• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Any Polaris RZR owners here?

Ive always wanted to buy one, maybe some say. My ideal location to live would be Boulder City, Nevada and go riding south of the city along I-95 to Laughlin. I rather get a 4 seater and pack a cooler in the back along with a pistol or rifle. Also need the roof mounted stereo system.

I also heard of some groups riding from Fallon up to Reno. Any feedback on that.

So do you ride? 2 or 4 seats? Armed? Your mods? Sound system? In any riding groups?

One of my favorite RZR promo videos...

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Former Rzr owner - might buy another or something similar. Polaris is middle of the road as far as reliability. I'd rather a Honda Pioneer, Kawasaki Teryx, or, most likely, the Yamaha Wolverine.
The Rzr I had was a '13 trail edition 2 seater. It was reliable for the most part, but it didn't have 2k miles on it yet when I sold it. I'd rather have two 2 seaters than a 4 seater. Can go more places and the wife can drive her own if we have more than 2 people going out. In fact, having 2 vehicles is out is better than having one in case you run into trouble.
As for arms, I usually had the 44 mag between the seats in one of these bags from Tusk:
https://www.amazon.com/Tusk-Pack-Bl...8&qid=1518538888&sr=8-1&keywords=tusk+rzr+bag

I have had two Rzr's, a 2010 800 S and then a 2012 900 XP, both two seaters. Got tired of the wife being scared all the time, so I started looking for a utility quad. I came across a near new little single seat ACE 570 on Craigslist and liked the idea of a roof over my head so bought it. I put an aftermarket cage on it to get rid of the conehead look, also added lights and a RZR 1000 seat. Its not as fast as the 900 by any stretch, but still does 60 which is plenty fast and isn't much larger than a utility quad. So fits nicely in my shop. At my age, I don't need something that is the fastest and baddest thing on the block....

Bought a 2014 rzr 1000 xp4 brand new in 14. Was a lot of money and then put another ~7k into it with better tire and beadlock wheel, custom cage (must have if you roll stock it is crap and bolted together and will not save you. Watch videos online), light bars, and all the other goodies that the “cool kids” need. The market went crazy and new “better” one every year.

Bigger lose of value that a vehicle. Like 28-29k and after only 4 years it maybe could sell for 11k now. It has been fun so can’t complain on that part but they are huge money pits if you like to ride hard. Also maintenance and belts and such on the 1000 are a lot of money and blow if you ride hard.

If you don’t feel like doing 70+ mph through really rough terrain save yourself some money and get a few year old 900 for dirt cheap. They can be had for 6-8k and you will get all the cages radios and other extras somebody else already spent lots of money on.

As for the 2/4 seat. I bought the 4 seat thinking we would have friends to ride along. I have probably ridden it 75% of the time with me and one other person. Cooler fits in the bed of it just fine and a two seater is much more fun of a ride. I am about to have a baby so figure I will finally actually need the back seats in a few years about 7 or so years after buying it because I refuse to sell and lose all the money I have into it.

Former Rzr owner - might buy another or something similar. Polaris is middle of the road as far as reliability.
Can you please go into more details on the reliability of Polaris? I would like to hear more.

Some side notes-

I have been a long time Yamaha fan when it comes to their watercraft. Super reliable. Curious about their Side by side units as well, just havent heard much.

I have been a long time fan of Honda's dirt bike and quad line. Also curious about their side by side.

Seems like Polaris still cornered the side by side market.

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
You can Google Polaris reliability and or ask a 4 wheeler mechanic.
The most reliable are the Japanese makes. Polaris, CanAm Arctic cat are 2nd tier, followed closely by the China makes the Cmoto and Tao.

Research research research

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
And yes Polaris did corner the market, but I would bet over the last 5 years with Kawasaki and Honda getting serious about the market, along with Yamaha replacing the Rhino with Wolverine, Polaris has lost market share. Just an educated hunch.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I sold my Rzr and right now have a couple of quads including an old Yamaha Wolverine. The Wolverine ATV became the Kodiak series a year or 2 after mine was made. As of a couple of years ago, Yamaha recycled the name and uses it on the SxS.
We've test rode the Honda Pioneer and was impressed with the 500 more than the Pioneer 700. I need to try out the new Wolverine though.

