• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Best local shop to get armor plates?

inhiliator5000

Avtomat Kalashnikov
Hey everyone, where is the best place to pick up some plates?
im looking to get into the body armor game and wanted to hear about your experiences.

I know right now may not be the best time, but im hopeful - otherwise i can order online.

I’d much rather give my business to a local spot though

Hey everyone, where is the best place to pick up some plates?
im looking to get into the body armor game and wanted to hear about your experiences.

I know right now may not be the best time, but im hopeful - otherwise i can order online.

I’d much rather give my business to a local spot though
Not too sure about their in store stock but Botach Tactical sells level 1-4 plates at a decent price. Unfortunately because of corona virus and the recent riots and protests they're only allowing LEO's and military personnel to come in the store to purchase or pickup products. So you may have to order online. If you go the online route I highly recommend the deals they have on Spartan Armory. Their lead time is trash right now but they've got the best prices on plate carriers and plates that I've come across.

Safe life defense is on the pricier side, but they're local, and right next door to Ventura munitions.

I just ordered another set from LA Police gear, delivered in a week.

Botach might allow local pickup, call them and find out. I tried to order from them twice during the lockdown, and got refunded both times.

Safe life defense is on the pricier side, but they're local, and right next door to Ventura munitions.

I just ordered another set from LA Police gear, delivered in a week.

Botach might allow local pickup, call them and find out. I tried to order from them twice during the lockdown, and got refunded both times.
Dang that's crazy but I believe it. Not too impressed with Botach's customer service. Called them a number of times over the course of 3 days and never got an answer. Finally had to drive all the way out there just to find that they weren't allowing anyone in the store with the exception of pickups, military or LEO's. Thanks for the wasted fuel.

Spartan Armory has a lot of different package deals that come not only with front/back plates but side plates and a great vest for around $300. I never knew about about Safelife Defense. All the times I've been to Ventura and never connected the dot to see they were next door. That 1 week delivery from LA police gear is amazing! I'll have to check them both out.

I've hired armed security for work. Most of those guys I've had a chance to talk to rave about Safelife defense. But those guys are buying concealed soft armor.

Then again, concealed soft armor is nice to have as well. It offers more coverage, and can be fairly discreet if dressed around it.

I had to work near the protest areas, and wore my set of 3a armor underneath my clothes for that week or so. My set is long expired, purchased in 2009. But I only wore it a couple days a month back in NYC, as I had handle cash monthly.

Kinoons

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
I've hired armed security for work. Most of those guys I've had a chance to talk to rave about Safelife defense. But those guys are buying concealed soft armor.

Then again, concealed soft armor is nice to have as well. It offers more coverage, and can be fairly discreet if dressed around it.

I had to work near the protest areas, and wore my set of 3a armor underneath my clothes for that week or so. My set is long expired, purchased in 2009. But I only wore it a couple days a month back in NYC, as I had handle cash monthly.
Expiration dates on soft armor is at best an oversight and a scam at worst.

http://www.bulletproofme.com/How_Good_is_Police_Surplus.shtml

(Disclaimer - not employeed by nor do I make any $$ from the above website. Have ordered happily from them in the past)

Expiration dates on soft armor is at best an oversight and a scam at worst.

http://www.bulletproofme.com/How_Good_is_Police_Surplus.shtml

(Disclaimer - not employeed by nor do I make any $$ from the above website. Have ordered happily from them in the past)
My research turned up much the same conclusion. But there is some basis for it. Zylon based soft armor breaks down from exposure to heat, humidity, and sun light. From levels present in daily wear. Which caused recalls and class action lawsuits. This mostly only affects soft armor made in Japan and Germany.

My soft armor isn't Zylon, but it's also been stored in a dark, temp controlled closet for most of it's life. I was wearing it maybe 3-4 days a month for the first 5 years, then not at all until recently. I have washed the removable nylon carrier a number of times, and my actualy kevlar panels are encased in seperate water repellent nylon as well.

http://www.tactical-survivalist.com/zylon-body-armor/

Kinoons

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
My research turned up much the same conclusion. But there is some basis for it. Zylon based soft armor breaks down from exposure to heat, humidity, and sun light. From levels present in daily wear. Which caused recalls and class action lawsuits. This mostly only affects soft armor made in Japan and Germany.

My soft armor isn't Zylon, but it's also been stored in a dark, temp controlled closet for most of it's life. I was wearing it maybe 3-4 days a month for the first 5 years, then not at all until recently. I have washed the removable nylon carrier a number of times, and my actualy kevlar panels are encased in seperate water repellent nylon as well.

http://www.tactical-survivalist.com/zylon-body-armor/
Yeah i had read that in the past, and the guys I had purchased from said that too. Fortunately, as you noted, mostly an international thing.