate increase...bummer.

DonTom

Well-known member (45 ACP)
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
I also use USAA for my cars, but were told they don't insure motorcycles, so I have Geico on my Harley. I guess I too will see a rate increase...bummer.
It looks like you're right. I just noticed 8 of my nine bikes are with Progressive. The other (electric motorcycle for Auburn) is insured in CA by Drive Insurance, which I think also has something to do with Progressive.

I think what I was confused with is that Progressive will only put four motorcycles on one policy and that was the limit I was over, so I have two policy numbers for the eight NV bikes.

But they will list all four bikes on one insurance ID card, so I only need two insurance ID cards for the eight bikes. Perhaps that's the reason, only room to list the four on one insurance ID card.

-Don- Reno

Wolfn8tr

Forum Supporter
Holy crap that's almost $500 a year!!!

I had to look it up. Mine went from $395/6 months in June to $453/6 months in Dec for our 2011s with full coverage 100/300 coverage. That's nearly a 15% increase!
I will be shopping around. We have no tickets or accidents and our vehicles are a year older now. :wtf?:

jfrey123

I aim to misbehave...
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I will be shopping around. We have no tickets or accidents and our vehicles are a year older now. :wtf?:

Age of a vehicle works for and against you: Yeah, sure, it seems like cost less to replace your vehicle, but it also lowers the threshold where they actually total your vehicle vs repairing it. Totaling a vehicle is based on a percentage of cash value (changes from company to company, but let's pretend it's 80% for sake of discussion). Your car is worth $10k, means you have to do $8k worth of damage before they total it out and send you a $10k check. If it drops to $9k value, you only need $7,200 in damage to trigger them totaling it out and sending a full value check.

Plus, older cars become more likely to get into a claim through sheer ownership data. They rate cars as groups, so if everyone else who owns your make and model end up getting into wrecks, it ends up looking like those cars are higher risk. Kind of like the turbo charged Dodge SRT4 Neons that 20 year old kids kept speeding and wrecking in. High number of tickets and accidents associated with those vehicles drove them up as an entire class. Your history alone doesn't dictate insurance pricing, unfortunately.

sbubrick

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
I have been with AAA for over 35 years. I switched to the Hartford about 10 years ago, that saved me about $125.00 for six months then they raised the rates to get the $125.00 back plus. I switched back to AAA. I have had many agencies try to beat then but no one has yet. also AAA is a annual policy

DonTom

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
I have been with AAA for over 35 years. I switched to the Hartford about 10 years ago, that saved me about $125.00 for six months then they raised the rates to get the $125.00 back plus. I switched back to AAA. I have had many agencies try to beat then but no one has yet. also AAA is a annual policy
It seems to me that insurance companies play a game where they will have the lowest rates for a while and later the highest, meaning if we don't keep on shopping for insurance every few years, we get screwed.

-Don- Reno

Age of a vehicle works for and against you: Yeah, sure, it seems like cost less to replace your vehicle, but it also lowers the threshold where they actually total your vehicle vs repairing it. Totaling a vehicle is based on a percentage of cash value (changes from company to company, but let's pretend it's 80% for sake of discussion). Your car is worth $10k, means you have to do $8k worth of damage before they total it out and send you a $10k check. If it drops to $9k value, you only need $7,200 in damage to trigger them totaling it out and sending a full value check.
The law in nevada is 65% of the actual cash value, not including paint and paterials. As well as statutory total losses being roll overs and any part of the floor that the seat belts mount to that needs to be replaced. The one thing people don't usually think about is salvage value. Vehicles with higher salvage values total easier. For example, let's say your vehicle has a $10,000 actual cash value (acv) and the estimate for repairs is $5000. The total loss breakeven threshold would be $6500, Which at that point the vehicle would be a fixer. Now the salvage value lowers the breakeven point. So if your vehicle has a 1500 salvage value your vehicle now will be a total.

