A gun in every room?

nikk

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
From a home defense perspective, do you think a gun in every room is necessary or nuts? Or... where is the logical limit?

I know that some people carry a weapon on their body at home, any time that they are not sleeping or showering. I am not too keen on that for myself.
However, I do feel that a gun in the bedroom, where most people keep it, is not enough. If I only keep a gun in my bedroom and I am at the other end of the house, if someone came in my front door, they are between me and my gun. So, obviously, I need at least one gun at each "end" of the house. If I am taking a shower and someone breaks in, that means that I need a "bathroom gun". Maybe I should have a "garage gun" too... and so on.

I have a friend who was sitting on the upstairs toilet when two guys broke his front door in. He did not own any gun. He pulled his pants up, grabbed a baseball bat and chased them down the street. He was lucky that they did not want to fight. This was in the middle of summer and he was barefoot, he got blisters on his feet from the hot pavement. Hence, bathroom gun.

My neighbors got mugged in their garage, when unloading groceries from their car, hence, a garage gun makes sense, but for me, in that case, I would be carrying.

Some people keep a shotgun near their front door, and that seems good but if someone breaks the door down, they are closer to it than you are.

Some people keep a gun between the sofa cushions. That could be real handy if you happened to be watching a movie.

Just interested in your thoughts about this.

Gullwing

1911 pistolsmith
Staff member
I have one on me at most times, Late evening and at night I don't. Down stairs there is one in the main room near where I sit. Should probably add one or two more downstairs, but haven't gone there yet.
Upstairs each occupied room has some. If in the bathroom then there is one on my belt.

nikk

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
I was thinking about the worst case scenario being in the shower. Here, the aggressor would have the greatest advantage. So, I am considering putting a stainless steel gun in a Tupperware container with desiccant and keeping it in the shower. Keeping it in the cabinet might not be convenient if I am in the shower. Know what I mean?

Harley

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter

Janizary

Geth Prime
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
My greatest fear is someone breaking in when I’m taking a deuce, and my legs are sleeping 🤣
That must be nice. Mine involves an army of blue zombie jello monkeys wearing pink knit caps armed with over-sized adult entertainment toys...and I didn't finish my homework so I'm going to fail that final class...again!

Hmmm...might be oversharing a bit much. ;)

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Commercial Sponsor
Forum Supporter
... I am considering putting a stainless steel gun in a Tupperware container with desiccant and keeping it in the shower....
The desiccant will be useless. Just use a stainless steel revolver. Put some enamel (nail polish comes with a handy applicator) around the bullets and primers.

Epic Milk

uber n00b
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Usually just what I have on body. I've got enough notice built into my home security setup to know something is up and I have enough time to grab what I need from the bedroom and camp out at whatever entrance they're hitting. If I'm sleeping in the living room or whatever, I'll have what i need there.

jfrey123

I aim to misbehave...
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
I can’t do one in every room since I have kids, just not quite practical.

I typically follow the “if I’m wearing pants, I’m armed” mantra, especially if I’m carrying IWB. Putting on and taking off the holster multiple times a day was cumbersome and I view every handling/holstering of the weapon as an opportunity for a ND (meaning be careful and do it as little as needed).

I’ve found myself wanting a long gun more readily available in the garage. My kids will typically play outside for hours in the afternoon, me supervising while working in the garage. I can’t really justify why I feel that need, my street is pretty dang quiet and safe, but a nice pump 12ga above the work bench seems comforting to me.

Used to keep one in every room but once I started baby sitting my niece (4yr old) everything went in the safe. Been thinking about tapping one to the lid of my toilet tank though.

DiscountGunSource

Experience the DGS Difference
Commercial Sponsor
We have quite a few folks that actually keep a loaded mag in each room. Theory is if you need to move through the house you have mags at strategic locations but no gun to be used against you. Of course if the bad guy has a gun that takes the same mags.....

Assumes no kids or similar around.

Felid'Maximus

Beware of Cat
Forum Supporter
A gun in each room cannot hurt, but if you have a gun in your pocket then you automatically have a gun in every room and always within close reach no matter where you are in the room, if you are wearing pants.

I only keep guns in rooms that I might not be wearing my pants, such as in the shower room or bed room.

Saethwyr

uber n00b
Forum Supporter
I was thinking about the worst case scenario being in the shower. Here, the aggressor would have the greatest advantage. So, I am considering putting a stainless steel gun in a Tupperware container with desiccant and keeping it in the shower. Keeping it in the cabinet might not be convenient if I am in the shower. Know what I mean?
Six months ago, I was in the shower when 2 kids broke in the back slider door, middle of the daytime. The appearance of a fat naked guy was enough to scare them away. They jumped the back wall like giselles. I make sure my wife is home now when I shower, so she can take care of it.