• URGENT! Help STOP the UNCONSTITUTIONAL Red Flag Law AB291!
    CLICK HERE for details!

6.5 PRC

SUBMOA

Harley Builder
I was at Raley's this evening doing some grocery shopping, and I made a pass by the magazine rack like always to check out the gun mags, and something caught my eye. On the cover of March/April 2018 issue of Rifle Shooter was info on a new 6.5 caliber coming out The 6.5 PRC. The PRC stands for Precision Rifle Cartridge It appears to be a Hornady design and is based on the .300 RCM case necked down to 6.5. Some impressive ballistics are being stated in the article. Factory loads right at 3000 fps. with a 143grn ELD-X in a short action length. May have to investigate this a little closer. Has anyone out there had any experience with this round?? It is fairly new.

6.5 Creedmoor

Thanks but I'll stick with my 6.5 Creedmoor precision and hunting rifles.
Low recoil, flat shooting and very accurate.

Eric B.

LongRange

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
im going venture to say its going to be a barrel burner...with that said you can get the same thing done with a 260AI.
personally if i was going to build a hot rod id most likely do it with a 284(7mmSAUM) they have some ridiculously high BC bullets now...a 180g berger VLD at 3000-3100FPS with a .683G1 sounds pretty interesting.

ive even heard tales of a 176g 7mm bullet with a +.700G1!!

SUBMOA

Harley Builder
im going venture to say its going to be a barrel burner...with that said you can get the same thing done with a 260AI.
personally if i was going to build a hot rod id most likely do it with a 284(7mmSAUM) they have some ridiculously high BC bullets now...a 180g berger VLD at 3000-3100FPS with a .683G1 sounds pretty interesting.

ive even heard tales of a 176g 7mm bullet with a +.700G1!!
The only problem with that is you would be dealing with a lot of recoil. The PRC is supposed to be very low recoil, and plus the brass has a long neck so you can seat the bullet out futher.

LongRange

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
The recoil on my 260AI was not lite at all without a brake shooting 142s at 3000-3050 so I’d be willing to bet the PRC isn’t going to be much different then the AI as far as recoil goes.

I shot a 300 ultra mag not long ago with 150g bullets at 3200 and the recoil was surprisingly lite and that was with a 6-8lb hunting rifle.

You have shot your 300 a lot with 178s how is the recoil with it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LongRange

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
I guess I should ask what your doing or thinking about doing instead of telling you what I’d do.

So are you thinking about going away from the 260? Or just thinking about something different? New toy?

SUBMOA

Harley Builder
I guess I should ask what your doing or thinking about doing instead of telling you what I’d do.

So are you thinking about going away from the 260? Or just thinking about something different? New toy?

Not getting away from the 260. One of the things that intrigues about the PRC is it uses a magnum bolt face. The thing I'm thinking about getting away from is my 300 Mag. Since the action in it has been blueprinted and has the magnum bolt face I thought I might rebarrel it into a more useable caliber, and at the same time try something new...

jmano

uber Member
I can just imagine the barrel life being virtually non-existent.

6.5 Grendel - 5000+ round barrel life

add 400fps

6.5 CM - 2000 round barrel life

add 400 fps

6.5 PRC - ??? barrel life

LongRange

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
I can just imagine the barrel life being virtually non-existent.

6.5 Grendel - 5000+ round barrel life

add 400fps

6.5 CM - 2000 round barrel life

add 400 fps

6.5 PRC - ??? barrel life
barrel life is more determined by how the rifle is used...a comp rifle that is ran hot and hard(both heat and load wise)your pretty close on the 6.5CM...i dont know about a grendel but its a small case so id imagine your very close...the PRC is probably going to be around 1200 rounds give or take a few and again how its ran and what the persons definition of accurate is will make a big difference too...but im curious to hear what it actually ends up being.

SUBMOA

Harley Builder
barrel life is more determined by how the rifle is used...a comp rifle that is ran hot and hard(both heat and load wise)your pretty close on the 6.5CM...i dont know about a grendel but its a small case so id imagine your very close...the PRC is probably going to be around 1200 rounds give or take a few and again how its ran and what the persons definition of accurate is will make a big difference too...but im curious to hear what it actually ends up being.
I'm not saying its the ultimate answer, I just think, in my situation, with a blueprinted, magnum action that is basically going to waste, it might be fun to check it out.

I had the opportunity in November to shoot a TS Customs built on a Lone Peak action. First that is one really nice action and Travis makes art that shoots lights out and not rifles. As for the 6.5 PRC recoil feels lighter than the 6.5 GAP. George Gardner was part of the development of the round and claims 3k rounds for the life of the barrel.

jmano

uber Member
I had the opportunity in November to shoot a TS Customs built on a Lone Peak action. First that is one really nice action and Travis makes art that shoots lights out and not rifles. As for the 6.5 PRC recoil feels lighter than the 6.5 GAP. George Gardner was part of the development of the round and claims 3k rounds for the life of the barrel.
The problem is that developers embellish their stats. I can't imagine how it would possibly have a 50% higher barrel life than the 6.5 CM.

LongRange

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
The problem is that developers embellish their stats. I can't imagine how it would possibly have a 50% higher barrel life than the 6.5 CM.
agree...and im talking accurate rounds here...i find it hard to believe that a 6.5mm that shoots factory 147g ammo at 2910 will have a barrel life of 3000 rounds...im not saying it wont but i need to see it to believe it...a 260AI a 6.5 284 a 6.5x55AI swede ECT dont have 3k barrel life.