Bird hunting

Fogie

Swimming Pool Monkey
Forum Supporter
Pheasant?..Not around here. There used to be some pay to hunt farms out by Mesquite, but raised and planted birds..Not really hunting.
Quail and Chukar have really suffered during this drought and I haven't been after them. It's easy to put a hurt on a population when they are already suffering.
Anyway...Get a guzzler / water project map from NDOW.
A screaming jackrabbit varmint call double-duties a great chukar call.
Get a quail call. Wandering around can find birds, but calling really works to zero them. I usually whistle quail up.
The desert is big and I like high base 6 shot..
You will see quail running in packs, swipe em' on the ground ..You have to bust em' up to get them to stay put for flushing. I have no reservation about shooting them on the ground. Ours are not bobwhites sitting there. Running is their number one defense, so....
To get them to flush you have to stomp them out of cover, typically.
:unsure:

Pheasant?..Not around here. There used to be some pay to hunt farms out by Mesquite, but raised and planted birds..Not really hunting.
Quail and Chukar have really suffered during this drought and I haven't been after them. It's easy to put a hurt on a population when they are already suffering.
Anyway...Get a guzzler / water project map from NDOW.
A screaming jackrabbit varmint call double-duties a great chukar call.
Get a quail call. Wandering around can find birds, but calling really works to zero them. I usually whistle quail up.
The desert is big and I like high base 6 shot..
You will see quail running in packs, swipe em' on the ground ..You have to bust em' up to get them to stay put for flushing. I have no reservation about shooting them on the ground. Ours are not bobwhites sitting there. Running is their number one defense, so....
To get them to flush you have to stomp them out of cover, typically.
:unsure:
A chukar call also makes a good chukar call. Instead of all the other nonsense, get a dog. If a dog is not in the cards, just start somewhere and put in the leg work and in 5-10 years, you will have it pretty well figured out. I'll take you anytime if you are ever in Northern Nevada.