DUG

NASWOGS
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I used to have the Cobra 75 in my JK, but it pretty much sucked. I took it out a couple years ago when all my friends started using the Baofang radios, which also kinda suck. The TitanNV guy helped me pick out and install a Icom 2730 in my Jeep and I really like it. He programmed it and did the MARs mod as well. I'm thinking about doing a run or two doing Easter Jeep Safari (still a few spots open) and noticed they only use CB radios. So whats something decent I can get for those rare occasions I run with a CB only group? Handheld, under $500 and could stash in a rollbar bag.

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Man that's a bummer. Got this real nice Ham radio and these guys want you to use a CB!

I haven't used a CB in 20-30 years! So the following is simply my own perceptions. Maybe someone with far more experience with modern CBing will chime in. By the way, I bought a CB not long ago, and an antenna, but haven't even plugged it in!

As you know, unless you're using an external antenna, an HT CB is just gonna suck transmitting from inside a vehicle. I imagine the fiberglass hard top in the Jeep makes it suck a little less though.

Checking on Amazon, there are some Cobras and Uniden handheld CBs. I also see President brand which I've heard great things about. A feature I'd look for is sideband which they may not even be using in this event. If you are only buying this for this one event and they don't use sideband, then it's not worth paying extra for.

Also, if heard the FCC now allows FM transmissions on CB. That's kinda cool.

GatorJim

Squib Saver
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I bought a Uniden off Amazon just so I could talk on channel 4 if I needed to. When in Rome....

Golgo13

Member (9mm)
Forum Supporter
I have a radioddity cb27. It pretty much sucks beyond the fact that it has FM. i have a cobra 38wxst. No fm, but does receive NOAA. The Anytone 6666 10m rig has a cb 11m iteration. It's probably good considering that the 10m one is basically the same radio and is good.

tdyoung58

Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty.
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
My last CB was a Galaxy DX45MP.
A converted 10 meter. Peaked and tuned, about 150w. Totally illegal, but meh. They had small jumpers inside them to convert them to CB bands. Wish I still had it.
I have a very old Cobra 29 I got for free a while back, need to get it checked out before spending any money on it.
With most CB radios a good noise canceling mic helps a ton.

MET45

Well-known member (45 ACP)
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
President Randy III is the latest and greatest handheld CB.

AM, new FM CB band, and Weather Band.

Same range as other handhelds (relatively poopy) but better electronics and size.

About $180 on Amazon.

Harley

BANNED 4 LIFE because VGK suck!
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
My last CB was a Galaxy DX45MP.
A converted 10 meter. Peaked and tuned, about 150w. Totally illegal, but meh. They had small jumpers inside them to convert them to CB bands. Wish I still had it.
I have a very old Cobra 29 I got for free a while back, need to get it checked out before spending any money on it.
With most CB radios a good noise canceling mic helps a ton.
Back when I got into it I started with the basic Cobra 25. A short time later I bought the Galaxy DX-88HL. Same thing, wish I still had it.

MET45

Well-known member (45 ACP)
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
How did I not find this on their website?
Well, I guess I can screw up anything.
Yes, this would be the one to get.
Thanks MET45.
Looks like no Weather Band on the this one.