• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Best Auto Loan Rates

stitch702

Recovering Gunaholic
Forum Supporter
Well the my old car that I've had since college is beginning to show its age. It served me well after 17 years. I've been eyeing a used truck made in 2013 and have been wondering what credit unions in Las Vegas have had the best experiences and rates. I'd go through my bank, but it doesn't look like their rates are as competitive as the local credit unions here. Let me know what your opinions are. So far I'm going to check Pen Fed, West Star Credit Union, America First, One Nevada, Clark County, etc to check their rates in the morning. Any recommendations or any good experiences with your own auto loan provider? Thanks in advance.

Bonez

Well-known member (45 ACP)
All of my auto loans have been through America First CU for ~30 years, I have been very pleased with their rates and services.

RK1911

Active member (5.56mm)
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Check put Silver State Credit Union. Their rates are good. We financed a lot of people through them.

JimBianchi

Daddy
Forum Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Just a month ago closed a loan on a used car 3.99% with One Nevada.

One Nevada prohibits guns in their facilities...
One more time guys. That is what we call a rule it is not a law. I know a lot of you guys can't go to the bathroom in your home with out your 9 and a extra 30 round mag in your pants. So if you happen to get caught in a One Nevada with your Gack 9 your not going to do any hard time in the big house. I would suggest next time you go with a bud and he can stand guard outside while you take care of business inside that way if there is a active shooter situation he can handle his business with the shooter. This way you can have piece of mine while inside the credit union and you won't feel naked without your security blanket.

Just an Average Joe

Forum Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
One more time guys. That is what we call a rule it is not a law. I know a lot of you guys can't go to the bathroom in your home with out your 9 and a extra 30 round mag in your pants. So if you happen to get caught in a One Nevada with your Gack 9 your not going to do any hard time in the big house. I would suggest next time you go with a bud and he can stand guard outside while you take care of business inside that way if there is a active shooter situation he can handle his business with the shooter. This way you can have piece of mine while inside the credit union and you won't feel naked without your security blanket.
I believe his point was that we should give our dollars to businesses that SUPPORT the 2nd Amendment, versus those with rules that go against it.

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I ended up getting a used vehicle loan through Lincoln/Ford over the summer under 3%. I'm thinking rates went up.

stitch702

Recovering Gunaholic
Forum Supporter
I ended up going with Navy Federal Credit Union. Their rates are way higher than most credit unions, but still cheaper than the big banks. Their customer service and convenience of use have been great. I ended up running into some complications due to the seller's smaller credit union requirements, but since Navy Federal is available state-wide I had no problem going back between banks to sort it out. Also found out most local credit unions will make it difficult to get a loan if the vehicle is out of state. I will probably refinance within a year though with one nevada or west star credit union. Both banks had the cheapest interest rates.

soundguy1

Member (9mm)
Don't buy a car you can't pay cash for. Unless you get a 0% loan you are throwing your money away.

There's a great book by a guy named Dave Ramsey about finances called "Total Money Makeover". Buy it used and read it. My family has become financially much smarter and much more comfortable in life following his teaching. We only have small real estate payments now, which is the only thing anyone should ever take out a loan for.

Well the my old car that I've had since college is beginning to show its age. It served me well after 17 years. I've been eyeing a used truck made in 2013 and have been wondering what credit unions in Las Vegas have had the best experiences and rates. I'd go through my bank, but it doesn't look like their rates are as competitive as the local credit unions here. Let me know what your opinions are. So far I'm going to check Pen Fed, West Star Credit Union, America First, One Nevada, Clark County, etc to check their rates in the morning. Any recommendations or any good experiences with your own auto loan provider? Thanks in advance.

JohnnyK

"My name is NOT Johnny!"
Forum Supporter
I ended up going with Navy Federal Credit Union. Their rates are way higher than most credit unions, but still cheaper than the big banks. Their customer service and convenience of use have been great. I ended up running into some complications due to the seller's smaller credit union requirements, but since Navy Federal is available state-wide I had no problem going back between banks to sort it out. Also found out most local credit unions will make it difficult to get a loan if the vehicle is out of state. I will probably refinance within a year though with one nevada or west star credit union. Both banks had the cheapest interest rates.
Several months before you are ready to refinance, go in to the local Navy Federal branch, and tell them what you are wanting to do. The reps have been able to work out a lot of things for many people, myself included... They have been very flexible.

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Don't buy a car you can't pay cash for. Unless you get a 0% loan you are throwing your money away.

There's a great book by a guy named Dave Ramsey about finances called "Total Money Makeover". Buy it used and read it. My family has become financially much smarter and much more comfortable in life following his teaching. We only have small real estate payments now, which is the only thing anyone should ever take out a loan for.
Actually this isn't true in every case. For example, I'd rather put lumps of cash into investments that net much more than the 3% loan.

I believe his point was that we should give our dollars to businesses that SUPPORT the 2nd Amendment, versus those with rules that go against it.
I don't believe most of these business's are anti second amendment I think there just naive. They seem to think a sign on the door will stop armed robbers or active shooter situations. What they don't understand is that criminals don't follow the laws. There are almost always rules against knifes posted as well so are they anti knife or do they think there protecting there customers and employee's? Probably neither just covering their ass in case something did happen gives them a small legal out.

JohnnyK

"My name is NOT Johnny!"
Forum Supporter
I don't believe most of these business's are anti second amendment I think there just naive. They seem to think a sign on the door will stop armed robbers or active shooter situations. What they don't understand is that criminals don't follow the laws. There are almost always rules against knifes posted as well so are they anti knife or do they think there protecting there customers and employee's? Probably neither just covering their ass in case something did happen gives them a small legal out.
Specifically, the only way to address these types of businesses is to vote with your wallet, and patronize those that welcome and accept you.

By continuing to conduct business with companies with such policies, you are rewarding them for discriminating against you.

Holy crap, the rates mentioned in this thread are crazy. I thought credit unions were supposed to have better rates than big banks? I bought my wife's car in 2016 with a 1.99% rate with Chase, and my truck in 2017 with 2.99% rate from BOA which I already wasn't too happy about.

Just an Average Joe

Forum Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Interest rates have gone up considerably since 2016, when the Fed kept the rate at 0% for several years during Obama's lackluster economy with minuscule growth. They have bumped it up more than half a dozen times since Trump's economy has been on fire.

Sucks if you are borrowing.

But it's better if you are saving.