• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Any interest in a Premium Membership that would allow photo attachments?

Status
Not open for further replies.

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Update 7/20

We are looking into several ideas including addons that would remedy this issue, hopefully as a one time expense rather than a recurring expense. Stay tuned.

In order for us to resume allowing photo attachments to be uploaded to the server, we need to pay about 45% more in hosting fees for the additional bandwidth.

While one can post an image hosted elsewhere, I understand that is somewhat time consuming for some, and beyond the technical expertise of folks like me! :ROFLMAO:

Therefore, we are thinking of creating a subscription based service that would allow folks to upload photo attachments, for use only here on the forum (ie no hotlinking to other sites). At the moment, we are thinking the attachment size would be limited to 1MB per attachment.

We would expect pricing to be around this to run around $25-$30 annually for this subscription.

Interested?

Last edited:

GatorJim

Squib Saver
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I would be interested.
Would there be any chance to dd something like $5/month subscription ?

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
It really depends on interest, but there is some labor involved with adding users to usergroups and such, so I couldn't imagine we'd want to do terms of less than 6 months at a time. BUT per month it would be less than $5. I am thinking $15-$20 for 6 months and $25-$30 for annual - preliminary.

Kinoons

Well-known member (45 ACP)
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I could be comvinced to kick in once a year. Figure I’m here enough to justify the expense

Dusty

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I have noticed when I share my pictures threw iCloud before I post them here there is no file size limit. I’m guessing this is third party hosting. So this will still be allowed without a subscription? Thanks.

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Yes! Using third party hosting like Imagur, Google, Dropbox, postimage, etc is encouraged!

This is simply to be able to upload photo attachments to the forum directly, saving a step (and time).

Dusty

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I’m guessing that I’m a big part of this problem. Some of the threads of started have a lot of photos in them. Like the General photographs thread, or the threads in the hunting sub forum. Sorry for that. If photos shared from I cloud is acceptable, that is the only method I will use. If not I won’t share anymore photos so others can. Maybe I’ll just post my instagram link instead? thanks for all you admin do here?

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
The biggest problem was probably that I allowed photos up to 4MB to be attached, when all we really need is 100kb or less. I guess those hi res photos really suck the bandwidth.
On the old site we ceased hosting attachments early on, if I recall.

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
We are also thinking of perk membership to those who have contributed (outside of the hat fundraiser) since January. (You guys are the best!)

Based on the responses so far, however, it doesn't seem like there is a lot of interest in a Premium Membership to attach photos and speed up the server.

LASCHRIS

Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2023 Supporter
seems like the right thing to do. This computer stuff gives me a head ache.

Fogie

Swimming Pool Monkey
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I really dig the photo threads..Other sites I'm on have a plethora of "show us your..." threads. They are cool.
I noticed a "Premium Member" badge here and there, but must have missed the thread RE that.
So, you are talking about a procedure like that of other sites, whereupon the ability to upload quality pics (not thumbnails) directly from a device or computer would be enabled?
I've often thought maybe there could be a way to sell some of our little stuff..The kind of stuff that ends up in pay-it-forward or better, even..A dedicated "sticky" or whatever it's called..Where the proceeds could be paypal-ed to the site instead of collected by us. Honor system, I guess. A "pay it forward-to the site." No price required, a lot of guys would more generous that way, I would think.

For instance..I traded 7 or so junky and iffy Mini14 mags for a twenty pack of beer, not long ago. Could have been a sum to the site, instead. Sold a nat gas grill for twenty, mostly because we have to put a price on stuff. Would have given it, but a batch to the site would have been cooler.

Last edited:

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
The photo attachments would be limited to 1MB each.

Photos really only need to be something like 100kb (or less) to look great on the web.

As for the other idea, any donations are appreciated; or sell the stuff and buy hats/mugs/shirts/patches etc! They make great gifts for the Never-Trumpers and Impeach Trump folks! (y)

jimf5

Member (9mm)
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
"The photo attachments would be limited to 1MB each."
Does this mean with the subscription fee? The pics i have been posting lately have been from my cell phone camera and run 2.5- 3.5 MB. My older pics are from an early digital camera and run under 1 MB. I would be in for the subscription at your target price.
I now know why i cant post pics any more
jimf5
in Pahrump

Fogie

Swimming Pool Monkey
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
The photo attachments would be limited to 1MB each.

Photos really only need to be something like 100kb (or less) to look great on the web.

As for the other idea, any donations are appreciated; or sell the stuff and buy hats/mugs/shirts/patches etc! They make great gifts for the Never-Trumpers and Impeach Trump folks! (y)

Well...Free and easy money is the best money. So, I sent you some.

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
"The photo attachments would be limited to 1MB each."
Does this mean with the subscription fee? The pics i have been posting lately have been from my cell phone camera and run 2.5- 3.5 MB. My older pics are from an early digital camera and run under 1 MB. I would be in for the subscription at your target price.
I now know why i cant post pics any more
jimf5
in Pahrump
You'd need to compress those high res photos. There are tons of apps for that. On my phone I downloaded LitPhoto. Thats5not necessarily a recommendation. It's just one of many apps for an android.

nvsteve

Active member (5.56mm)
Other forums I frequent limit the size of the photo. Not exactly sure of the mechanics but know that either
the site resizes or the member cannot post the pic unless he resizes. Is this option not available to the site owners?

LASCHRIS

Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2023 Supporter
Money maker idea for the forum. Create a sub forum for national politics. Charge $ for access. Keep it so only those who pay can access. That way, those political people have a place to do what ever it is they do. The site makes $. Non-political people don't get irritated. Everyone wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.