• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

"ammo shortage"

JTW_Jr

WheelGunner
Many people can, they just choose to spend that discretionary income on other non-essentials instead, like daily $4 cups of coffee, $2 energy drinks, new phones and flat screen TVs every year, nights out at the movies, etc etc., that don't seem like much each time, but add up just the same. It's all about priorities.
Well said.

Had a coworker make a smart remark at lunch one time about “ how much the rest of us at the table spent on guns & ammo monthly.”

He said that while sitting there with the newest iPhone and an Apple Watch and he drives a newer Escalade.

Me ? $150 smart phone, & 2003 Grand Marquis ( just over 100k miles ) & F100.

I called him on it, and his $10 a day Starbucks habit, he quickly understood if ‘it’s your thing‘ you will find a way.

:)

SixshooterSam

What, me conspiracy?
Well said.

Had a coworker make a smart remark at lunch one time about “ how much the rest of us at the table spent on guns & ammo monthly.”

He said that while sitting there with the newest iPhone and an Apple Watch and he drives a newer Escalade.

I called him on it, and his $10 a day Starbucks habit, he quickly understood if ‘it’s your thing‘ you will find a way.

Yep, exactly. I'm sure glad I stocked up on ammo when I did, because my priority has shifted now to investing in my business. But you sure won't see any $5 cups of coffee or new smartphones or vehicles here. I've had 67 vehicles total and never once had a car payment. Still have my three and a half year old iPhone, my 14 year old daily driver, my cheap clothes, cheap food, etc.. but I've spent a small pile of money on tools, equipment, etc etc. over the last three months. Hopefully in a couple of years ammo prices will come back down closer to reasonable, and my one-time business expenditures will be substantially reduced, so I can get back to restocking ammo again. And still not buying $5 cups of coffee. Ever.

ZilWin

Obsessed Member
Well said.

And he probably sits in front of a video poker machine for 3 hrs/nite too.

nlvmike

Just one more
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
I just took a 4 day course at Front Sight last weekend. I was there with several buddies, and we shot 650 rounds of 9mm each. So did the other 38 students in the class. I figured I was fine till I got the "no reloads" memo. We really had to scrape to come up with the factory new ammo. Front sight had it available, for $.58 per round. They limited each person to the round count for the class. Normally I don't pick up dropped ammo on the range from malfunction drills, but at that price, I bent down a few times.

Darn good course, and worth every pew I sent downrange.

jakkee

Obsessed Member
I started selling off my Gun Collection last year, Sold a lot of rifles for a lot less then i paid for them, know body sent me a note to say there sorry I lost money on my firearms or say what a good old boy i was for selling them cheap. Didn't get any awards for doing that. No mention when i sold cases of ammo for much less then the cost. Got insults for not asking less. I would like to apologize to those people who i sold my cases of 9 mm for a $180. I understood the market was down., Now the prices are going up everyday, Supply & demand, People are charging a buck a rd for fmj 9 mm. Its a free market and when you sell something that belongs to you, charge what you want. who are these people who decide what you can do with your own property. My first new car was a VW Bug $1400 out the door, my first new pair of Levis where under $5 from the locale army & navy store and my first large pizza was a $1 . those were fair prices. Anyone that asks more then that, For a new car, jeans & a large pizza. is a gouger. Also to be fair I would to be happy to return the $180 in cash to anyone who would like to return there 1000 rd cases of brass 9 mm ammo.

Last edited:

Gullwing

"Gunsmith"
Staff member
I just took a 4 day course at Front Sight last weekend. I was there with several buddies, and we shot 650 rounds of 9mm each. So did the other 38 students in the class. I figured I was fine till I got the "no reloads" memo. We really had to scrape to come up with the factory new ammo. Front sight had it available, for $.58 per round. They limited each person to the round count for the class. Normally I don't pick up dropped ammo on the range from malfunction drills, but at that price, I bent down a few times.

Darn good course, and worth every pew I sent downrange.
Yeah they demand factory new... but how closely did they check your ammo.... I mean it would be tempting to run the class with reloaded Wolf.

Tophog

Biker Trailer Trash
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
Yeah they demand factory new... but how closely did they check your ammo.... I mean it would be tempting to run the class with reloaded Wolf.
When I went, they just asked to look in your 'carry on' bag. Didn't check the ammo, just saw new looking 50 rd. boxes and said "Have fun."

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
I originally bought what I have during the last few shortages. Once I started hand loading I kept the factory ammo for Front Sight...if needed. I haven’t been to FS in the past 5 years though. These times are crazy unlike those previous shortage. This year isn’t getting better anytime soon in relationship to a peaceful lawful society.