• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

"ammo shortage"

^That's an awesome pic!

I used to own a Sentinel .22 caliber revolver, complete with the original box, and a price tag from Western Auto for something like $49.

Back in the day before everything, and everybody got so frickin' STOOPID about guns.....

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Is there any need for 223/5.56 out there? I don’t really need much of my factory ammo since I reload everything now. What about Federal 00 buckshot with Flight Control, best self defense 00 made. Maybe thinking about thinning the stock a bit.

SixshooterSam

What, me conspiracy?
Is there any need for 223/5.56 out there? I don’t really need much of my factory ammo since I reload everything now. What about Federal 00 buckshot with Flight Control, best self defense 00 made. Maybe thinking about thinning the stock a bit.
No, there isn't. Totally obsolete, dangeous to even have around. But I'd be happy to dispose of it for you, I'm a professional.

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Well I guess i don’t need to dig those cases out of the safe to start taking pictures.

SixshooterSam

What, me conspiracy?
That’s after I pull out the 9mm and 22lr ammo.
More obsolete, dangerous ammo that should be properly and safely disposed of before someone gets hurt. I once again offer my disposal services. Out of the kindness of my heart, I won't even charge you a disposal fee, I'll take care of it as a courtesy to a fellow forum member.

I’ve read a few articles about the last shortage. It said the ammo companies geared up and produced. Around the ‘16 election, figuring that president clinton would go into full attack mode.

More production. More staff.

Well, when things didn’t work out, aka president trump, they had a lot of inventory, the scare died down, and they were left holding a lot of stock, selling for less, making less profit.

Reduce production and staffing.

Some places have posted that makers don’t want to have that happen again.

Now, crazy demand. Maybe in prep for coming events.

Some folks are now posting limited supplies of components. Not sure if that’s correct. I saw that on another site, and in regard to bird shot, also used for clays, etc. not Just more aggressive things like slugs or buck, etc.

(Put on tin foil hat now)
I am thinking that there is influence of .gov from both sides, worried about possible civil unrest, to get companies to reduce production or availability of product.

Figuring that folks on both sides of the riot / law / civil unrest thing will explode, literally and figuratively.

This part is just my opinion.
(Tin foil hat off)
A panic by definition is irrational. This is the 3rd ammo panic that I remember. How many of us really, really need 1,000 of any ammo other than 22LR? P.S. Atlas Shrugged could have been written yesterday.

SixshooterSam

What, me conspiracy?
Yes, God bless you. but not many of us can afford $250+ a month in ammo.
Many people can, they just choose to spend that discretionary income on other non-essentials instead, like daily $4 cups of coffee, $2 energy drinks, new phones and flat screen TVs every year, nights out at the movies, etc etc., that don't seem like much each time, but add up just the same. It's all about priorities.

A panic by definition is irrational. This is the 3rd ammo panic that I remember. How many of us really, really need 1,000 of any ammo other than 22LR? P.S. Atlas Shrugged could have been written yesterday.
I guess that depends on your shooting habits.

I regularly go through a combined 500 rounds in a session of my assorted favorites 556,762x39,9mm and 45ACP.

As far as 22?

Used to shoot that much of it when I was younger and it was all I could afford

Now? Barely shoot it.

pooty

Forum Supporter
if you end up having to teach people to use a pistol, people who are new to firearms, it could take that many rounds to train up 2 - 3 people to a reasonable level. after that they'd hvae to shoot a box or two a week for the next month, to keep themselves from forgetting what they've learned.

Mr. B

Curmudgeon In Training
How many of us really, really need 1,000 of any ammo other than 22LR?
If you don't go through that much in a year, what are you even doing on the site? ;)

A few years ago, my roommate and I treated all the friends who helped us move to a range day and BBQ. Nine of them were new to shooting.

We went through over 3k rounds of ammo that day - mostly 5.56, 9mm, and .22LR, but also some other calibers. About 300 rounds per person. Four of the guests purchased their first firearms within two months of that day. Two more purchased their first firearms within six months.

Luckily I had a couple thousand of each of those basic calibers on hand, purchased when prices were low.. My roommate handled all the food and drinks. We each spent about the same amount.

Any range day can easily run to a couple hundred rounds per person. So a 9mm day might mean running around half the day, looking for enough ammo, and laying out $60+ per person ($120 for you and a friend). Ten trips a year comes out to be 4,000 rounds at $1200.
Contrast that with spending $400 for two thousand rounds, delivered to your door, a couple of times a year (a total of $800 for those same annual 4,000 rounds), and just pulling some out of the cabinet when you want to go to the range.

Buying in bulk for something that doesn't expire makes a lot of sense, especially when it saves you 30% or more versus buying in small lots.

Last edited:

Janizary

Geth Prime
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
Four of the guests purchased their first firearms within two months of that day. Two more purchased their first firearms within six months.
And that is why I am generally happy to take new shooters to the range on my dime. Demystifying firearms, reducing or eliminating the fear factor, getting a chance to speak on all of the positives aspects of gun ownership, and its just plain fun. Since I can get a double whammy on them (by letting them shoot suppressed as well, and completely destroying the narrative on evil silencers) I am more than happy to do so.

I figure even if I don't get a new gun owner out of it, I have at least left the seed of thought in their minds. And that seed could flourish in many ways...