I don't have much time to ride so it really hasn't been a priority.

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
I have a 2015 RZR 4 900EPS. There is more maintenance and upkeep on a RZR than most people would imagine. I've gone by the manual for the schedule which is probably a bit of over kill. I do my own maintenance though so I know the condition of my machine.

In the case of a 4 seat machine the RZR is the only sport machine. All others are more utility machines. Upgrades are available everywhere for these machines but cost a bunch. I did my own sterio which sounds great until you are under power and the then the exhaust sound kills the music. If I turn up the volume to over some that then it's just too loud.

I set mine up for street legal which is great In Idaho or Utah but Clark County restricts almost all street use so it's useless in the valley where pavement existsts. If you have some money to burn then an RZR is a kick in the butt.

Idaho Shooter

Very Active Member
I have a 2016 Wildcat 4X and so far it’s been a good machine. Most of my riding has been with my two little kids in the back so I haven’t gone hard but it does well. Took it to Dumont Halloween weekend and it went just about anywhere I wanted to go. It doesn’t hold anything to the new RZR Turbo or Can Am Max but for the price I’m happy. Picked it up in Idaho last July as a new holdover for 17k OTD.

Well I ended up selling my rzr that I said I wouldn't sell. Got the new texron (previously Arctic cat) wildcat xx. Having a new 3 month old baby, he won't be able to ride for a few years and the wife will be riding a lot less. Didn't need the 4 seats and the new wildcat is totally rethought machine from the others. Will get it this week as it is still in transit. I will let everybody know how it goes.

Dacam

Member (9mm)
Forum Supporter
2023 Supporter
Well I ended up selling my rzr that I said I wouldn't sell. Got the new texron (previously Arctic cat) wildcat xx. Having a new 3 month old baby, he won't be able to ride for a few years and the wife will be riding a lot less. Didn't need the 4 seats and the new wildcat is totally rethought machine from the others. Will get it this week as it is still in transit. I will let everybody know how it goes.
I looked at the Wildcat machine, it looks a whole lot different from the old Artic cats from before. I got a 2016 Polaris 1000s and am considering selling it for a different side by side. Also checking out Maverick x3 but it’s fricken so expensive!

I just bought a new toy a few weeks ago. Having a hell of a time! I'm looking for places to go. I've been to the dry lake bed a few times, Burro Wash, and beyond the Cell tower just down from the sloan exit.

rzr.jpg

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Around here I've gone to Wheeler pass and both sides of the mountain a few times and then also out to the Logandale trails a bunch. Usually it goes with me up to my place in Idaho either mountains or sand dunes for the summer months. 4 totally different riding experiences but every one of them is fun.

Roach

Well-known member (45 ACP)
There are great trails from M all the way down to Primm. When you say to the lakebed I'm not sure you mean the actual lakebed or the miles and miles of trails around there. There are a lot of off-road races down there and so many trails. If you don't have a lowrance at least get leadnav. Maps of the mint 400, Henderson 250, and probably the KC highlights night race .gpx files are floating around.

I just bought a new toy a few weeks ago. Having a hell of a time! I'm looking for places to go. I've been to the dry lake bed a few times, Burro Wash, and beyond the Cell tower just down from the sloan exit.

View attachment 33745

Thanks I'll look for those maps. I ran around on the lake bed for about 45 minutes and spend a few hours on some trails around there. I had a great time. There's some nice senic spots once you get out in the mountains out there.

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
The riding season is about to pick up in Southern Nevada in a short while. Once the heat drops another few degrees the best few months of the year kick in. I'll be looking for some new country out behind Mesquite.

One good thing about riding the Logandale trails is there is a great shave ice place on the main drag right on my way back.