• Las Vegas Shooting Center - Customer Appreciation Day 10/19/2019! - CLICK HERE for details!

6mm BRX vs "others"???

I have a 6mm BRX that I am STRONGLY considering not using anymore due to brass expense/monkey business and other annoyances. Considering just have that barrel set back as little as possible and re-chambered into one of the other 6mm cartridges like 6 X 47 Lapua or maybe just going back to a BR or Dasher. I use this rifle pretty much only at F-open Mid Range (600 yards), but COULD also use the same rifle to shoot our club Long Range Varmint Matches (330 yd, 420 yd, 550, yd and 750 yd off of either a backpack or a bipod), so would also consider a 6.5 LAPUA or maybe another 6.5 Creedmoor (I have a virgin 6.5 mm 1:8 twist M24 Krieger barrel standing in the corner).

Was just now on the phone with a buddy and he suggested that I chop one of my .308 barrels down to 18 - 20 inches and use THAT for the mid range!! ARRGGHH!! MORE things to think about!!

SOOO....this is kind of a poll. What do you all think?

Last edited:

LongRange

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
6x47 are finicky and so is the dasher...65creed not accurate/consistent enough for your game...308??? why go backwards???

i believe the 6BR has won more titles than any other cartridge at 600yds...30g of varget or RL-15 a 105 or 108 with a cci450..ccibr4 or a fed205m...it dont get and simpler...if your gun wont shoot tiny holes with one of those you got a crappy barrel or you better take up knitting LOL!!

65B9B8B7-9797-4C19-B498-A0174B917434.jpeg

6x47 are finicky and so is the dasher...65creed not accurate/consistent enough for your game...308??? why go backwards???

i believe the 6BR has won more titles than any other cartridge at 600yds...30g of varget or RL-15 a 105 or 108 with a cci450..ccibr4 or a fed205m...it dont get and simpler...if your gun wont shoot tiny holes with one of those you got a crappy barrel or you better take up knitting LOL!!

View attachment 45363

Actually, I don't really knit at all and don't think I'd have anywhere near as much fun knitting as I do shooting!:sneaky: Also kinda curious about what the "....308" meant. The 308 I've been shooting a little here lately makes 5 shot cloverleaf groups at 200 yards with factory (Fed 168 grain Gold Medal), but I am not a good enough "group shooter" or wind doper to keep it like that consistently....usually the groups open up to about 3/4 to one inch with me shooting or the waterline is great, but gets kinda wide in the wind at 200 and beyond! ..... For me, the .308 Winch is a nostalgia thing, so I kinda enjoy it tough.

You have any experience with the 6mm Creedmoor? Is it better than or worse than the 6.5? So far I'm leaning toward the 6BR, but am still on the fence. Was shooting with some VERY good High Master shooters down in AZ at the nationals either last year or the year before that and most of them shot and spoke highly of the Dasher for use on no wind or low wind days, especially for the 600 yard game.....

Last edited:

LongRange

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
don this is dave just so you know who your talking to....

about the 308...great round but theres so many better choices for F-class(unless your shooting FTR)and the varmint match...but if you like it and that gun is shooting that good then by all means run it.

now as far as the 65 and the 6mm go ill take a 6mm over a 65....ive never shot a 65creed but i have shot a 260..260AI and a 65x47 and always end up back at the 6mm....as for the 6mm ive shot 5 6creed barrels and im playing with one right now so this one will make 6 barrels.

i shoot the 6BRX in the varmint match and a 6BR in the tactical matches...i shot a 3 shot group on the 650 coyote the size of your thumb nail with the BRX and a 1.5" group on the 850 coyote with the BR...both of these groups where witnessed so its not just internet BS.

the dasher can be made accurate but everything ive read and ppl i talk to that have shot it say its finicky....do some research and youll see the 6BR has won more 600yd titles than any other cartridge so on windless days id shoot a BR...like i said 30g of varget or RL-15 and play with seating depth...it does not get any easier.

the 6CM...great round but its a barrel burner i dont care what anyone says...ppl say they get 2000-3000 rounds through them...and they might...but i can guarantee you a 6creed will not win a varmint match past 1000 rounds...i had tom do a 6CM barrel for me because im bored and needed a change...this barrel is a rocket ship but im still playing with load development....

871C1A6C-FF68-40FF-B9B4-90B6F9255358.jpeg

C920C1D3-8B1F-458A-B46B-5A556160AEE6.jpeg

294F55F3-2BD4-4D8D-A58E-3E509AF13587.jpeg

this group was at 330yds...3 in one and not sure about the 2 outta the group...
4C75679A-5E6D-48C0-9409-322B999FBCDB.jpeg

F932297D-82B5-4C63-B779-0E54C12E4598.jpeg

B08CE607-21DA-462F-BD9A-AABC32C69BBB.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, Dave. I'm gonna go shoot groups and chrono the 308 some today with some different loads (RL-15, Varget and Vihtavori N140---none of them really STOMPING on it) and jumps for the 155 Grain TMK to see what it does at 200 and 300 and may do a little at the 600 just to get a zero. Will likely also shoot some more of that 168 grain FED Gold Match...the gun seems to like it in close anyway. We'll see what it does at 600. I just may use it for F-TR at the six hundred and stick to my 284 for the 1000 yard as I do like how it shoots. The 6.5 Creed works good on the Long Range Varmint, but when I had Tom set it back (at about 1250 rounds) and thread it for the TOMB system I think I got it too short..it's only 20 1/2" now (re-chambered again to 6.5 Creed when we set it back kinda as a barrel life experiment), but has over 1600 rounds through it now so I have another 6.5 behind the door. Will have that one cut to probably 24 inches and then the can will make it longer, but the can (TOMB system with the brake mounted on the barrel) only goes on for the LRV matches so it isn't so annoying for my shooting neighbors on the line. I like the 6.5 Creed for the LRV and if I am on the bubble, it shoots really well! Trouble is that plops me into the Master classification again and then I seem to backslide in the next matches back down into expert!!

