• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Best 1-8x or 1-10x Tactical Optic?

Hey guys, I'm looking for a good 1-8x or 1-10x optic for my AR308. Most of my experience has been with red dots and iron sights so this is the reason why I'm thinking about getting a low power variable optic as I get into distance shooting.

Here are a few that I've been looking at. Has anyone had experience with these?

1. Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8x24 - $399 at Amazon.com
2. EOTech Vudu 1-8x24 - $1001.99 at BigDaddy Unlimited
3. Swampfox Arrowhead 1-10x24 - $439.20 at Swampfoxoptics.com w/coupon 'DAILYSHOOTER'
4. Primary Arms SLX 1-8x24 ACSS - $479 at Primaryarms.com

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

Are you planning on doing much run and gun, both eyes open, were you need a true 1x or will offset irons serve you close quarters needs which would open up a whole new world of scopes like 2.5-10 or 4-16?

Are you planning on doing much run and gun, both eyes open, were you need a true 1x or will offset irons serve you close quarters needs which would open up a whole new world of scopes like 2.5-10 or 4-16?
My primary use would be shooting 100-400 yards but would also have a true 1x to take the place of a red dot at close range (which I'm used to). Not sure I'll be doing much run and gun with the rife I'm planning on pairing it with.

Last edited:

Janizary

Geth Prime
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
You've got a several hundred dollar spread on items listed. What is your cap and what would you like to stay under?

You've got a several hundred dollar spread on items listed. What is your cap and what would you like to stay under?
The EOTech Vudu is the only one out of the 4 that tops $1000 - the others are in the $400-$500 range. Of course, I'd rather stick to this range and save some money but if the Vudu is exceptional, I'm willing to pay it. If you know of any other optics I should consider, please let me know! I have 4 red dots and this would be my first scope.

With Vortex being the cheapest save a few bucks and go that route. I've had issues with two vortex scopes and had them fixed under warranty. I still have an old pst 1-4 on an AR which is just a smaller version of what you're looking to do.

Janizary

Geth Prime
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
On the bottom end you can get the Strike Eagle Gen 2 1-8 for $349 with the vortex mount included and free shipping from PSA (it is, however, currently out of stock). Use code STRIKE when in stock. 1x is not true 1x and it will be a bit fish-eyed, but for the price it is an excellent performer at the ranges you've listed, if you can get used to the 1x. Put yourself on the 'notify me' list.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/vor...port-cantilever-30mm-ring-mount-2-offset.html

On the bottom end you can get the Strike Eagle Gen 2 1-8 for $349 with the vortex mount included and free shipping from PSA (it is, however, currently out of stock). Use code STRIKE when in stock. 1x is not true 1x and it will be a bit fish-eyed, but for the price it is an excellent performer at the ranges you've listed, if you can get used to the 1x. Put yourself on the 'notify me' list.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/vor...port-cantilever-30mm-ring-mount-2-offset.html

Thanks. Just picked up a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8x24 from Palmetto for under $450 with tax and shipping included (I used code STRIKE for the discount). A bit higher than their last sale but still a fair price.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/vortex-strike-eagle-1-8x24-gen2-riflescope-w-ar-bdc3-reticle-vortex-sport-cantilever-30mm-ring-mount-2-offset.html?trk_msg=1BEDVUB4CE9KR2EE6V8BLVP81O&trk_contact=E9VSR1K274G0J2A1PQA4VGS0MK&trk_sid=GNVRVLRJI8VMFK8FQRGVILPU4G&utm_source=Listrak&utm_medium=email&utm_term=https://palmettostatearmory.com/vortex-strike-eagle-1-8x24-gen2-riflescope-w-ar-bdc3-reticle-vortex-sport-cantilever-30mm-ring-mount-2-offset.html&utm_campaign=Daily+Deal+Email&utm_content=12:00+Email

Janizary

Geth Prime
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
A bit higher than their last sale but still a fair price.
Yeah, looks like they reduced the discount they are now giving. They were $349 after code (before tax) just a few weeks back (for a few months at that price on the new Gen2). Looks like they are only giving $75 off now, rather than the $140 that it was a few weeks back.

Hope you enjoy it.

TexasJackKin

Breathng Free, at last
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
I’ve got the Vortex 1 to 8 Strike Eagle, a great scope, especially for the price. A bit of fish eye at 1 power, but it goes away at about 1.5 power.

Everybody touts the Vortex warranty... What kind of profit margin you think they have to have on their scopes to have a anything forever warranty? Just saying...

I've got a couple of Vortex scopes in the stable, but I haven't been impressed. A slide against rocks that most other manufacturers would show little or no damage from left major scratches on the paint of my Gen 2 PST. and then there was the time I trusted the zero stop on the Gen 2 Razor....

Buy once, cry once was a lesson it took a long time to learn, but it's getting thru!

Kinoons

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
Everybody touts the Vortex warranty... What kind of profit margin you think they have to have on their scopes to have a anything forever warranty? Just saying...

I've got a couple of Vortex scopes in the stable, but I haven't been impressed. A slide against rocks that most other manufacturers would show little or no damage from left major scratches on the paint of my Gen 2 PST. and then there was the time I trusted the zero stop on the Gen 2 Razor....

Buy once, cry once was a lesson it took a long time to learn, but it's getting thru!
Or it could be they’re so confident in their products that the number that get returned for repair/replacement is low enough to offer such a warranty.

I don’t go banging my rifles around on the daily. They don’t get smacked into the wall of an APC. The most abuse they will see is getting put into and taken out of my range bag or backpack. As such the vortex optics I have purchased to date have worked just fine for me. I’d be willing to bet for the majority of recreational civilian shooters a vortex optic will work fine too.

Kinoons -

I'm not talking about "abuse", unless you count an accidental slip of my rifle when climbing down off some rocks while hunting rockchucks in Idaho. I'm talking about things like the Zerostop failing mid competition as the retention screws backed out. When I discussed the issue with Vortex's Customer Service, their solution for what was (at the time) a $2k+ optic was to offer longer retention screws..."cuz then you'll notice when they back out" Again, IMO, the Vortex stuff is mediocre at best. There are a number of shooters I knew in Idaho before I moved who experienced issue after issue with Vortex's quality control out of the box and failures over time. Anybody that's willing to replace a scope under warranty when someone's angry ex- spraypaints the objective lens is making enough that replacing scopes isn't an issue.