• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

All Terrain Tires?

jln370

Member (9mm)
Forum Supporter
2023 Supporter
Looking to get some new tires for a Mercury Mountaineer 2WD (basically a fancy Ford Expedition). We go shooting out in the desert, not any serious off roading or anything. We stay on the trails. Are All Terrain tires necessary, or are we good with just some all weather tires? The vehicle has decent ground clearance. Only lived here in the desert for 2 years, so kind of new to all this off road stuff.

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
AT will give ya better piece of mind, but it really depends on the trails. I see 2wd cars with street tires on trails doing just fine - and other trails I wouldn't even take the Jeep with MTs on!

jln370

Member (9mm)
Forum Supporter
2023 Supporter
AT will give ya better piece of mind, but it really depends on the trails. I see 2wd cars with street tires on trails doing just fine - and other trails I wouldn't even take the Jeep with MTs on!
MTs? I'm a total noob, lol

Dr. Marneaus

Leave me alone.
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Unless you want to go further than you presently go, you're probably fine with whatever tires you have.

If you want new tires, all terrains will help.

Falken Wildpeak
BF Goodrich All Terrains
Toyo Open Country AT/3

are a few popular options available in a wide variety of sizes that also handle well on the road, even in wet and snowy conditions, and should offer plenty of tread life.

jln370

Member (9mm)
Forum Supporter
2023 Supporter
Unless you want to go further than you presently go, you're probably fine with whatever tires you have.

If you want new tires, all terrains will help.

Falken Wildpeak
BF Goodrich All Terrains
Toyo Open Country AT/3

are a few popular options available in a wide variety of sizes that also handle well on the road, even in wet and snowy conditions, and should offer plenty of tread life.
The vehicle needs new tires, so we figured we'd find what is best for what we use the car for given our new location. Thanks for the recommendations!

jln370

Member (9mm)
Forum Supporter
2023 Supporter
I would look at wild peak with the extra sidewall protection or the Goodyear Ali look for rebates on the tires. If u go out in rocky routes and air down I would get a thicker side wall tire
Thanks for the recommendations!

doz

Well-known member (45 ACP)
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
BFG K/O2

Don't even have to get certificates on them from Discount. I've plugged one 4 times due to nails/screws and still held up fine. They don't cut in sharp rocky areas either.

Dr. Marneaus

Leave me alone.
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
BFG K/O2

Don't even have to get certificates on them from Discount. I've plugged one 4 times due to nails/screws and still held up fine. They don't cut in sharp rocky areas either.
I've been running KO2's since they came out, on multiple vehicles, and never had an issue. I may be biased though, but I like them a lot.

Tophog

Biker Trailer Trash
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
I've got KO2s on my Jeeps, but on my 4x4 Sierra I have been running Cooper Discovery A-T. In fact I'm having new ones installed tomorrow.

The tread is not quite as agressive as the KO2, but noticeably quieter on the highway. And 10 ply would make it ride too much like . . . you know . . . a truck! :)

JR3

Active member (5.56mm)
I picked up 4 AT Trail Finders from Discount Tires. Standard load 265/75R16's.
I think they were around $120 each but I want to say there was a discount code??
We don't do any serious off roading. Groomed fire/dirt roads mainly. It fills our needs.

truck5 (2).jpg tires2 (2).jpg

Last edited:

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I have Mud Crawler Extremes and Patagonias on the Jeeps. They are both pretty quiet - for Mud Terrains. They aren't louder than the Cooper Discoverer's or Goodrich KO2s they had before.

Harley

BANNED FOR LIFE+35 Because he dared me to do it!
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
I've got KO2s on my Jeeps, but on my 4x4 Sierra I have been running Cooper Discovery A-T. In fact I'm having new ones installed tomorrow.

The tread is not quite as agressive as the KO2, but noticeably quieter on the highway. And 10 ply would make it ride too much like . . . you know . . . a truck! :)
I had those Coopers on my Silverado for my last set. Only complaint I had was the tread started to separate and created a bulge on one. Still had at least a year or so tread life left on them. Replaced them with Goodyear Wranglers and no complaints so far. Going on about 2 years or so with them.

Tophog

Biker Trailer Trash
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
I had those Coopers on my Silverado for my last set. Only complaint I had was the tread started to separate and created a bulge on one. Still had at least a year or so tread life left on them. Replaced them with Goodyear Wranglers and no complaints so far. Going on about 2 years or so with them.
The reviews are all over the place, so that doesn't help.

I've had great luck with my current ones. Been all over four wheeling, bouncing off rocks, decent traction in sand, you name it!

But after 8 years in this heat, and some early, small dry rot cracks near the rims, I figure it's time. I'll take my chances, but I'll keep an eye on them! (y)

MET45

Well-known member (45 ACP)
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I swear by my Goodyear Wrangler MT/R’s with Kevlar. a tough aggressive mud terrain with Kevlar reinforced sidewalls.

edit: corrected MT/R’s

Last edited:

Fogie

Swimming Pool Monkey
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
To the original poster:

I would not suggest mud terrains of any type for your needs lol.
Indeed...maybe some very mild ATs like the new Wranglers at the most, aggressive-wise. Doubtful that he wants his on-pavement ride to go to heck.