Automatic knives

Most Shrade are made in Taiwan or China. Sad as it is.
There are 3 or 4 Chinese companies that are producing super high quality knifes with fit & finish that put Benchmade knifes to shame.
Of course there not cheap but less than American made with better quality and F&F. They have pretty much put the knife world on notice that you better be able to produce a high quality knife with Titanium scales and a blade made with a super steel and a flipper on bearings for less than $300.00 If your interested the companies are WE, Reate, Kizer and Carson Tech Labs. Personally I won't waste my money on flea market quality knifes. I am to poor to buy cheap quality knifes or guns. Last knife I bought was a midtech collaboration between Serge panchenko and Hawk knifes called the orbit I really like this cleaver style for a pocket knife. To bad it took 8 months after the order date to receive.

http://knifenews.com/hawk-knives-and-panchenko-collaborate-on-orbit-hawk-lock-flipper/

JTW_Jr

WheelGunner
Well aware of the companies that make " knives" , however Schrade uses the cheapest they can. Majority of their stuff is in the quality of Fury.

Well aware of the companies that make " knives" , however Schrade uses the cheapest they can. Majority of their stuff is in the quality of Fury.
Sorry I butted in and replied didn't know this was a closed conversation. Most people assume anything made in China is junk I was merely trying to point out there are some quality blades coming form there. I know you already know that becasue as stated you are "Well aware of the companies that make knifes" Since you seem to be in the know of the companies that make knifes how many is that exactly?

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
There is a time and place for cheap knives, IMO.

As long as the blade and construction suffice, the cheaper for EDC for me. I rarely use it for anything more than opening boxes. I have several dozen cheap knives around the house, shop and garage. I misplace them all the time, and find them usually.

If they were expensive knives, I'd have less, and probably keep track of them more. But I would also be pretty disappointed when I lost one.

I have some higher end knives from Canal Street and Kabar; but nothing that would have retailed for over $200. I NEVER use them.

JTW_Jr

WheelGunner
Sorry I butted in and replied didn't know this was a closed conversation. Most people assume anything made in China is junk I was merely trying to point out there are some quality blades coming form there. I know you already know that becasue as stated you are "Well aware of the companies that make knifes" Since you seem to be in the know of the companies that make knifes how many is that exactly?
FYI its " knives" as the plural.

JTW_Jr

WheelGunner
I have been in the knife collecting / knife making hobby for about 30 years. I am aware of who makes quality , who makes crap , who doesn't actually " make " anything (Cold Steel for example) , as well as the makers who claim to make customs yet are mid tech.

:)

One good thing , the quality , and selection of quality is the best it has been , especially we all the manufactures doing collabs with custom makers , as well as having custom makers design for them. Like Onion did for Kershaw , and now for CRKT. WE Knives , Reate and Kizer have really upped the game. I remember when Reeves Sebenza was the pinnacle others were judged by , there are plenty of equal options costing much less.

Fogie

Swimming Pool Monkey
Forum Supporter
Surely that Schrade will cut up a lot of stuff. My standard for a good knife is one that will survive whacks with a mallet while prying valve tops, deck lids and such. The current work knife has no name. It is automatic though, and has been a good one. It has lasted for 8 months or so and gets used a bunch, so...
I was prompted by this thread to take it to the grinding wheel and sharpen it up a bit...Ready for more duty.
GunDeals has awesome bargains on knives. I got a Kershaw shipped for $9.00 not long ago and it's in the bullpen.

NYECOGunsmith

Obsessed Member
Staff member
^^^^^^^That's the one I received as a parting gift from the Director Of Emergency Services for Nye County, it's a beautiful knife, the jimping on the back of the blade and spine is beautifully done. Resized 1.jpg
Resized 2.jpg