Plus, older cars become more likely to get into a claim through sheer ownership data. They rate cars as groups, so if everyone else who owns your make and model end up getting into wrecks, it ends up looking like those cars are higher risk. Kind of like the turbo charged Dodge SRT4 Neons that 20 year old kids kept speeding and wrecking in. High number of tickets and accidents associated with those vehicles drove them up as an entire class. Your history alone doesn't dictate insurance pricing, unfortunately.
Yes absolutely, just like anyone that own a subaru. You can thank all the people that own wrx's and sti's that constanly think they are invincible in the snow and rain. Or just like anyone with a 1999-2008 ford super duty becuase that are extremely easy to break into and steal.

It seems to me that insurance companies play a game where they will have the lowest rates for a while and later the highest, meaning if we don't keep on shopping for insurance every few years, we get screwed.

-Don- Reno
Generally the longer you are with one particular conpany without having claims and nothing changes on your policy, the lower your rate will be.

If anyone has progressive I would highly suggest the snapshot program. It's a device that plugs into your OBDII port and you drive around with it plugged in for a month or so. It will monitor your driving and if you a good driver it can lower your rate pretty significantly. I suggested it to my freind and it lowered his rates about 25%

Keep in mind that car insurance is like everything else. You get what you pay for. I wouldnt want the cheapest insurnace company out there, just like I would not be carrying the cheapest gun I could find and just like I don't buy the cheapest car parts I can find.

Epic Milk

Member (9mm)
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Progressive is half the price of any other company in the city for me and it keeps creeping up. You'd think it would go down, having never had a claim. Every 6 months they say I have a greater loyalty discount and it's still around $8/month more each time I renew. Unfortunately it's the best option for now.

RFSALES

Member (9mm)
Our car insurance had been with Civil Service Employee insurance. We started September 2015 paying $120 a month for full coverage over the minimum requirement for 2015 Colorado and 2016 Chevy Traverse. Same for 2016 and 2017. Renewal in October 2018 $225 a month and we had been on a low mileage for each vehicle, if we drove less than 10,000 a year additional discount. CCE took that away and even though they can access smog records to see we not over the mileage limit chose not to. No accidents and no moving violations.
Agent stated that CCE only raises about ever 5 years and catches up all at once and CCE advised average raise 23% ?
Agent found us a different company with an increase over the $120 but not near as bad as CCE.

RK1911

Active member (5.56mm)
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Five cars plus a motorcycle. Three under 25 drivers (23, 20 and 17). One chargeable accident.

2017 Silverado 1500
2015 Subaru Outback
2015 VW Jetta GLI
2005 Toyota 4Runner Sport
1993 Honda Civic LX
1994 BMW R1150GSA

Total: $316 per month for all full max coverage on the three newer ones and liability on the 4Runner and Civic.

Company: Allstate

If you need a referral, PM me (no gain for me).

garand_guy

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
Want lower insurance? Stop feeding the personal injury attorneys. Nevada and Clark County in particular are notoriously plaintiff-friendly venues. Judges get donations from the PI attorneys and get favorable rulings in return. It's essentially legalized fraud here. If it were up to me, I'd eliminate the ability to get pain and suffering except for death or dismemberment.

turborich

Clark County (Las Vegas area) is extremely high on auto insurance. My insurance was cut by half when I moved out of Vegas for the same vehicles and coverage. You just have to pay the high rates to live there. A lot of wrecks, uninsured drivers, stolen vehicles, fraud, etc.

turborich

Five cars plus a motorcycle. Three under 25 drivers (23, 20 and 17). One chargeable accident.

2017 Silverado 1500
2015 Subaru Outback
2015 VW Jetta GLI
2005 Toyota 4Runner Sport
1993 Honda Civic LX
1994 BMW R1150GSA

Total: $316 per month for all full max coverage on the three newer ones and liability on the 4Runner and Civic.

Company: Allstate

If you need a referral, PM me (no gain for me).
Allstate is the absolute worst company I've even been insured with. The Indian call centers are terrible!

jfrey123

I aim to misbehave...
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Allstate is the absolute worst company I've even been insured with. The Indian call centers are terrible!
If it makes you feel any better, they make the agents and producers go through the same call centers for underwriting and claims and most all basic functions.

Harley

BANNED FOR LIFE+10 Because he dared me to do it!
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
It doesnt matter who it is, all insurance companies suck. Unfortunately we are forced to have it in this lovely state or have our DL/plates suspended. Welcome to “free” America!