BTW, when you say that the 6mm Creed is a barrel burner, what kinda velocities are you talking about? I tend to not STOMP on things too hard if I can get the accuracy I want at NOT the fastest node and that does make a barrel life difference. Besides, I will likely only shoot that gun at the 600 yard mid range (in F-Open class) so it doesn't have to be HOLY SH*T fast anyway.

Last edited:

LongRange

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
so speed dont kill barrels heat does...a 6cm is shooting the same amount of powder as a 65cm but through a smaller hole...if you shoot 10 rounds of the same charge through both guns the 6mm is going to be hotter(temperature wise) than the 65...when a round goes off its like a plasma cutter but with 60,000psi added in the mix...this is why ive moved to the smaller 6mms.

all the 6cm barrels ive shot started opening up around 1000 rounds and at 1200-1400 were 5/8"s to 1"...not good enough for the LRV match.
all of the 6cm barrels i shot were 24" and ran 115g DTACs at 3050+-...the current barrel is 28" and i want to see at least 3150 with 105s and 3200ish would be better...it will run 3250 but groups open up...its showing promise just need to dial it in now...4350 and a CCI450 looks like its going to do what i want.

so what exactly are you trying to do? build a LRV gun? or a 600yd F-class gun? something you can do both with? the 6BR with a longer barrel will get 2900FPS pretty easy or run 95g VLDs and should be able to hit 3000FPS.

so speed dont kill barrels heat does...a 6cm is shooting the same amount of powder as a 65cm but through a smaller hole...if you shoot 10 rounds of the same charge through both guns the 6mm is going to be hotter(temperature wise) than the 65...when a round goes off its like a plasma cutter but with 60,000psi added in the mix...this is why ive moved to the smaller 6mms.

all the 6cm barrels ive shot started opening up around 1000 rounds and at 1200-1400 were 5/8"s to 1"...not good enough for the LRV match.
all of the 6cm barrels i shot were 24" and ran 115g DTACs at 3050+-...the current barrel is 28" and i want to see at least 3150 with 105s and 3200ish would be better...it will run 3250 but groups open up...its showing promise just need to dial it in now...4350 and a CCI450 looks like its going to do what i want.

so what exactly are you trying to do? build a LRV gun? or a 600yd F-class gun? something you can do both with? the 6BR with a longer barrel will get 2900FPS pretty easy or run 95g VLDs and should be able to hit 3000FPS.
The example using the 6mm and 6.5 mm Creeds is valid as far as the statements made...just misses the point that the 6mm will typically have a lighter bullet and THEREFORE greater speed with the same amount of heat generating powder as could be (and often is) used in the 6.5mm. If it is slowed down some, it requires less powder which generates less heat.

I am trying to build a gun for the 600 yard midrange match...maybe F-TR or maybe F-Open---I haven't decided and that may come as an answer to some of the questions I am working on. I ALREADY HAVE a LRV rifle, so am not working on another one of those----only going to rebarrel and leave the caliber the same, though if it works out that whatever rifle I build for the 600 could also be used on the Long Range Varmint, I might just use it that way occasionally for the fun of itbut that is not my INTENT.

LongRange

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
6BR..most versatile cartridge IMHO....light charges and great barrel life...ill load up some ammo and let you shoot mine if you want.

LongRange

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
ill bring it to the next varmint match and you can shoot it then or if you want to come out to my place one saturday or sunday.

LongRange

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
any time just let me know....i shoot out at my place just about every weekend if you want to come out for a couple hours or ill load up 60 rounds give you the dopes and you can shoot the varmint match with it.

LongRange

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
im trying to get this 6creed running ill text you saturday afternoon so maybe sunday if not next weekend for sure but either way ill text or call saturday

LongRange

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
don a couple of things here...

first i did run the 6creed barrel....28" bartlein running 105 hybrids at 3230...this thing was an absolute hammer but a finicky MOFO...i had to tune every 50ish rounds as it was burning about .005 off the lands every 50-60 rounds after 300ish...at 758 rounds it was throwing fliers and fire cracking 7-8" into the barrel so i pulled it.

also i may have to eat my words in post #9....ive been doing a little research on the 6BRA and im thinking that it may be the perfect all round small 6MM....you can run this cartridge at BR speeds and up close to 3000FPS with 105s.
from what i understand if running at the higher speeds youll get dasher like barrel life...brian is shooting the BRA and its damn accurate.

i ordered a no turn BRA reamer should be here in november...my plan is to run it about 2900-2920 so 60-80fps faster than my straight BR and get close to the same barrel life...if you want a smaller 6 for the 600 you might want to take a look as it does hold a few records.

LongRange

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
I just completed a 6 mm BR Norma and it is, so far, a LAZER! I like it a lot.
don i knew youd like that 6br...easy to tune...very accurate and great barrel life.

I was playing with some Bart’s 105g infinity’s Saturday...these were at 300yds

9BDAB3B5-21B4-4A3F-B504-43C4CC2D5E8F.jpeg

Last edited: