• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

BRASS CATCHER ON AMAZON

terdog

uber Member
Because I have been shootin my AR pistols ALOT lately, I looked into getting a brass catcher. Tired of pickin up all that brass. :unsure: ESPECIALLY when I shoot my ECHO with the binary trigger. I can run through quite a bit.
Looked at quite a few and found some on Amazon. Seemed like 1 problem was getting extra mounts at a reasonable price, as I have 4 AR's and want to use the same bag for all to minimize my cost.
Got this 1 as there was an option to get 2 mounts with the bag.

BRASS CATCHER AMAZON.jpg

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
Commercial Sponsor
I read several of the reviews. Not bad. And at least one even specifically mentioned my concern about hot brass melting it. They tout a sturdier mount, but it also looks like it won't fit under optics.

Since these are tools for bad guys to not leave evidence, they should be just as illegal as silencers, however.

terdog

uber Member
As usual with Amazon, I had it in short order.

1 problem that some have is brass bouncing off the inside of the bag and coming back into the bolt, causing a jam. I found that this model had a slide mount so that the bag could be adjustable independent of where you mount the boss on your rail. After a mag or 2, I had it adjusted nicely and had no more jams. The key seems to be to have it adjusted to the rear as much as possible so that the brass bounces and loses momentum and doesn't come back into the bolt.

ECHO 011.jpg

ECHO 012.jpg

ECHO 013.jpg

terdog

uber Member
I have not yet tried it with my 5.56 or 308, just my 9mm & 10mm. Absolutely no burning up to this point.

Yesterday the wife and I went out into the mtns explorin, and we took our toys. It turned to rain as we were shootin and I was glad to not have to pick up the brass in the mud/slush.
At this point I'm very much onboard with this product.

The true test my be when I get my Franklin Armory PDW 5.56

franklin armory4.jpg

Janizary

Geth Prime
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
I have that exact brass catcher.

I don't use it very often, usually only when I'm somewhere where the brass would be a bit harder to find (like Sloan garbage heap), or if I'm at the bench and don't feel like setting up my bigger butterfly net catcher.

It works far better than the original Caldwell unit. That unit definitely had melting issues with the net. No issues at all with the chinese knock off so far. There are a couple of tiny little screws that hold the two parts of the slide bracket together. Those have a tendency to back out over time. A bit of VC3 takes care of that problem.

With that little slider it has been made to work across several different firearms with pic rails, even a couple of bolt guns.

Janizary

Geth Prime
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
Do you suppose that guy wondered why his sight never worked? Or if he ever even looked through it?

Pffft....this guy has it right:

And he has Railz covered on his scope. That makes him extra tactical. :)

Janizary

Geth Prime
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't work, other than if you have a dial indicator for L-R, which would then be backwards. Practically, you might be losing a small amount of sight radius, compared to mounting it rearward-folding. Non-locking units would have a tendency to 'flap' forward under recoil. That might cause some problem over time.

I read some things on peep sight concavity and glare, but I'll leave that to someone with more expertise than I have.

Conversely there was some threading a bit back about operational operators operating operationally mounting their front backup sight 'backwards'.