• Chat feature is now enabled for ALL USERS!

Automatic knives

Trying to figure out their complex word tango... saw where "automatic or assisted" was non legal in NV. True?

Also, is blade measurement calibrated as only the "sharpened" part of blade?

Ramone

Obsessed Member
Auto knives are a guilty pleasure for me. Since NV made them legal, when over 2 inches, I have gone a little nuts with them. (I bought sub 2 inch ones before the law was changed.) Find a good store that sells different brands. I know the cheap ones seem like a bargain, but I would spend more and be happier with the purchase. That said, I did break a black box Benchmade. But Benchmade made good on it. Not bad and food for thought. Truth be told though, a manual folder purchased at Lowe's or Home Depot will serve anyone very well. But it does not have the exotic allure of an auto.

Last edited:

Ramone

Obsessed Member
Trying to figure out their complex word tango... saw where "automatic or assisted" was non legal in NV. True?

I go by what the manufacturer says it is.

Automatic means activated or opened by a button alone. OTF models have a sliding release.
Assisted means you have to start it manually, with your thumb on a notch or post, and a spring completes the opening.

Both are legal here, with the warning about blade length taken into consideration for Clark County. There are many good models available, manual or auto, with a blade length under 3 inches.

jfrey123

I aim to misbehave...
Staff member
Forum Supporter

Blade measurements are not a statewide thing, and as a northerner I’m not 100% on county regs down there.

As for state law on “automatic or assisted”: assisted has never been mentioned in NRS, so it was never illegal. Automatic knives were named “switch blade knives” and the definition covered any knife that opened or slid by press of a button. Gerber spring assists used to be debated because they require pushing a button safety, but the actual opening always required pushing the blade to open which makes it an “assisted” knife.

This is the language change from 2015 that removed the prohibitions on possession of switch blade/auto knives: https://www.leg.state.nv.us/Statutes/78th2015/Stats201515.html#Stats201515page1587

Thanks much. Seeing clearly through the smoke and mirrors realizing our wonderful state is getting more californicated by the day. Gaining some on point, defensive knife skills is worthy of more of my time... *before YouTube starts banning knife training videos and demand we butter our bread with spoons. :/ At Shot Show range day, talked with a bigwig mil employee living overseas, where almost everything is already banned and even he cant bring a firearm home to protect his family and a 17 year old girl in Denmark maced a guy who was trying to rape her and was charged and fined for possession of mace. Stay safe out there friends.